Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

I got a notification in GFE earlier and got excited, but no. It was a free month of adobe something or other. Oh.

Yeah i could totally see streamers and celebs buying these up - or the people that build crazy rigs for celebs. What's $10K for a box versus $5K for them...
Right up there with "angry rage gamers" smashing the hell out of their keyboards every other round. pretty much cost of doing business. hell, it may even be a tax writeoff. haha

My choices are limited to FE and Asus due to waterblock availability.

So close to pulling the trigger on the Strix model on launch day, but couldn’t get myself to spend 2k+ this go around.

I did, and it will be here tomorrow Thursday. Website still says 'Awaiting fulfillment', but if you click on it, it shows the tracking number (Fedex Ground in my case).
When did you order your card? Mine still says awaiting fulfillment and mine was ordered on the 12th.

My choices are limited to FE and Asus due to waterblock availability.

So close to pulling the trigger on the Strix model on launch day, but couldn’t get myself to spend 2k+ this go around.

I'm in a similar situation. On launch day there were 5 or 6 different models that I could have got, but they are all massive 4-slot cards (5 when you include empty slot for fan clearance). I simply can't sacrifice every expansion slot on my motherboard just for the videocard. The FE is one of the only good cards that only takes up 3 slots (4 with empty slot for fan clearance). But all the FE cards sold out even before launch since scalpers were (and still are) playing Best Buy's ordering system like a fiddle.

When did you order your card? Mine still says awaiting fulfillment and mine was ordered on the 12th.
The 12th, same as you. My also say 'Waiting for fulfillment', when I click on the order it takes me to another page where it shows the tracking number. It shipped the 14th.

The 12th, same as you. My also say 'Waiting for fulfillment', when I click on the order it takes me to another page where it shows the tracking number. It shipped the 14th.
Thank you. Unfortunately mine still says awaiting fulfillment after clicking on the order itself. Hopefully mine will show up and it may just be they didn't update the order with a tracking number. Don't think I'll be that lucky. I do find it interesting that it now says it is no longer available instead of not in stock on the bottom of the page if you try to reorder..

I actually have somone telling me that my 5800x3D isn't enough for a 4090... that I need an Intel 13th gen core or Ryzen 7000 CPU to not bottleneck it... Does anyone else actually believe this?

I actually have somone telling me that my 5800x3D isn't enough for a 4090... that I need an Intel 13th gen core or Ryzen 7000 CPU to not bottleneck it... Does anyone else actually believe this?
Well of course you could create a situation where there was a small difference but at that point it doesn't really matter unless you just want to drive yourself crazy. Plus the miniscule lead a 13900k will have will be completely wiped out when the 7000 series 3D chips come out. Basically if you have a 5800x 3D then I would not even worry about it until there is a worthwhile CPU upgrade.

Well of course you could create a situation where there was a small difference but at that point it doesn't really matter unless you just want to drive yourself crazy. Plus the miniscule lead a 13900k will have will be completely wiped out when the 7000 series 3D chips come out. Basically if you have a 5800x 3D then I would not even worry about it until there is a worthwhile CPU upgrade.
It's absolutely nuts. Any CPU upgrade at the moment is a $1000-1200 full platform rebuild for single-digit percentage increase in performance. Nobody in their right mind would think that was worth it.

Sincerely,
-Some dude who just bought a $1600 GPU.

It's absolutely nuts. Any CPU upgrade at the moment is a $1000-1200 full platform rebuild for single-digit percentage increase in performance. Nobody in their right mind would think that was worth it.

Sincerely,
-Some dude who just bought a $1600 GPU.
Haha, what's another 1-1.2K when you just spent $1600?

Someone that did not mind a 3600 because they were playing in low FPS at high graphic-resolution heavy game that goes to a 4090 could consider the 5800x3d for a reasonable price upgrade.

Make sure not to enter multiple queues on same account or it can get you flagged/softban. No opening multiple browsers and tabs for multiple queues.

Single queue open per account/IP or you can get stuck in queue forever.
Well fuck me. I had it open on my desktop, iPhone, and iPad. :rolleyes:

No wonder I didn't get it.

Somebody slap me. Please.

