Which RTX 2070 should I pick up?

LaAaZ

Limp Gawd
I am thinking about purchasing the ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 Overclocked 8G GDDR6 Dual-Fan Edition. I thinks it is selling for a good price at $554 on Amazon. I think that it would perform as well as the ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070 Overclocked which runs $594. Or I could go the more economical route and get the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Windforce for $499. I would probably be happy with any of the cards. I like the idea of an overclocked card with more premium parts, but $600+ by the time you throw in taxes hurts. Last week I ordered a used ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070 Overclocked from Amazon for $454, but I had to send it back. It would crash on every game or benchmark that I tried to run and the artifacts were horrible. I won't buy a used card again and will pay a bit extra for the extended warranty that Amazon offers.

I would appreciate your thoughts. Especially if you have any of the cards mentions. Thanks

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
All I know is that 5 minutes OC'ing a card is easier than paying $100 more for the premium model.

Windforce is a fine cooler

I am thinking about purchasing the ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 Overclocked 8G GDDR6 Dual-Fan Edition. I thinks it is selling for a good price at $554 on Amazon. I think that it would perform as well as the ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070 Overclocked which runs $594. Or I could go the more economical route and get the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Windforce for $499. I would probably be happy with any of the cards. I like the idea of an overclocked card with more premium parts, but $600+ by the time you throw in taxes hurts. Last week I ordered a used ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070 Overclocked from Amazon for $454, but I had to send it back. It would crash on every game or benchmark that I tried to run and the artifacts were horrible. I won't buy a used card again and will pay a bit extra for the extended warranty that Amazon offers.

I would appreciate your thoughts. Especially if you have any of the cards mentions. Thanks

I don't buy anything but EVGA anymore. They're RMA and warranty service is far superior to any of the brands that you mentioned. To me, it's worth the slight extra cost.

All I know is that 5 minutes OC'ing a card is easier than paying $100 more for the premium model.

Windforce is a fine cooler

That's a good point. It is strange when you spend $500 for a video card and you feel like you are buying the cheap one. Until this point the most that I have even spent on a computer part was the CPU and I think that it was $350. If a company overclocks, I feel like they have picked the best items for overclocking. When I do it, I am fearful that damaging the parts. Maybe I should live on the edge and push my cpu and video card some more.

I don't buy anything but EVGA anymore. They're RMA and warranty service is far superior to any of the brands that you mentioned. To me, it's worth the slight extra cost.

Which EVGA RTX 2070 would you suggest and why?

I have the regular EVGA 2070 XC Gaming, it's great, plenty cool and quiet for my taste.

You're not just paying for a higher clock. Most of the time that extra money gets you a beefier circuit board and components. It's worth it if you can fit it in your budget.

You're not just paying for a higher clock. Most of the time that extra money gets you a beefier circuit board and components. It's worth it if you can fit it in your budget.

And the service.

EVGA has the best Warranty and RMA service out their bar none.

How is ZOTAC for returns?

Right now Amazon has the ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2070 AMP Extremefor $499.

That is a great price for a triple fan overclocked RTX 2070, but I don't know anything about the brand. So many people have had trouble with the RTX's, I am thinking about spending an extra $57 and getting the 3 year extented insurance with Amazon.

I would appreciate your thoughts

I ordered the card. Here are the specs:
  • New Turing Architecture, Real-time raytracing, DLSS with deep learning AI
  • 8GB 256-bit GDDR6; Boost Clock 1815 MHz, ZOTAC GAMING's Fastest 2070 Factory Overclocked Graphics Card
  • Ice Storm 2.0, our strongest cooling, full board die-cast metal PCB jacket for structural strengthening, Active Fan Control
  • 4K Ready, 4 display ready, Spectra LED Lighting
  • 3 x DisplayPort 1.4, 1 x HDMI 2.0b, 1 x USB Type-C
In 2 days i will pull the GTX-960 out of the case (hopefully for the last time).

My current Fire Strike Extreme score:

Fire Extrewme 20190415.jpg

Are you happy with the gaming performance? What resolution are you playing on and what settings are you able to achieve in games?
Just got the card today. The New benchmark for Fire Strike Extreme is:

Fire Extrewme 20190418.jpg

I think it will be great for gaming. right now I am running my games at 1080. I hope to upgrade the monitor soon and move to 1440. I should be able to crank everything up to the ultra settings now. So far the card seems fast and quiet. I'll post again after I've had a chance to try a few games.

Reactions: Auer
like this

View attachment 155782

I think it will be great for gaming. right now I am running my games at 1080. I hope to upgrade the monitor soon and move to 1440. I should be able to crank everything up to the ultra settings now. So far the card seems fast and quiet. I'll post again after I've had a chance to try a few games.
Have you really never heard of DSR? You dont have to get a new monitor to game at 1440p. And having just 4 cores will not only limit you at 1080p, it will also be a playable limitation in some newer games.

