Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

Awesome! I just picked that one up as well from MSI but I had to get the bundle (mobo and cpu cooler). This isn't all bad and I'll just setup a new system and pass my existing onto my son. I was surprised that when I placed my order they didn't charge sales tax... I'm not complaining... !

Now to start getting the rest of the components!

I’m holding off on this one. 4090 Ti and Titan are coming within the next 6 months I think.

I’m holding off on this one. 4090 Ti and Titan are coming within the next 6 months I think.
That sounds wishful. The 4090 literally came out two months ago, and there isn't that much room on ad102 for a huge jump in performance for the 4090 Ti anyway. You can get trapped just waiting endlessly...

The kit is available on MSI for the 4090. Nothing like adding a $500 mobo and a $300 AIO cooler on top to milk your customers.

Concerning buying a "nice to have" for over 2000 bucks i see this as a two sided deal:

There are people with enough money to simply are able to buy the best without remorse (at the time).
There are people with enough money who know the pcb is not fully populated and can only enjoy spending that much money if it is a maxed out "ti" .

The kit is available on MSI for the 4090. Nothing like adding a $500 mobo and a $300 AIO cooler on top to milk your customers.

Lol - I finally broke down and bought the kit. It's the only card I've seen come in stock online for the last couple of weeks and I'm tired of constantly checking...! The motherboard is a good board from what I've seen. Not sure I'm thrilled with the $280 cooler, but as I mentioned above they didn't charge tax so that is a bit of a savings. I want (was going to type need, but that would be a stretch) a new system so what the heck. Is there a lot of cost justifying going on in my head - absolutely! That being said - I can't wait to get the card and build a new system. I guess my son gets a new (hand-down) system for Christmas!

(edit: corrected cooler price)

Last edited:
The only possibility of this happening I can see is a $3000 Titan, possibly with 48GB of memory. There's absolutely zero reason to release anything else any time soon.

Lol - I finally broke down and bought the kit. It's the only card I've seen come in stock online for the last couple of weeks and I'm tired of constantly checking...! The motherboard is a good board from what I've seen. Not sure I'm thrilled with the $280 cooler, but as I mentioned above they didn't charge tax so that is a bit of a savings. I want (was going to type need, but that would be a stretch) a new system so what the heck. Is there a lot of cost justifying going on in my head - absolutely! That being said - I can't wait to get the card and build a new system. I guess my son gets a new (hand-down) system for Christmas!

(edit: corrected cooler price)
Tempted myself to do the same. I am running 5900X and was actually debating on just building a new PC since I had to get a new case and PSU. Wasn't sure if I should go with the 13900K or 7950X. This might make my decision (although that isn't my first choice for a motherboard or AIO)....love the artic freezer ii AIO.

Tempted myself to do the same. I am running 5900X and was actually debating on just building a new PC since I had to get a new case and PSU. Wasn't sure if I should go with the 13900K or 7950X. This might make my decision (although that isn't my first choice for a motherboard or AIO)....love the artic freezer ii AIO.

I wanted to get this bought this year for tax reasons, but I am still on the fence about the mobo and if I can resell the AIO that would be great. I did grab a 13900K on Newegg for $589. I'm not in a huge rush so I am going to try and enjoy the process (and not go mad with all the "what about this?!"). Good luck.

love the artic freezer ii AIO.
I bought the 420mm version and it was missing parts so if someone gets one with the LGA 1700 kit beware as it seems to a little issue with QC. I sent in a ticket about a week ago and zero response from Arctic. First time using one of their coolers so it's disappointing and frustrating at the same time.

I bought the 420mm version and it was missing parts so if someone gets one with the LGA 1700 kit beware as it seems to a little issue with QC. I sent in a ticket about a week ago and zero response from Arctic. First time using one of their coolers so it's disappointing and frustrating at the same time.
That is a bummer. I am running the 280mm version on my 5900X and it came with the correct brackets.

The point is - he bought a 4090 to play games. If the only game he plays is ____ - mission accomplished. lol. I've been doing overkill for many years. Heck, that's what [H] is all about!!! No one prescribes what card is best for me.
Exactly. When it's their money and they support your (or my) expensive habits then they can tell us what to do. As you stated....We're all [H]ard for the 4090. I said I wouldn't buy it but I paid over price for it and I love it. Enjoy your card.

I am really happy with my 4090 at 3440 x 1440p. I love the screen size and the resolution is the sweet spot where I expect most games to play at really great frames.

