Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

I'm thinking I'll either get the Gigabyte Windforce OC model because it comes with a 4-year warranty, or the FE because I prefer the design aesthetic and the FE cards seem to hold their resale value down the line better than the AIB cards.

I wonder how much it would cost (specially with little of a challenge a GPU seem to be in the PCI 5.0 bandwith world) to have and use the very bottom slot for a GPU (moving connector under it would it need be), this way all the PCI slot become free again at what could be a reasonable price, just need a case with room under the motherboard.
We have hit the, They don't give a shit teritory! In the past this would never been considred as it was a PC. A multi function unit. It is now a glorified console.

So in the US, are the founder's editions only going to be at Best Buy again or are they being sold through Nvidia's site like past generations?

So in the US, are the founder's editions only going to be at Best Buy again or are they being sold through Nvidia's site like past generations?

I would guess only at BB as they haven't given any indication they were changing their plans.

Might pick up an FE at Best Buy in tax free New Hampshire 20 minutes north if reviews say it's quiet. Otherwise I'm skipping this gen, the 3080 is still doing its job well.

I have both a 3090 and an AMD RX6900. I am good for 2-3 cycles. The days buying a graphics each generation is over for me.

Depends of PSU requirements not going to sprint for a 1000 Watt PSU just to get the card functional.

Ok, change my mind about air cool card. Seems like all the RTX4090 are freaking long, tall, thick and heavy.

Last edited:
Let's be honest... 99% of the 4090 cards are butt ugly. I don't even know what card to get anymore. Suprim X looked okay at first but now it's just ugly with the its weird colors that don't match any build. FE looks the best, but might not have the best cooling and noise. Aorus Master looks nice but too gigantic with 3 110mm fans. Strix only looks nice from the side. TUF is okay I guess.

I would guess only at BB as they haven't given any indication they were changing their plans.

Ugh. When Best Buy sells Founders Edition cards, do they ship them or are they in-store pickup only?

Last edited:
Ugh. When Best Buy sells Founders Edition cards, do they ship them or are the in-store pickup only?

Depends. They will ship regionally depending on store allocations. Some regions have shipping available, others do not.

Ugh. When Best Buy sells Founders Edition cards, do they ship them or are they in-store pickup only?
I don't think there will be a problem getting FE cards. NV has lots of product in the pipeline. So do the AIB partners. Those wafers can't just sit there and do nothing.

Ok, change my mind about air cool card. Seems like all the RTX4090 are freaking long, tall, thick and heavy.

I'm a function over form guy, but that... that's just stupid now. Nvidia is firmly into the realm of stupid.

Looks like PCIe x16 4.0 cable out the case to a separate GPU card case will become a viable option while looking stupid in itself. That is for the air-cooled ones. Also, for the hybrids, I am wondering if the coolers are actually large enough to removed max power from the GPU like those huge, air-cooled ones?

600w inside the case is not new, those who SLI/CFX did go beyond that in the past. A.K.A two Vega's CFX, even 2x 1080Ti's OC would do it.

The size of these cards is unworkable for many of us and just plain ridicules. I wonder how many complaints will be coming forth on those not measuring, buying on impulse etc. Looks like some entertainment will be coming with hacksawed opened cases with cards sticking out of them.

I don't think there will be a problem getting FE cards. NV has lots of product in the pipeline. So do the AIB partners. Those wafers can't just sit there and do nothing.

I'm not worried about supply as much as I am the fact that I live 90 minutes away from the nearest Best Buy (Assuming that ends up being the only place to get a FE card). Hopefully they are doing more than just in-store pickup. I guess we'll find out next week.

I want every PCIe slot available, at least cable fittable if covered. Only a few of the 4090's would do that, MSI Suprim Liquid, Gigabyte Extreme Waterforce. Something like the 3090 EVGA Hybrid below fitting nicely in a medium size Corsair case with the 5800X3D:

5800X3D.jpg
Allowing access to every pcie slot:​
20221006_201908.jpg
Definitely wait on reviews, a little maturity to avoid what seems to be the normal Nvidia launch debacles and AMD RNDA 3 cards. Then again, my use case may not be there, as in I already have all the performance I need already.​

According to optimum tech, the 4090 FE can fit into one of the ITX cases shown here (Formd T1 case), in case anyone is wondering. Good luck in trying to cool this beast.

1665108447354.png

Honestly glad I am skipping this gen. $1600gpu + $300 wb + $100~ for a 3rd 360 rad.

