Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

I'm just going to wait for reviews and see if any one of the big brands is going to experience problems like overheating, coil whine, fan noise, etc. But I'm still leaning towards Suprim X. Never had any issues with Asus, EVGA, or MSI cards. Any reason you prefer Gigabyte?
I'm either going 4090 FE or MSI Suprim. Can't make up my mind.

Reactions: cvinh
like this
I'm just going to wait for reviews and see if any one of the big brands is going to experience problems like overheating, coil whine, fan noise, etc. But I'm still leaning towards Suprim X. Never had any issues with Asus, EVGA, or MSI cards. Any reason you prefer Gigabyte?
Gigabyte graphics cards are usually lower priced in my country compared to other brands and they come with a 4-year manufacturer's warranty provided you register it on their website. I had a Gigabyte 2080 Gaming OC before and I had no issues with it. It was a cool and quiet card. Besides the Windforce, I'm also considering the Asus TUF 4090.

Reactions: cvinh
like this
I think most of us ITX people are getting the FE unless there’s another card that size from an AIB. I kind of wanted another strix until I saw the size.

Also while pricing sucks this isn’t so far off from the 3090 launch and sadly $2k every 2 years is now my cheapest hobby.

I think most of us ITX people are getting the FE unless there’s another card that size from an AIB. I kind of wanted another strix until I saw the size.

Also while pricing sucks this isn’t so far off from the 3090 launch and sadly $2k every 2 years is now my cheapest hobby.
Aren't temperatures likely a problem with itx and these cards?

I can't imagine sticking one of these in SFF given the amount of power they consume.

Due to the humongous size of these air cool 4090 cards, how many are considering AIO such as MSI suprim liquid x, gigabyte waterforce or custom loop option? Currently I've an AIO EVGA hybrid card which runs great. I'll probably sit out of the air cool option for now and wait for the dust to settle.

1665152969697.png

Due to the humongous size of these air cool 4090 cards, how many are considering AIO such as MSI suprim liquid x, gigabyte waterforce or custom loop option? Currently I've an AIO EVGA hybrid card which runs great. I'll probably sit out of the air cool option for now and wait for the dust to settle.

View attachment 516789
I certainly am, but as I said before it looks to me like the MSI AIO is the same specs as the 3080 AIO, so I'm not sure how well it will cool these new cards.

I have a Fractal Torrent. Not really built for AIO so I'll go aircooled for now.

Would be curious people who are actually buying an RTX-4090 at lunch, what card do they currently have?

Yes if you have a 1080 To or 2080 Ti yes a 4090 is understandable to a degree.

But there's no way anyone with a 3090 or 3090 Ti u
Is buying a 4090? That would be clinically insane.

But whatever, it's your money, and I guess people have zero concern in being the cause of skyrocketing GPU prices.
1070 SC. 4090 will be a yuuggeee upgrade for me. unfortunately a costly one as I will need a new case as well. My Rosewill Thor is too small for the AIB cards and not designed to accommodate radiators well so the AIO are problematic. I can do the MSI 2 fan model, but not sure that will be enough for these beats cards. It wont be at launch though, a few weeks after, vacation dictates spending ~$1600+ on a GPU is rather foolish until we return.

It wont be at launch though, a few weeks after, vacation dictates spending ~$1600+ on a GPU is rather foolish until we return.
I wouldn't bank on that either. Looks at the 3000series fiasco. I mean, how long was it until they were actually somewhat obtainable? A year? Curious to see how this one runs.

Would be curious people who are actually buying an RTX-4090 at lunch, what card do they currently have?

But whatever, it's your money, and I guess people have zero concern in being the cause of skyrocketing GPU prices.

I don't think that consumers who buy cards for gaming are very high up on the list of reasons why GPU prices skyrocketed. Cryptocurrency mining was obviously the main reason. You also can't overlook the fact that top-end GPUs are getting larger and more complex with every new generation. We've never had a card as big and complex as the 4090 before, so why would you expect the price to match up with that of a smaller older card? And actually, if you compare the cost of the 4090 to the cost of multi-GPU SLI or Crossfire setups that people have run in the past, there are already examples of people 10+ years ago that were spending more on their GPUs than what the 4090 costs today, even without taking inflation into account. If you compare the size and complexity of the 4090 to something like the Radeon 9700 Pro from 20 years ago, you could easily make the argument that it is the later, not the former that was overpriced compared to what you got. The 9700 Pro was so small, it's closer in size to that of a modern network card or sound card than a modern GPU.

I've had my 2080 for a long time now and resisted upgrading throughout all of the cryptocurrency BS. I'm pegged at 100% GPU usage in every game that I play so clearly it's time. I had been saving up, resigned to the idea that cryptocurrency mining would never end and I would be spending ~$2000 on something like a 3090 or 4070, or basically, an insane price for a mediocre or old card. At least with the 4090 you are paying an insane price for an insane (and new) card.

I wouldn't bank on that either. Looks at the 3000series fiasco. I mean, how long was it until they were actually somewhat obtainable? A year? Curious to see how this one runs.

Do you still think that availability will be an issue even with cryptocurrency mining being a thing of the past? It's certainly possible that GPU scarcity will continue to some extent simply based on market inertia, but ultimately a LOT has changed since then and now.