Reactions: AP2
like this
I often wonder who actually buys for literally thousands above retail pricing. I mean how compulsive and irresponsible do you have to be to do that. I mean it's not like a collection item or some super rare item.
Is this a joke? There are many people out there for whom $2k over MSRP is peanuts. It could be kids with wealthy parents. It could be successful YouTubers, Twitch streamers etc. Markiplier (who has 33m subs on YouTube) revealed on a podcast recently that he makes ~ $38 million per year. That's ~ $3.2 million per month. You think he'd care about dropping an extra $2k on a top-tier GPU? lol Then again, Asus would jump up and down to give him GPUs for free if he was willing to do a video about it so it would actually cost him $0.

Just another quick example to illustrate those who are 'wealthy' are on a whole another level; the Koenigsegg Jesko is a $3 million car (base price). The fully exposed carbon fiber option (no paint) alone is $440K. lol.. Imagine cruising down the road in a Lamborghini Aventador that's $400K thinking you made it only to have someone roll up in a car whose "paint" option was more expensive than your whole car!

On that note, my offer still stands - I need a brand new Asus Strix 4090 OC and an RTX 4090 FE - I'll pay $100 each on top of the price of the card + shipping for anyone who can get them and ship them to me. :)

I upgraded? from a 5900x and 3090 and thought it was going to be not that expensive. I was wrong lol. Motherboard was 550, ram 275, cpu 650, and I still need a new PSU and GPU.

I went from a 3950x to a 5800x3D since I don’t want to move to a new platform yet and don’t do anything that requires 16 cores these days. I think in a year I’ll see what’s out and maybe go with the new Intel chipset or AMD’s next round of AM5 chips.

Ordered a Gigabyte Gaming OC on day one and picked it up a couple of hours ago at Best Buy. Going to move my board to a new case and try it out in the next hour or so!

GeForce Experience redemption pick up at Best Buy
26A261AB-474B-494A-926E-CD2A58576B5C.jpeg

I’m still waiting for BB Canada to ship out their initial batch of web orders. The site said the 24th but I was hoping that was just a placeholder, looks like it might be the actual date.

Seems I missed the cut off to have my card sent out this week. Gigabyte got back to me and verified it will be sent out next week so some more patience needed on my part.

Over the past decade HardForums has helped me one way or another; I always find my way back to this little corner of the web. Anyway, does anyone know if BB ever stocked the Strix 4090?

Secondly, I am trying to target either Best Buy or Amazon (perhaps Newegg as well) for a Strix 4090; any recommended discord servers to follow for potential drops?

Anyone here with an older style Antec EATX case and an MSi 4090? Looks like I may need to get a riser for my pcie 16x slot 2 ssd (asus tuf 570 pro) and the card may be a bit too long (specs mention 13 " max length and the msi is 13.3) , not inclined to change the case for this card, it's an 1100 v2 behemoth.

Over the past decade HardForums has helped me one way or another; I always find my way back to this little corner of the web. Anyway, does anyone know if BB ever stocked the Strix 4090?

Secondly, I am trying to target either Best Buy or Amazon (perhaps Newegg as well) for a Strix 4090; any recommended discord servers to follow for potential drops?
No. I haven't seen them carry anything asus other than laptops. That's about it. Their hardware components partners seem to everyone else.

No. I haven't seen them carry anything asus other than laptops. That's about it. Their hardware components partners seem to everyone else.
Thank you. Yeah I have a scout out at the local Micro Center but who knows when the'd get a restock as they are getting random drops here and there. Dude told me on launch morning they had several Strix coming in, but I was caught up in meetings haha.

Seems like Micro Center is getting tons and tons of Asus and Gigabyte cards, but nothing on the MSI front (that seems to be BB territory). My MC contact tells me that there is little hope for Suprim X (or Liquid) from MC in the near future. Not sure how true that is for every MC distro, but that applies to Midwest at least (I am in MN).

P.s. If there is anyone here who is selling a Strix 4090 brand new, sealed, I am happy to work with you and pay you a reasonable premium over the retail cost (keyword: reasonable). Cheers!

