Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

Overpriced TUF OC seemed to be orderable with an expected ship date of the 20th for nearly an hour on Newegg tonight. I refuse to pay $200 extra for that joke...but it may be a sign of things to come in the near future that they were ok taking that many orders.

For me it seemed if you really tried to get a card at launch time on Newegg you could have gotten one, they were in stock for a decent amount of time (long enough to order one anyway, nothing like the 30 series was) and were going in and out of stock for hours after.
The Suprim Liquid has been going in and out of stock since launch on Newegg. I really don't think it was that difficult to secure a card across Bestbuy/newegg/centralcomputers/amazon.

Well, just goes to show some folks really want a 4090. Guess we'll see how long this kind of demand lasts on Ebay.
Wont last long.

SmartSelect_20221014_013751_Chrome.jpg

The Suprim Liquid has been going in and out of stock since launch on Newegg. I really don't think it was that difficult to secure a card across Bestbuy/newegg/centralcomputers/amazon.
You should try Best Buy and Amazon. Amazon has shit stock so does Best Buy it seems.

me and a bud was hoping things wouldnt be a s bad as the 3090 launch but BB had 0 security for stopping scalpers no captcha nothing ppl using bots got all the stock before BB even posted to the site. nvidia never even had any to sell and the site kept showing access denied. so this launch and possibly every launch going forward will require bots to even buy new hardware.

anyone know of any bots regular ppl can use that wont send the details back to the owners so credit card data isnt siphoned back to the ppl making them?

dont feel like spending another $4000 for a gpu.

me and a bud was hoping things wouldnt be a s bad as the 3090 launch but BB had 0 security for stopping scalpers no captcha nothing ppl using bots got all the stock before BB even posted to the site. nvidia never even had any to sell and the site kept showing access denied. so this launch and possibly every launch going forward will require bots to even buy new hardware.

anyone know of any bots regular ppl can use that wont send the details back to the owners so credit card data isnt siphoned back to the ppl making them?

dont feel like spending another $4000 for a gpu.
there's plenty of stock

:D

not in canada and not us BB buddy who lives / works in states got the nvidia gfe email trying to get a FE. seen some dickhead in waterloo canada got ahold of 12 FE models, sold em on ebay for $4800 each.

not in canada and not us BB buddy who lives / works in states got the nvidia gfe email trying to get a FE. seen some dickhead in waterloo canada got ahold of 12 FE models, sold em on ebay for $4800 each.
yea, I was merely quoting what others were saying. I sort of figured it wouldn't be an exact repeat of the 3series, but I doubted there was going to be full shelves of the 4series for some time.

For me it seemed if you really tried to get a card at launch time on Newegg you could have gotten one, they were in stock for a decent amount of time (long enough to order one anyway, nothing like the 30 series was) and were going in and out of stock for hours after.
I should be more specific - I'm only looking for the RoG Strix 4090 OC and FE (getting 2x 4090s).

I had the Strix in cart and ready to checkout, NewEgg asked for 2FA and I didn't have my phone with me. Came back with it 15 seconds later and it was gone.

Strix allegedly came back in stock ~ 9:30AM CST and I was able to add it multiple times to my cart but NewEgg wouldn't let me checkout - it kept saying it was out of stock and it removed it from the cart.

After that, the Strix has NEVER been in stock.

I'm not interested in the other AIBs. As far as the 4090 FE is concerned, I didn't know about the 'secret link' bullshit until later in the day and by then, it would say "you're in line" and sit there spinning for 15 minutes only to put me into an empty cart and force me to retry over and over to no avail.

The end result is that I have not been able to purchase a 4090. I want a Strix and an FE.

The last time Strix 4090 OC was in stock on NewEgg was ~ 9:30am CST on Oct. 12th. I've been checking since then and it has not been in stock at all while many other AIBs have come in and out of stock. Like someone else said, the Suprim Liquid was in stock for like 5 - 10 mins yesterday and I could've easily gotten that but that is not the card I want.

Having said that, if someone here is next to a MicroCenter and can purchase the Strix for me, I'll pay an extra $100 on top of the cost of the card + shipping/handling.

Would really appreciate some help here.