Nvidia designs chips for their super-computers and attempts to sell them to gaming market... no wonder they look ridiculous and will melt not only your heart but also power cables 😵

I want every PCIe slot available, at least cable fittable if covered. Only a few of the 4090's would do that, MSI Suprim Liquid, Gigabyte Extreme Waterforce. Something like the 3090 EVGA Hybrid below fitting nicely in a medium size Corsair case with the 5800X3D:

Allowing access to every pcie slot:​
Definitely wait on reviews, a little maturity to avoid what seems to be the normal Nvidia launch debacles and AMD RNDA 3 cards. Then again, my use case may not be there, as in I already have all the performance I need already.​
Size seems to be a problem for people in all directions. In Europe, its hard to get FE cards and since I hate noise, I would most likely get an AIB card anyway. In my case, the CM SL600M, I have no problem with height or width, but length is a problem (318mm). Perhaps I can regain some lenght by removing the PSU cover, but that exposes the PSU more to the heat from the GPU. Since I can rotate the PCI brackets, I can get space for PCI card with riser cable and even a 4 slot GPU. With 2X 200mm fans on bottom and 2X 200mm fans on top, heat wont be an issue. Worse case, I remove filter from bottom and reverse the fans. But, the height of the card and the placement of the power cable might be an issue with CPU cooler if to avoid bending too much. People really need to measure in all directions here if they are going to use AIB cards.

I'll be waiting for reviews, RDNA 3 cards and also what early adopters might encounter with the new cards.

innerrearmod2.jpg

Reactions: noko
like this
LOL $2k for a single video card WTF? Please do not give nVidia your hard earned money on such an overpriced product. I don't want $1500+ prices on GPUs to become the new norm. That's just dumb.

Even the RTX 4080 for $1200 is stupid, I bought my RTX-3080 for $799 back in Nov. 2020, which is the next gen version 50% higher now?

The RTX-1080 launch price was $599
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_10_series

The RTX-2080 launch price was $699
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_20_series

The RTX-3080 launch price was $799
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_30_series

So past trends should put the RTX-4080 @ $899, certainly not $1200.
Fully agree, but history shows consumers (many right here) have no spine and will buy whatever is provided to them at virtually any price. Nvidia could put these out at 5k and you'd still see a thread here full of people buying them, lol.

I'm going to need something heavier than Cyberpunk 2077 to think about replacing my "winter of Covid, if there's ever a time to go big on a rig it's now" 3090 buy in December 2020. Wanted a 3080, 6800XT or 6900XT but I managed to get the 3090 into my cart and check out. Now if history repeats itself a new Elder Scrolls game will probably get me to upgrade. Morrowind and Oblivion both caused major upgrades, and Skyrim likely would have if I hadn't been in grad school at the time. Still, I played Skyrim on a GTX680 SLI socket 2011 setup with 3x2560x1440 screens in surround after I graduated and got a real job again. Ok, so I went a little berserk after years of deprivation.

Fully agree, but history shows consumers (many right here) have no spine and will buy whatever is provided to them at virtually any price. Nvidia could put these out at 5k and you'd still see a thread here full of people buying them, lol.

I think that is a bit harsh, for a few reasons.

One, is that many people use their computer a LOT. For me and may others, the computer is something we use for many hours every single day. It's the first thing we use after waking up in the morning, and the last thing we use before going to bed at night. It actually seems pretty easy to justify spending money on something that gets used so often. Compare that to someone who is constantly dumping thousands into their boat yet never actually takes it into the water, or someone who buys an RV but never travels or goes camping, etc. Life is full of these examples. Spending money on things that actually bring you joy is not a bad thing.

The 2nd reason is that, just based on the published specs, the 4090 is an absolute behemoth of a card. Even more so than the Titan cards from past generations. We won't know for sure until we see those 3rd party benchmarks, but it looks like with the 4090, performance is going to be very very good. They could have simply opted to not make the 4090 and make the 4080 16GB their top-end model instead, but if people don't mind a huge card and are willing to pay for it, why not?

3rd, it's been pretty clearly established at this point that the 4000 series was intentionally overpriced so that it didn't automatically make the 3000 series irrelevant. This unique situation related to excess 3000 series inventory can't simply be ignored when making generational price comparisons. Anyone looking for a good deal on a fast card should be looking at cards like the 3090. It's no worse of a card than it was before, and prices have come WAY down.

I think that is a bit harsh, for a few reasons.

