Which rpm Gentle Typhoon for my case?

wixter

Weaksauce
So I picked up a new HAF 932 case for my Ivy Bridge build and I'm trying to determine which rpm 120mm fans to use.

Scythe's Gentle Typhoons come in 500, 800, 1150, 1450, 1850.
I will be installing those sound dampeners for fans that are made of rubber or silicone or whatever it is. My goal here is to keep the case as quiet as possible but also not to overheat the cpu/gpu. I don't expect to do much overclocking, and I'm thinking I may try for the 7970 gpu.

For the exhaust at the top, I'll mount 2 120mm fans. This will be the only exhaust for the case since air will taken in from the front, back, side and bottom. I was thinking the 500 rpm ones would be fine for exhaust.

The bottom will only have 1 intake right next to the power supply, I was also thinking 500 rpm here too since it will be close to the ground and airflow may be a bit constrained.

As for the side, I can install 4 fans. I was thinking either the 800 or 1150 rpm ones for this, since there will be 4 of them the amount of airflow should still be considerable moving across the components inside.

Any thoughts on this configuration?

I would go 1850 and a fan controller. You can have the fans drop to 1200RPM or let them run at 1850RPM when needed (if needed). I just did similar research to what you're asking. Here are some other threads for you to look at that might help you out:

Me installing 6-7 1850 RPM GT AP-15's: Link
Guy asking about 120mm fans in general (nice graph in there for ya to look at, on page 2): Link
How I came to figure out what case fans and fan controller to get (0 regrets): Link

I hope those help. I owe it to these boards to try and give back some advice :)

I'm a bit confused as to why you aren't using the preinstalled fan that came with the HAF for the top exhaust? Is it way too loud or something? The GT's seem pretty pricey to use for simple exhaust fans.

I would go 1850 and a fan controller. You can have the fans drop to 1200RPM or let them run at 1850RPM when needed (if needed). I just did similar research to what you're asking. Here are some other threads for you to look at that might help you out:

Me installing 6-7 1850 RPM GT AP-15's: Link
Guy asking about 120mm fans in general (nice graph in there for ya to look at, on page 2): Link
How I came to figure out what case fans and fan controller to get (0 regrets): Link

I hope those help. I owe it to these boards to try and give back some advice :)

Wow that is great info on your experience with these fans, thanks. With the FC Touch, what's the lowest rpm you can get the fans down to? Also does the lighting or screen on the controller darken when not in use or the machine is suspended?

I'm a bit confused as to why you aren't using the preinstalled fan that came with the HAF for the top exhaust? Is it way too loud or something? The GT's seem pretty pricey to use for simple exhaust fans.

This

That is still a possibility and I can still use the 230mm fan and instead use those 2 GTs on the closed-loop cpu cooler.

That is still a possibility and I can still use the 230mm fan and instead use those 2 GTs on the closed-loop cpu cooler.

Ohhh you're going to have something like the corsair H100 cooling the cpu? Well if thats the case, then GT's are likely your best option to put on a radiator. I run my GT's directly off my ole ABIT mobo and use their software to control them based on temps. They work pretty well undervolted.

Ohhh you're going to have something like the corsair H100 cooling the cpu? Well if thats the case, then GT's are likely your best option to put on a radiator. I run my GT's directly off my ole ABIT mobo and use their software to control them based on temps. They work pretty well undervolted.

Yeah I didn't put in the cpu cooler info because I was mainly focused on case cooling, but I plan on using the H80 in my setup.

the 1850 and slow them down CFM approx 57cfm at 28db(apprently)
Another choice would be bitfenix spectres or even Xigmatech, the spectres are apprently quite quite and get close to the same air as 1500 GT, wheras Xiggy which I have a few http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...And&SpeTabStoreType=1&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20 are actually pretty quite and apprently deal ok with being turned down if need be. There is of course Enermax as well and thier Apolish line http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_2&lv0=4&lv1=16&no=127 or even Antec some of them.

Anyways, I agree on the fan controller, get the highest cfm ones you can and just turn them down. For intake I would not have them running 500rpm, they maybe silent at that point, but airflow you simply will not have if you want proper cooling. I would get something that has higher static pressure and just turn them down, at least with the rpm they have left and them being constrained you wouldn`t lose the vast majority of air they would throw.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103069 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103060something like this with a fan controller for any constrained fan would work very well, FYI some of the antec ones have thier own turn knob type controller so you can adjust how you see fit and not have to buy any extras.