Of the games I play, I think DSR is supported in Titanfall, Shadow Warrior and Dying Light. 2,560 x 1,440 is not supported on my monitor

Of the games I play, I think DSR is supported in Titanfall, Shadow Warrior and Dying Light. 2,560 x 1,440 is not supported on my monitor
So you dont know what DSR is then. The monitor has nothing to do with it as its set in the Nvidia control panel. About the only games that dont work are using the Unity engine which requires the desktop resolution to match resolution you are trying to run.

At this point, I would just wait for the AMD RX 3080 cards. They will give you RTX 2070 performance for around $250.
Or wait for the Navi 20 card, which is supposed to give RTX 2080 +20% performance for $430.
Those releases are just around the corner, so no need to pay the nVidia name tax.

At this point, I would just wait for the AMD RX 3080 cards. They will give you RTX 2070 performance for around $250.
Or wait for the Navi 20 card, which is supposed to give RTX 2080 +20% performance for $430.
Those releases are just around the corner, so no need to pay the nVidia name tax.
This is entirely based on rumour rather than any sort of fact, though. Sure, it may be worth hanging on for a while to see what Navi 10 has to offer in the next couple of months, but Navi 20 is at least a year away, so hardly "just around the corner". And I think the predictions of RTX 2070 or RTX 2080 performance at half the price are optimistic at best, downright bollocks at worst.

For what it's worth, I hope Navi 10 and 20 are half as good as they're being hyped to be, but I've been burned a few times in the past by rumours of AMD's next cards being the ones that will deliver amazing performance at a fraction of the cost of the competition.

To Late - I ordered the card on the 15th and posted benchmarks yesterday. I hope Navi knocks it out of the park. We'll see. Competition is always good. I upgraded from a GTX 960, If I kept waiting, it would have been another year.

like this
To Late - I ordered the card on the 15th and posted benchmarks yesterday. I hope Navi knocks it out of the park. We'll see. Competition is always good. I upgraded from a GTX 960, If I kept waiting, it would have been another year.
For what it's worth I think you made the right call. You can always wait for the next big thing, but at some point you just have to bite the bullet and buy the best product that's available at the time. The 2070 is a great card, and will be an amazing upgrade from a 960.

like this
Funny thread. My friend bought an evga 2070 xc ultra, and got a 960 in the 2070 box from Amazon. Wasn't you was it OP? ;)

View attachment 155782

On par with my score, great little cards.

9685.png

That will be great!

In the meanwhile, I can game on with this great RTX2070. For the whole summer.

What is the temp of your card? Mine performs nicely, but I think it is running hot - about 85F all day.

What's your room temp? In a 70F room I pretty much never go over 80C while gaming because of the fan curve I set in Afterburner.

However mine is a little loud when the fans are cranking and I wouldn't mind a more efficient aftermarket solution down the road.

I have a PNY RTX2070 OC maxing out at 2010MHz.

Temp here today was 85. So inside and outside the CPU was the same. That was also the temp of the card last night when is was 60.

That will be great!

Exactly :D And that's also what I'm doing, as I bought an EVGA 2070 XC Gaming earlier this week. It's a really, really nice card.

So every minute when my desktop background changes pics, Look how the video card changes settings. Is this normal? With any serious gaming, after 15 minutes the fans are running (notably)at 60% and the temp of the card levels out at 47c. It takes the card about 4 minutes to drop to 37c afterwards. another few minutes it will be back to 30c or 31c (which seems to be the average temp). One of the fans is making a intermittent vibrating sound about every 30 seconds now.

Attachments

• Firestorm RTX 2070.mp4
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That seems a bit odd. I've just checked my own system using GPU-Z and when I switch desktop backgrounds it has an absolutely minimal impact on my GPU clock (it idles at 300MHz and goes up to 315MHz when the background changes). Memory clock idles at just over 100MHz and doesn't shift when the background changes. My GPU is also a 2070 but it's an EVGA XC Gaming variant.

In terms of gaming, 47°C under load seems pretty low, so if the fan noise is bothering you then you could try lowering the fan curve a bit: you'll get higher temperatures but it should be quieter. Is the vibrating noise from the fan happening even when the card is idling, and at what temperature? Might be worth checking that it's not being fouled by any cables (including the internal cable connecting it to the GPU).

That will be great!

Yes, that extra 2 months of play time only cost an additional $250. Spend it if you got it! ;)

This is the card i got https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-RTX-207...evga+rtx+2070&qid=1555963795&s=gateway&sr=8-1
I couldnt be happier with it!

Hey plus there is a amzaon warehouse deal for $488.47 Get it!!!!

Plus I miss Kyle..... Sad face...

Last edited:
like this
Back