One, is that many people use their computer a LOT. For me and may others, the computer is something we use for many hours every single day. It's the first thing we use after waking up in the morning, and the last thing we use before going to bed at night. It actually seems pretty easy to justify spending money on something that gets used so often. Compare that to someone who is constantly dumping thousands into their boat yet never actually takes it into the water, or someone who buys an RV but never travels or goes camping, etc. Life is full of these examples. Spending money on things that actually bring you joy is not a bad thing.

The 2nd reason is that, just based on the published specs, the 4090 is an absolute behemoth of a card. Even more so than the Titan cards from past generations. We won't know for sure until we see those 3rd party benchmarks, but it looks like with the 4090, performance is going to be very very good. They could have simply opted to not make the 4090 and make the 4080 16GB their top-end model instead, but if people don't mind a huge card and are willing to pay for it, why not?

3rd, it's been pretty clearly established at this point that the 4000 series was intentionally overpriced so that it didn't automatically make the 3000 series irrelevant. This unique situation related to excess 3000 series inventory can't simply be ignored when making generational price comparisons. Anyone looking for a good deal on a fast card should be looking at cards like the 3090. It's no worse of a card than it was before, and prices have come WAY down.

All true and I agree with you, but in regards to your first point, my point stands; you can justify anything if you really want it, but that doesn't necessarily make it a rational decision. If I go burn 1k calories on a 10 mile run, I could use that to justify eating an entire 1/2 gal carton of ice cream, but it would be much more rational to only eat a normal bowl of ice cream so I'm going into a huge calorie surplus for the day.

There are gradations and a (price) point of diminishing returns here for these luxury items and that's well before the 1k mark with what's available right now. Just as you say, there's people who use their computers every day and enjoy them for years without dropping $1k+ on a single component for them at the time of purchase, when they easily could have "justified" it. Hell I'm one of them and have to fight the urge to drop 1k+ on GPUs every time I see the deals, lol. But if they were looking to replace or upgrade them today, realistically they would be hard pressed to tell much difference, let alone get $600+ worth of enjoyment out of a 4090 vs the sub 1k deals on a 3090 or even $600 deals on a 3080 variant right now.

I should have pointed out that I'm really only speaking to personal use and enjoyment here. Of course if you're a business and have the budget and need for HEDT hardware, that's an entirely different scenario where this hardware is directly contributing to your profit and thus ideally paying for itself in less time spent working.

If you truly need a RTX-4090 for business or your profession, obviously the cost is part of the job.

But if it's just for gaming pleasure in the evenings and weekends, I think it's foolish to spend near $2k on a video card. It's sets a bad precedent saying it's ok for nVidia to raise prices to insane levels, and they'll just keep doing it, because sheep will follow and pay for it.

I say No! Don't fall for the trap. Wait till early next year when pricing will drop just to prove a point to nVidia.

That's my 2 cents.

The same conversation has been happening for years about "overpriced" computer components. It's tiring for all - you're not going to change anyone's mind. Do you think someone like me that has a build complete and just waiting to grab an RTX 4090 is going to read your pleading post and change my ways? No. Because apparently I am too dumb or too much of a sheep or a mindless consumer. Hahaha.

It's $2,000 - in the grand scheme of hobbies that is not that much money. If it's a lot of money to you - no problem! There are a ton of great options out there. Not everyone needs an RTX 4090.

Would be curious people who are actually buying an RTX-4090 at lunch, what card do they currently have?

Yes if you have a 1080 To or 2080 Ti yes a 4090 is understandable to a degree.

But there's no way anyone with a 3090 or 3090 Ti u
Is buying a 4090? That would be clinically insane.

But whatever, it's your money, and I guess people have zero concern in being the cause of skyrocketing GPU prices.

Would be curious people who are actually buying an RTX-4090 at lunch, what card do they currently have?

Yes if you have a 1080 To or 2080 Ti yes a 4090 is understandable to a degree.

But there's no way anyone with a 3090 or 3090 Ti u
Is buying a 4090? That would be clinically insane.

But whatever, it's your money, and I guess people have zero concern in being the cause of skyrocketing GPU prices.
Yup - have two RTX 3090 Ti right now. Getting an RTX 4090. I am the problem!

Gigabyte 4090 Windforce

I'm just going to wait for reviews and see if any one of the big brands is going to experience problems like overheating, coil whine, fan noise, etc. But I'm still leaning towards Suprim X. Never had any issues with Asus, EVGA, or MSI cards. Any reason you prefer Gigabyte?

Back