Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

Asked my wife if she could to head by Microcenter and see if she could grab another one and boy they still have 40+. So she got a gigabyte gaming oc. My nephew is getting an early Christmas present.
Microcenter in Houston was running low. Or at least appeared to be.

Wow, one reviewer even got lower temps with my middle tier Gigabyte Gaming OC card than the $300 more expensive STRIX.

View attachment 517881
The Strix does have a 500W VBIOS setting out of the box without touching the power slider. The FE, and I assume the other $1599 cards, have a 450W VBIOS power setting out of the box.

I'm guessing that extra 50W of power may have something to do with it. But yeah, the asking price for 3% more performance isn't worth it IMO.

The Strix does have a 500W VBIOS setting out of the box without touching the power slider. The FE, and I assume the other $1599 cards, have a 450W VBIOS power setting out of the box.

I'm guessing that extra 50W of power may have something to do with it. But yeah, the asking price for 3% more performance isn't worth it IMO.
From Techpowerup:

1665597265825.png

So you need some back channel bullshit to get an FE card now? What a fucking joke.
It's not really a backchannel thing. It's just an extra parameter in the URL that automatically puts you in queue as soon as page loads. I'll post it here in a minute.

Edit: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia...and-black/6521430.p?skuId=6521430&addchv=true

Yes I saw that too. So IMO they all sold to bots. If not, why would the verbiage switch at launch time.
Wasn't really bots that got them - most bots were caught flat-footed since BB changed password requirements (when logging in from a different IP that BB doesn't recognize, they now require password changed to a unique password- this tweak alone broke most bots).

It was really just dudes camping discord and twitter waiting for notifications and links.

Last edited:
Microcenter in Houston was running low. Or at least appeared to be.
Thats the one we both went to. Salesman in the back told her there were 4 different cards left, 3 of them had 10+ and the Tuf she said had 20+ left (we can all guess why).

Does anyone know anyone outside of EVGA who does cross shipment. Trying to find a new vendor after EVGA decided not to make the 4000 series. It was great that they could do cross shipment if there was ever an issue

I have to re do everything. The radiator was blocking the card View attachment 517891
Wait the card didn't fit with a side mounted radiator in the XL? Did you have both the fans and radiator on the inside? I know I can't fit a 4090 in my XL without putting a water block on it. I have a 3080ti with a WB and it runs against the res/pump I have mounted on the side fans.

Legit, seems to be working.
Why the fuck there is Michigan in state list Lmao. Couldn't do it cuz there was MI wasn't in drop down on my phone lmao. Now its OOS. BestBuy has been dropping them as well but no luck there. It seems to go out in no time there. One is always waiting in line.

Last edited:
Does anyone know anyone outside of EVGA who does cross shipment. Trying to find a new vendor after EVGA decided not to make the 4000 series. It was great that they could do cross shipment if there was ever an issue
Any card sold on Amazon if you know what I mean.

Wait the card didn't fit with a side mounted radiator in the XL? Did you have both the fans and radiator on the inside? I know I can't fit a 4090 in my XL without putting a water block on it. I have a 3080ti with a WB and it runs against the res/pump I have mounted on the side fans.
I had it in push pull on the inside.

I just moved it to the top.
I'll use the other set of fans on that right hand side when I find the screws for it.

Last edited:
Man this was janky as all hell on x670.

27244FAA-F780-463C-8F29-39E2FE70E44F.jpeg

I had to turn on integrated video to get windows to work and clear the cmos.
Installing the driver manually fixed it.

Last edited:
Yeah - I had to use a USB-C cable for video. DisplayPort didn’t even work on the card until NVIDIA drivers were installed.
It is so weird. I couldn't even get into the bios before resetting cmos to restore iGPU and actually plugging a monitor into the iGPU.

It is so weird. I couldn't even get into the bios before resetting cmos to restore iGPU and actually plugging a monitor into the iGPU.
You had a prior card? I built my rig and was only using APU until I could get a 4090.

That’d be whack if your old NVIDIA drivers didn’t work…

I ended up getting the gigabyte 4900 OC. The sites were getting hammered and glitching, I grabbed whatever I could and ended up getting the gigabyte from newegg and the MSI from bestbuy. 2 cards! I hung on to them a bit just to make sure an order wouldn't get cancelled due to a glitch and then I cancelled the MSI card at bestbuy. Sure I could have sold it for more but that's a dick move. Better if someone else can have a shot at it.

I'm upgrading from a 980ti. So I really needed this!

I ended up getting the gigabyte 4900 OC. The sites were getting hammered and glitching, I grabbed whatever I could and ended up getting the gigabyte from newegg and the MSI from bestbuy. 2 cards! I hung on to them a bit just to make sure an order wouldn't get cancelled due to a glitch and then I cancelled the MSI card at bestbuy. Sure I could have sold it for more but that's a dick move. Better if someone else can have a shot at it.

I'm upgrading from a 980ti. So I really needed this!
That's going to be a monster upgrade.

It fits the XL fine. I had a 360 rad on the side with 2 stacks of fans causing about 1/2” of interference height wise.

I could have just put one set of fans on the back side, but moved it to the top since the 3080 rad was coming out.

Though I would love to change to a 240 aio and get your case. That looks sweet.
Ah nice. Lian Li has some nice rad hiding spots. The 011 Mini can take a 280MM rad - up to 3 of them.

Back