Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

Not if you are buying a halo card. People who buy those are looking for best performance period.
There's always a limit. If the card cost $3k, there'd still be people buying it (the lockdown showed that), but what about 5k? 10? At what point does the extra cost for 5-10% pretty much shut it down?

That being said - my point was the naming doesn't matter as much as the $/perf does - you could call it a 4010, and it it was fast for the $ you paid, people wouldn't care. Folks are irritated because the 4080 12G looks like it should be a 4070 - but if the $/perf for the full lineup works, then it really won't matter...

eg: 4080 16G is a good 4k card, mind blowing 1440P card. 4080 12G is a passable 4k card, but really good 1440P card. 4070 is a good 1440P card, but amazing 1080P card, and so on - and are all priced appropriately - then no one will mind. :) If they're not priced appropriately, or there isn't a differentiation in actual performance - people bitch.

If the 4090 has 30-40% more performance than the 4080 16G, which is 20% more than the 4080 12G, which is 20% more than whatever the 4070 is.... cool! If not... then why? I wouldn't have invested the extra in the 3090 at first except it's all I could get - the 3080 for my use cases was more than enough (1440P). No reason to spend the extra for the tiny bit more performance. Now we'll see on the 4090. :D

Exactly. I don't buy a Ferrari and get sad about the performance per dollar versus a Prius. I enjoy my sweet ride.
And that's fair - but many will buy the top-end that makes sense. Why get a Ferrari when the Porsche is 98% as fast for 2/3 the cost? Sometimes that matters more. Even if the ferrari is technically marginally faster, is it worth the extra $? For many - yes. For many - no. For me at least, it's the differentiation. I got no issue buying a halo card if there's a justification for it - hell, I run Threadripper AND a 10980XE for things - but there has to be a real segmentation, not 2-5%.

I might have to get the MSI Suprim Liquid or if I can't get that Ill have to buy a new SFF case like the O11 mini yikes. Microcenter is not carrying the FE it seems.

Does the NDA lift tomorrow or release day? I'm hoping for some good reviews on the Suprim X.

MSI is and will forever remain, exclusively, a *BAD* "choice". Never have I regretted anything more than MSI gpus. I honestly don't know how they remain in business when they keep releasing cards with major problems every generation and then gaslighting or even wholesale deleteing any threads posted on the forums from their customers who complain about such paltry issues as cards overheating to destruction, fresh out of the box stock, en masse, because they don't bother actually testing a design, and just slap the same cooler they've been using for 5 generations on cards with much higher tdp.

It's a shame about EVGA, but unless MSI starts making Zotac's prices look outrageous, I cannot fathom why anyone would ever consider them. Please for the love of all that's holy, choose *ANY* other vendor.

Just my unsolicited opinion, I'm glad you have had a good experience with MSI, but trust me, they're the absolute LAST company you ever want to have to deal with CS or RMA with.
Since EVGA decided to opt out of manufacturing video cards (thanks to Nvidia - their narrative) - that leaves a question mark, imho, with regards to other gpu makers. I am concerned with considering future video cards from makers such as Zotac and PNY - the AIB partners who don't manufacture too many other computer parts (none that I can think of, anyway).

Therefore, I plan on sticking to Asus and MSI (and perhaps, Gigabyte) cards.

I haven't read of too many complaints with those makes of cards. Perhaps, some accusations and complaints that the MSI Ventus series is a bit cheap?

The RMA process for Asus and MSI in my country - isn't too inconvenient. So, that's another reason.

I might have to get the MSI Suprim Liquid or if I can't get that Ill have to buy a new SFF case like the O11 mini yikes. Microcenter is not carrying the FE it seems.
Lian Li 011 Mini will support the RTX 4090 STRIX (top radiator, microATX mobo).

Lian Li 011 Mini will support the RTX 4090 STRIX (top radiator, microATX mobo).
Yea, the O11 Mini is not really an SFF case anymore. I also just don't think the strix is worth it this time around when the MSI Suprim Liquid is $200 less with an AIO cooler. I wanted the FE so I can just stick it in my current case.

Yea, the O11 Mini is not really an SFF case anymore. I also just don't think the strix is worth it this time around when the MSI Suprim Liquid is $200 less with an AIO cooler. I wanted the FE so I can just stick it in my current case.
You can say that again. I was surprised how "big" it was. Not really mini in any sense - but - it is smaller. lol. For a dude like me that cringes having to sacrifice to SFX PSUs and on things like length for GPUs...it is a step!

Does the NDA lift tomorrow or release day? I'm hoping for some good reviews on the Suprim X.
9 am on release day more then likely if history is to be followed. MC has put up all the 4090 and prices online. $1600-$2000.

Reactions: cvinh
like this
So a double price jump 100% more money to go from the 3080 to the 3090, but the actual performance difference was minimal, like 15% to 20%. I always scratched my head on that one, why was the 3090 literally double the price of the 3080, but only 15% or so better performer, seemed like a horrible deal.

But now it seems a lot different ( still no legit benchmarks yet ) but the RTX-4090 is $1600 and the RTX-4080 is $1200, so the pricing difference is only like 1/3rd more to upgrade from the 80 to the 90 this series.

Don't know what my point is, but the pricing difference to performance difference is probably a lot closer now
Very doubtfull
3090 has 10496 cuda cores 3080 has 8704
4090 has 18176 cuda cores 4080 has 9728 (16GB version)

With only roughly half the cores I don't see the difference beeing so close this time

Also beeing in Europe where prices are already 22% higher this time then in the US it makes even less sence.

The pricing difference between cards had me thinking;

Back on the 3090 and 3080 launch in September 2020, the RTX-3090 was $1500 and the RTX-3080 was $700;
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/n...ices-and-release-dates-detailed/1100-6481673/

So a double price jump 100% more money to go from the 3080 to the 3090, but the actual performance difference was minimal, like 15% to 20%. I always scratched my head on that one, why was the 3090 literally double the price of the 3080, but only 15% or so better performer, seemed like a horrible deal.