049B8A91-1C81-4696-A7FC-826CC06E186A.jpeg

Mounted up the 4090 FE in my 5800X3D “Millenium Falcon” build (looks like junk - an NZXT 510 prebuilt case on the outside - but has it where it counts). :)

Attachments

• FE599523-3527-4CED-BD97-269B0B635AEB.jpeg
    FE599523-3527-4CED-BD97-269B0B635AEB.jpeg
    534.4 KB · Views: 0
Thank you. Yeah I have a scout out at the local Micro Center but who knows when the'd get a restock as they are getting random drops here and there. Dude told me on launch morning they had several Strix coming in, but I was caught up in meetings haha.

Seems like Micro Center is getting tons and tons of Asus and Gigabyte cards, but nothing on the MSI front (that seems to be BB territory). My MC contact tells me that there is little hope for Suprim X (or Liquid) from MC in the near future. Not sure how true that is for every MC distro, but that applies to Midwest at least (I am in MN).

P.s. If there is anyone here who is selling a Strix 4090 brand new, sealed, I am happy to work with you and pay you a reasonable premium over the retail cost (keyword: reasonable). Cheers!
Don’t feel bad they were out of STRIX for anyone that wasn’t there by 6am. I got there at 515am and only 4 sold after me. MN represent!

Don’t feel bad they were out of STRIX for anyone that wasn’t there by 6am. I got there at 515am and only 4 sold after me. MN represent!
hey another Minnesotan! Thanks for the encouraging words friend! I am in Eden Prairie. Say "hi" over DM!
yeah, I guess you are right. Patience is keen now. Seemed like Amazon had the Strix was in stock today on Amazon.

Anyone here rocking an Antec 1100 and a 4090 care to chime in on fitment? Skeptical if the MSI will fit..

Anyone here rocking an Antec 1100 and a 4090 care to chime in on fitment? Skeptical if the MSI will fit..
Unless it's the water cooled one, Highly doubtfull. The max GPU length that case can accommodate is 330 mm. Most of MSI cards are longer than that by at least 5-6 mm.

Last edited:
I was strictly considering the 4090 FE, due to the looks, the size, etc. Third party card designs were even less appealing than last gen, and no white options. Worse, they are usually $100-$400 more.

Though, I ended up getting the Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC from BB, due to how the FE launch went. It was a last minute decision. I told myself I’d return it if I was able to later get an FE. But now I’m not sure which I’d keep or try to get an FE anymore.

To my surprise, despite $100 more, it at least seems to run really cooler compared to most cards, especially the memory. Visually, mixed bag, the backplate is nice, the flow of the fins is nice, but the side and font work is a bit cheap. Overall, it blends into the build well enough.

So again, since it fits, including the bracket, works, runs cool and quiet, I think I might keep it over continuing to search for an FE.

Anyone else have that happen? Desired to only get an FE, tried a different card in the meantime, pleasantly surprised with what you got, and no longer bothering with an FE?

I was strictly considering the 4090 FE, due to the looks, the size, etc. Third party card designs were even less appealing than last gen, and no white options. Worse, they are usually $100-$400 more.

Though, I ended up getting the Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC from BB, due to how the FE launch went. It was a last minute decision. I told myself I’d return it if I was able to later get an FE. But now I’m not sure which I’d keep or try to get an FE anymore.

To my surprise, despite $100 more, it at least seems to run really cooler compared to most cards, especially the memory. Visually, mixed bag, the backplate is nice, the flow of the fins is nice, but the side and font work is a bit cheap. Overall, it blends into the build well enough.

So again, since it fits, including the bracket, works, runs cool and quiet, I think I might keep it over continuing to search for an FE.

Anyone else have that happen? Desired to only get an FE, tried a different card in the meantime, pleasantly surprised with what you got, and no longer bothering with an FE?
Me for sure.

I told myself I wanted a 4090 FE only and was willing to wait... but then I had the Gigabyte Windforce 4090 in my cart for Newegg on launch day... and I bought it.

For a bottom-of-the-barrel card, it performs exceptionally well. It boosts to 2700+ Mhz when gaming and stays under 68c even when playing Cyberpunk 2077 maxed out. Coil whine sucks, but I guess that's par for the course at this point. As for performance, it is literally 2x as fast as my 3080 FE and runs significantly cooler too.

I'm still contemplating selling it for around $200 less than what I paid for it and getting an FE, but I'm not sure it's worth it, tbh. It's still a great card.

Back