Finally gave in and retired my EVGA G3 750w and bought an EVGA G6 1000W PSU after 6 good years of use. That trusty 750w powered my 4090 for 2 months, with only two 8 pin cables with the dual ends on them (“daisy chain”) connected to the four adapters. With my 1000w I used the (interchangeable between evga) single connection power cables so now I have all four plugged in.

Now to find out how to get power % over 106…

Last edited:
No offense, but this was proven to be an end user error so I'm not sure why people are still saying this. It's funny how once they stated it was user error the posts and issues went away.
None taken. Some of the most recent incidents were from fullly plugged cables. Igor also showed shoddy connector soldering, whereas crimping was always the norm.

Anyway, where there's possible user error on a premium product that can lead to a fire, that's a manufacturing defect. Even the PCI-SIG has spoken.

None taken. Some of the most recent incidents were from fullly plugged cables. Igor also showed shoddy connector soldering, whereas crimping was always the norm.

Anyway, where there's possible user error on a premium product that can lead to a fire, that's a manufacturing defect. Even the PCI-SIG has spoken.
Igor also never witnessed a cable fail, he just theorized what the problem was with no testing to back it up.

Ya but there are so few cases that it's not of any concern. Most electronics have some issues with a small number of RMAs, this is no different as far as we know from the numbers.

This I will agree with, but I really believe it came down to people building computers with little to no experience IMO. People sometimes get excited to put that shiny new card in and forget to check the connections thoroughly, which I can imagine some of us have been guilty of that at one time or another. PCI-SIG tried to put the blame on anyone but themselves from what I've read which doesn't look good on them.

You do know the same issues apply to the PCIe 6+2 cables? I have seen lots of them melt when they were introduced, but back then the "kick and scream" generation didn't exist yet. That is the only difference.

When people have had some experience with the 12VHPW cables/connectors, this will not happen or barely.

I bought the Zotac Amp Extreme but haven't built my new system yet. Any coil whine with yours or Zotac models in general?

I know a lot of factors go into coil whine. I'm curious to see if the ATX 3.0 PSUs alleviate this to any extent?
No issues or complaints so far. I've been running f@h for nearly 2 weeks straight.

Phanteks P600s
Cablemod 4x1 adapter
Seasonic prime 850 platinum
60% power limit
30% fan speed
Never hits above 60c at the hot spot
Can't hear the card over the minor hum of the case fans

From what I have read / heard the only card to avoid is Palit. Pretty much every other card is a good choice and within margin of error performance in most cases.

The only "issues" I had are with the 12vhpwr connector, it was a bit finicky when getting it seated properly (included cat's tail and cablemod). All 4090s are insanely large / heavy, so it was a bit tricky to get it situated into the PCIe slot.

Last edited:
My local Micro Center has the 4090 Zotac and the H2O cooled MSI in stock today. Shame i don't feel like driving there in a level 2 snow emergency with -35 wind chill... lol. Didn't really want either of those anyway, although the urge is real to snag any 4090... have my eye on the MSI Suprim X or the ASUS Strix.

My local Micro Center has the 4090 Zotac and the H2O cooled MSI in stock today. Shame i don't feel like driving there in a level 2 snow emergency with -35 wind chill... lol. Didn't really want either of those anyway, although the urge is real to snag any 4090... have my eye on the MSI Suprim X or the ASUS Strix.
MN? I was checking out the same. I’ll never be a Zotac man.

MN? I was checking out the same. I’ll never be a Zotac man.
Naw, OH... guess MC all around must have gotten a few of those. If I was on anything less than a 3090 I might have become impatient, but might as well wait for exactly what I want.

I think it is well worth to wait for the MSI Suprim X to become available. I had a Zotac in order but managed to get it cancelled as they were preparing shipping as the Suprim X came in stock. More expensive but totally felt worth it.

I think it is well worth to wait for the MSI Suprim X to become available. I had a Zotac in order but managed to get it cancelled as they were preparing shipping as the Suprim X came in stock. More expensive but totally felt worth it.
Yeah, hoping I can get lucky and snag one someday soon... lol. Even though the power limit is only 530W, most benchmarks seem to show the MSI card as one of the best performing, and runs cool as well being sized so large with a lower power limit. The H2O one was tempting today, but I don't want another RAD in my case and it limits my future uses for it.

Back