But now it seems a lot different ( still no legit benchmarks yet ) but the RTX-4090 is $1600 and the RTX-4080 is $1200, so the pricing difference is only like 1/3rd more to upgrade from the 80 to the 90 this series.

Don't know what my point is, but the pricing difference to performance difference is probably a lot closer now
The 3090/3080 relationship was like the Titan/x080ti relationship previously. Same chip, x080ti slightly more cut down, massive price difference, minimal performance difference.

This time around I think Nvidia is just leaving room to shift every non-4090 card down one price slot, and stick in a 4080ti in the $1200 slot that's much closer in performance to the 4090 in response to a 7900xt that's better than a 4080 16GB but significantly worse than a 4090 for $1000. I don't think people should be scared to buy a 4090, but I think buying any of the lower cards on a credit card that doesn't offer future price matching is a risky gamble, lol.

My top three are Strix, Master and Suprim. Basically just want one of those with beast air coolers that have the highest wattage bios.

Hopefully we'll know wattage of the cards before release?

Just got back from 3 months in the Amazon Jungle. I can't wait to get an EVGA 4090 KINGPIN. Have a lot of EVGA credits. Maybe I'll even use step up :)
I have some bad news, friend... no more EVGA GPUs.

(Unless that was a troll)

Just got back from 3 months in the Amazon Jungle. I can't wait to get an EVGA 4090 KINGPIN. Have a lot of EVGA credits. Maybe I'll even use step up :)

d31mb3c-1c7ebebe-f92e-40c6-bf33-cb299be5b182.jpg

The pricing difference between cards had me thinking;

Back on the 3090 and 3080 launch in September 2020, the RTX-3090 was $1500 and the RTX-3080 was $700;
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/n...ices-and-release-dates-detailed/1100-6481673/

It exists because they have a mountain of 30 series cards in the channel to sell. EVGA saw it and bailed from the business this gen. Once they work through that volume most likely there will be an AD102 chip for well under $1000, and the entire current 4080 series lineup will have to be rebranded. One way could be to simply launch an Ada Lovelace RTX 5000 series next year to face RDNA3, turn the 4080 12GB into the 5060Ti and the 4080 16GB into the 5070, kind of like unsold 600 Kepler series cards got rebranded as lower tier 700 series, or even how Intel is rebranding unsold Alder Lake into lower tier Raptor Lake CPUs.

Last edited:
I am really disheartened with Nvidia's behavior and with EVGA leaving the market I think I'm going to hold onto my 3080 FTW3 for quite some time. If Radeon 7k actually is much faster than my 3080 I may pivot back to team Red.

might order through best buy on launch the founder's edition just to get in and see reviews. If not impressed I might return it or unless radeon is might impressive.

Looks like the 4090 is a monster. No way I would pay asking price for a 4080, but a ~2x bump in 4k works for me.
Might try for a 4090FE from Best Buy. I'll just sell my Alienware 17 afterward to recoup some of the costs. I don't use it anyway.

I am leaning toward the FE due to case size. I bought a TR3 system for I/O and it's really bothering me how large these cards are getting vis-a-vis interfering with I/O expansion. Otherwise, like a lot of people here I imagine, I am a loyal, happy multi-generation EVGA GPU owner who is now feeling a bit listless about who to pick. I've had a terrific run with Asus motherboards, admittedly, so I'd probably go down that road if FE didn't make sense.

As to cost... it's high, it's higher than I'd like, and I dislike it... but I can afford it and this hobby is rather low cost compared to some of my other ones like cars.

I am leaning toward the FE due to case size. I bought a TR3 system for I/O and it's really bothering me how large these cards are getting vis-a-vis interfering with I/O expansion. Otherwise, like a lot of people here I imagine, I am a loyal, happy multi-generation EVGA GPU owner who is now feeling a bit listless about who to pick. I've had a terrific run with Asus motherboards, admittedly, so I'd probably go down that road if FE didn't make sense.

As to cost... it's high, it's higher than I'd like, and I dislike it... but I can afford it and this hobby is rather low cost compared to some of my other ones like cars.

The thing is everyone and their mother wants the FE because the new quad slot GPUs are as tall or taller than most flagship CPU coolers too. Most mid-towers won't fit these GPUs. Most people will have to upgrade their case and rebuild their entire system just to accommodate an AIB 4090. I question FE availability...it's probably the only 4090 model that will consistently sell out.

The thing is everyone and their mother wants the FE because the new quad slot GPUs are as tall or taller than most flagship CPU coolers too. Most mid-towers won't fit these GPUs. Most people will have to upgrade their case and rebuild their entire system just to accommodate an AIB 4090. I question FE availability...it's probably the only 4090 model that will consistently sell out.
If they addressed the coil whine this time then I would likely get the FE. The FE 3080 ti and FE 3090 had the loudest coil whine by far compared to the AIB cards. Guru3d is where I would check for reviews if that is a concern since many reviewers don't even bother mentioning it.

Does Colorful sell video cards in the US?
I'm in Sweden and they never release their cards here. I'm pretty sure they don't sell in the whole EU, but I want that Neptune card.

Does Colorful sell video cards in the US?
I'm in Sweden and they never release their cards here. I'm pretty sure they don't sell in the whole EU, but I want that Neptune card.
Nope... I think they're Asia and Middle East only?

Now I am regretting cancelling my Palit. Wtf. I even got the refund. Thinking about re ordering. Guys will be like wtf lol.

I'm wondering why it does almost double the performance at 4K but barely 25% more perf at 1080p. (compared to 3080)

Back