Thanks in advance.

i cursed it by saying all the miners who made out like bandits were going to use that cash to start up scalping instead and it was as much a mess as id expected ill wait see what happens in next 16-24 months i suppose see if it changes or maybe when the 5000 drops may get a chance to pick up a 4090Ti in few years. ill copper mod my current 3090 fe to stretch out its lifespan.

yea, I was merely quoting what others were saying. I sort of figured it wouldn't be an exact repeat of the 3series, but I doubted there was going to be full shelves of the 4series for some time.
It's reminding me of the previous couple generations. The 3 series generation was just an anomaly. With mining going down and the supply chain coming back, you should slowly start to be able to buy the card after a couple months, if it follows the 1080 & 2080. Plus, in December, you have AMD with their next generation, and the 4080 series coming out, which should lower the demand for the 4090.

I think the scalping will stop within a month. Not many people are buying them and they will need to return the cards to the store within 2 weeks if they want their money back.

Having said that, if someone here is next to a MicroCenter and can purchase the Strix for me, I'll pay an extra $100 on top of the cost of the card + shipping/handling.
Microcenter is sold out as well, maybe after restocking but who knows when.

That’s weird, as far as I know Canada BB hasn’t shipped yet and I haven’t seen any reports of people getting them in store. Wonder if that guy worked in the warehouse and they fell off the back of a truck.

I think the scalping will stop within a month. Not many people are buying them and they will need to return the cards to the store within 2 weeks if they want their money back.
Agreed. If nothing else happens and the stock starts to get better then the scalping will stop quickly. They will only make money off of people with 0 patience and money to burn at this point anyhow.

Agreed. If nothing else happens and the stock starts to get better then the scalping will stop quickly. They will only make money off of people with 0 patience and money to burn at this point anyhow.
I think they will artificially limit 4K series to get people to buy the remainder 3k series. Already feels like it’s happening at Best Buy.

I think they will artificially limit 4K series to get people to buy the remainder 3k series. Already feels like it’s happening at Best Buy.
Unless you're going for high refresh rates @ 1440p or want to finally game in 4k, the 30 series is good enough for most people. The average person still uses a 1080p monitor. And they're going to be significantly easier to find, plus be a lot cheaper.

The 4080 rasterization was one of the issues people brought up. It's not that much of an upgrade, and NVidia's own benchmarks obscure it by including DLSS 3 to make that portion seem significantly better. But then it becomes a question of how many games will use DLSS 3, and what about the issues people have been bringing up with DLSS 3 (lag, image quality, etc.).

The 4090 on the other hand still appears to be the big winner.

Unless you're going for high refresh rates @ 1440p or want to finally game in 4k, the 30 series is good enough for most people. The average person still uses a 1080p monitor. And they're going to be significantly easier to find, plus be a lot cheaper.

The 4080 rasterization was one of the issues people brought up. It's not that much of an upgrade, and NVidia's own benchmarks obscure it by including DLSS 3 to make that portion seem significantly better. But then it becomes a question of how many games will use DLSS 3, and what about the issues people have been bringing up with DLSS 3 (lag, image quality, etc.).

The 4090 on the other hand still appears to be the big winner.
The average person considering spending $1600-$1800 on a 4090 is not using a 1080p monitor though, and those are the people Nvidia is trying to get to buy 30series instead. We're talking about the top 5% here, maybe less.

I mean looking at the September Steam hardware survey, 0.47% of people are using a 3090. That's half as many people as are still using a 960. It's not like the everyman is trying to buy a 4090 when a 3090 is just fine for them, they aren't shopping for either.

Last edited:
...Is this....is this real? I'm still not sure I believe this, especially with the way Nvidia is calling it an "unlaunching". URL and everything checks out...but wow.
Its real, it's under featured stories.

...Is this....is this real? I'm still not sure I believe this, especially with the way Nvidia is calling it an "unlaunching". URL and everything checks out...but wow.
they definitely aren't trying to get a lot of attention on this shameful announcement.

That’s weird, as far as I know Canada BB hasn’t shipped yet and I haven’t seen any reports of people getting them in store. Wonder if that guy worked in the warehouse and they fell off the back of a truck.
seen the guys pic of getting 12 thank you notifications he used a bot to buy what he could before BB even listed em it was outa stock before they system even listed em lol, but it was enough for him to show pics of it and list on ebay. it was $4000 then $4500 30 mins later then $4800.

I should be more specific - I'm only looking for the RoG Strix 4090 OC and FE (getting 2x 4090s).

I had the Strix in cart and ready to checkout, NewEgg asked for 2FA and I didn't have my phone with me. Came back with it 15 seconds later and it was gone.

Strix allegedly came back in stock ~ 9:30AM CST and I was able to add it multiple times to my cart but NewEgg wouldn't let me checkout - it kept saying it was out of stock and it removed it from the cart.