Do you still think that availability will be an issue even with cryptocurrency mining being a thing of the past? It's certainly possible that GPU scarcity will continue to some extend simply based on market inertia, but ultimately a LOT has changed since then and now.
ah, ok. I haven't shopped since I got my 3070 after hounding sellers for months. I know the pressure has relieved, but I sort of expected a similar launch with the next gen stuff. The hole FOMO on literally everything from food, to music, to tech has no bounds.

I'm not - mostly just watching in case something comes up from the compute side with them, since I still dabble over there too.

View attachment 516789
Were I getting a 4090, it'd either be on water or an AIO - no way I'm dealing with that on air./

I have a 3090, 6900XT and 3080Ti. I may get a 4090 next year when they go on fire sale. More interested in getting a good monitor at this time.

Nvidia can charge what ever they want, same with AIBs. No one has to bite. At this time I don't see $1700 worth of anything out of a 4090. That can change as well.

Anyone got 100k for the Aorus 4090?
I thought about their card (not for that price) as I had an Aorus Master 3090 which was a great card. That display screen though got more annoying than anything and I see they are still using it on the 4090 card. Probably a no go for me.

Given the physical size... I may actually pass. Like my 3090 is already stupidly large, I don't know that a 4090 will fit in my case. I am the kind of crazy that like to get the latest greatest all the time, but I just dunno about this.

I'm going to wait and consider for a bit.

Given the physical size... I may actually pass. Like my 3090 is already stupidly large, I don't know that a 4090 will fit in my case. I am the kind of crazy that like to get the latest greatest all the time, but I just dunno about this.

I'm going to wait and consider for a bit.
Same. I'm going to wait and see what the AMD 7000 GPUs bring to the table - I've seen rumors that they're going to be a beast and will hopefully not be stupidly large.

It's very simple to me. If you work for your money, you have every right to buy what you what. And not listen to someone who doesn't like the prices. All that says is they cannot afford it. I will always pick Nvidia over AMD. Tried them many years ago and know of others that feel the same way. Where bad back then. Always had problems.

You'd be surprised. There are some that buys the top of the line card at every generation. I'm soo not in that camp, but they are definitely on this forum. Some people just have money to burn and that's cool I guess.

It's very simple to me. If you work for your money, you have every right to buy what you what. And not listen to someone who doesn't like the prices. All that says is they cannot afford it. I will always pick Nvidia over AMD. Tried them many years ago and know of others that feel the same way. Where bad back then. Always had problems.
Still have problems. I bought the 6800xt on release date because I couldn’t get a 3080 and coming from a 1070 I had quite a few issues getting things to work as I had set up before swapping. Ended up putting the 6800xt in another rig because I gave up on my specific setup.

Tried them many years ago and know of others that feel the same way.
Same here. Had decent luck with them way back using Omega drivers (X850 XT was my last stable card), and then couldn't get an AMD/ATI card to work right from there on out. Went back to Nvidia and stayed with them since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Careful on this. There are many people out there that buy based on what they think a product is worth, regardless of what they can afford. Assuming someone can't afford it because they complain about it is pretty shallow IMO.

Reactions: noko
like this
The size of the cards forbid me from getting any of them. I need 2x of the cards for rendering. My case does not support water cooling. I should not have gotten a Falcon Northwest Talon. Case is to small. Oh well.

The size of the cards forbid me from getting any of them. I need 2x of the cards for rendering. My case does not support water cooling. I should not have gotten a Falcon Northwest Talon. Case is to small. Oh well.
Yeah I’ve measured twice and I’m still nervous about the STRIX. I am guessing there will be quite a few returns…

I could see demand for FE being high because it’s a “reasonable” 304 MM.

None. They are too big.

Won’t fit in my Cooler Master SL600M case. My Asus Tuf 3080 barely fits.

I mean do people really think this is…expected? The Asus Strix 4090 is nearly the size of a PS5!!!

1665244735516.png

Most people…

1665244820387.png

I can afford it - I don't particularly like the prices either, as I don't think the uplift so far in this generation justifies it. When we get real reviews on performance out that may change, but right now I'm seeing a "good" but not groundbreaking release which doesn't justify the hike, especially given that I'm already almost 100% on Ampere or 6000 series across the board.

like this
Still have problems. I bought the 6800xt on release date because I couldn’t get a 3080 and coming from a 1070 I had quite a few issues getting things to work as I had set up before swapping. Ended up putting the 6800xt in another rig because I gave up on my specific setup.
I still have all my cards right from my first I bought. A Nvidia Riva TNT 16 mb.Never sold any of my cards.

I can afford it - I don't particularly like the prices either, as I don't think the uplift so far in this generation justifies it. When we get real reviews on performance out that may change, but right now I'm seeing a "good" but not groundbreaking release which doesn't justify the hike, especially given that I'm already almost 100% on Ampere or 6000 series across the board.
I don't expect people who have last gen cards to buy the RTX 4000. Look at the spec's in my sig. I am still using it. If you don't like the card don't buy it. No one is forcing you to buy it.

I don't expect people who have last gen cards to buy the RTX 4000. Look at the spec's in my sig. I am still using it. If you don't like the card don't buy it. No one is forcing you to buy it.
I have a 3080 10gb. The new 4090 is going to be a huge upgrade for me.

Even then I can be unhappy with the precedent being set by extreme pricing. Heck, I don't even pay for parts of my systems, thanks to various things, and I don't like what the pricing is doing to the hobby. :(

like this
Back