I'm not interested in the other AIBs. As far as the 4090 FE is concerned, I didn't know about the 'secret link' bullshit until later in the day and by then, it would say "you're in line" and sit there spinning for 15 minutes only to put me into an empty cart and force me to retry over and over to no avail.

The end result is that I have not been able to purchase a 4090. I want a Strix and an FE.

The last time Strix 4090 OC was in stock on NewEgg was ~ 9:30am CST on Oct. 12th. I've been checking since then and it has not been in stock at all while many other AIBs have come in and out of stock. Like someone else said, the Suprim Liquid was in stock for like 5 - 10 mins yesterday and I could've easily gotten that but that is not the card I want.

Thanks in advance.

Ahh yes, the Strix was not in stock long, I was able to get one right when they went live on Newegg but did not see them come back in stock after, although did see the Strix and a PS combo come up briefly. But if most any 4090 would work than most people could have gotten one at Newegg at launch time.

seen the guys pic of getting 12 thank you notifications he used a bot to buy what he could before BB even listed em it was outa stock before they system even listed em lol, but it was enough for him to show pics of it and list on ebay. it was $4000 then $4500 30 mins later then $4800.

Good for him if he manages to find 12 idiots who deserve to be separated from their money.

If anyone removes the stock hsf off their new shiny 4090 to put on a waterblock be sure not to store the stock hsf in their garage rafters if you live a cold climate. Put my hsf back on my strix 3090 to sell (have strix 4090 otw), tested it out and temps were in the 90s and gpu core was like 400 mhz.. removed the cooler to find this. Asus was good about rmaing it though, shipped it out less than a week ago and its already on its way back from being repaired, be here tomorrow.

IMG20221006213555.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Good luck man. Got my STRIX at Micro Center day one and I just ordered an FE today via the GeForce Experience. Says I can pick up on Wednesday. Just gotta sell my two 3090 Ti cards now...price seems to be going up on those which is good (as people realize the 4080 isn't gonna be that much faster sans DLSS 3.0).

I'd be interested to see how many buying a 4090, are actually on 4K setups.
For me, I more care about the 1440p performance. I prefer high frame rate over resolution. While I do have a 4K display, the performance is just not there yet for my tastes.

If anyone removes the stock hsf off their new shiny 4090 to put on a waterblock be sure not to store the stock hsf in their garage rafters if you live a cold climate. Put my hsf back on my strix 3090 to sell (have strix 4090 otw), tested it out and temps were in the 90s and gpu core was like 400 mhz.. removed the cooler to find this. Asus was good about rmaing it though, shipped it out less than a week ago and its already on its way back from being repaired, be here tomorrow.

View attachment 518446

How does this happen???

Heat pipes have water in them....but it's a tiny amount so the water freezing shouldn't create enough pressure to do that. Seems weird to me too.
Yeah from freezing.. the stock hsf was never used, took it off right when I got the card, still had the clear protective films on it. I had the stock hsf from my ftw3 3090 and ftw3 3080 TI in the garage as well, checked those and they were fine luckily, did not burst from freezing. Guess the Asus had more water than they did or something.

As I'm trying to max out 4k@120hz, I think I'll wait a bit and see how the partner cards do. Also interested in how much of a difference there is down to the 4080 and the not so 4080.

I'm getting the custom loop itch again (haven't build one since socket 939 and gtx 7800), so in the end I might just pick the cheapest 4090 anyway.

As I'm trying to max out 4k@120hz, I think I'll wait a bit and see how the partner cards do. Also interested in how much of a difference there is down to the 4080 and the not so 4080.

I'm getting the custom loop itch again (haven't build one since socket 939 and gtx 7800), so in the end I might just pick the cheapest 4090 anyway.
Seems like they are 1-2% better at best. I wouldn't pay up for the partner cards this time around.

Anyone know how to increase the voltage on the 4090? The voltage slider is greyed out on latest MSI Afterburner.

Anyone know how to increase the voltage on the 4090? The voltage slider is greyed out on latest MSI Afterburner.
shunt mod/firmware I would guess is the only way. From what I have seen they are all voltage locked and that is the limiting factor for overclocking them even more.

are you using all 4 8 pin or dedicated 12 pin? that's the only way. also in afterburner make sure you went in to settings and "unlock voltage control" and even though i have an asus card i had to change the dropdown box to "msi extended" to get the full unlock on my card, so you could experiment with those settings. also make sure you have latest release of afterburner??

Back