If you are looking for as quiet as possible and still really nice airflow, Noctua, pricey, fugly, but good all around and very quiet with decent airflow and pressure. I would still go with higher pressure thicker fan and turn down. I personally use the 69cfm coolermaster fans on my cooler and Xigmatek 120mm CLF black purple led the xiggy ones push more air and are slightly quiter(even when used on a heatsink for my gpu) though the noise is tolerable and very steady, at least I know its cooling properly :)

Also scythe GT are "decent" at best for coolers like H series, then the stock ones for sure, but they do not have the greatest static pressure so they will not be getting the best airflow/noise for this use, they were more designed for intake/exhuast then against mesh/rad type cooling :)

Last edited:
With the FC Touch, what's the lowest rpm you can get the fans down to? Also does the lighting or screen on the controller darken when not in use or the machine is suspended?

I can have them running steadily at 630-660 RPM's (4V-5V), behind a dust grill, with no hick-ups. This is rated as 35% of the voltage (12V max). I have no desire to go that low, since they are hard to hear even at the 1850 RPM's. If you want to go that low, I tested it and the RPM's surprisingly never changed from the 630-660 RPM range.

The FC Touch has three brightness levels (I like the middle one). You can turn the screens from looking at one fan's diagnostics, all six fans with a power button and a brightness button, and lastly, off, which is a black screen with just a little illuminate power button (seen also on the six fan option screen). When the comp is off, or hibernating, the fan controller is off, but the changing in brightness is manual. It's either off or on, like the comp itself, ya know?

I hear what everyone else is saying about expensive case fans and expensive controllers, but I wanted to get some components that will last and I can really enjoy, which others on here helped me find. You wouldn't regret the FC Touch and the GT AP-15's (1850RPM), unless you're on a tighter budget. These two components really are amazing together. :D

EDIT:
About those sound dampeners you mentioned bro, I thought about them, too, forgot to order them, then after I installed the 6 GT AP-15's I could hear that I didn't need them. There is no movement or jostling with these fans (they correct their own issues, via technology, if they have any), so you may just want to wait on sound dampeners to see what you think yourself. Just another two cents for ya. Again, I have no regrets not ordering any, but initially I was like, shoot, I forgot to add those to the cart, heh. ;)

Last edited:
dragonstongue said:
Also scythe GT are "decent" at best for coolers like H series, then the stock ones for sure, but they do not have the greatest static pressure so they will not be getting the best airflow/noise for this use, they were more designed for intake/exhuast then against mesh/rad type cooling :)
Huh??

In pressure and noise, GTs are the best there are in 120 mm fans. And they are not best for general case fans.

Did someone just say Gentle Typhoons are hard to hear at 1850rpm? Before the OP shells out some cash, I feel obligated to note that these fans make noise, and at 1800+ RPM they make a good deal of noise. They don't pass below the threshold of (my hearing anyways) until about 900-1000rpm, so whatever you do, don't expect the GT AP-15 to be quiet at 12v, because its not. The claim to fame of Gentle Typhoons is their noise vs airflow when attached to heatsinks and radiators. This doesn't mean they are magically silent...they still produce noise, and anything spinning at 1800rpm is going to make noise.
For case fan duty, I'd stick with either the AP-13 or 14. If you have a fan controller that goes down to 5v, then the AP-15 would work, but there are resonance issues with these fans at various RPM, so its best to pick a fan that most closely matches your desired noise level at 12v.

Personally, I wouldn't use Gentle Typhoons for generic case fan duty, as there are options that are just as good for less money. Its a different story on a heatsink or a radiator, but in a low restriction setup (case fan), I'd rather use a low speed Yate Loon.

Did someone just say Gentle Typhoons are hard to hear at 1850rpm?

What a nice guy, not calling me out directly ;) I'll concede to the common consensus that you CAN hear the GT AP-15's at 1850RPM's, but with my rig specifically, I have it tucked back, underneath my desk, so maybe that's why I have trouble picking up the sound? Anyway, everyone has different setups and experiences, but in my personal experience, I have a lot of trouble hearing these fans and I'm not deaf :rolleyes:

Take my personal experience with a grain of salt, I guess is the point people are trying to make, since most people CAN hear the 1850RPM GT AP-15's.

I will personally disagree on that above statment. Scythe GT are optimized for lower noise, decent air pressure with a decent CFM, look up some of the ones I posted. I will show some raw stats. So yes, they are good pressure/noise, but because of low cfm they are BEST USED as a case fan even with obstructions.(I will let you digest this info)
Scythe GT
1850 RPM 58CFM at 28db approx or D1225C12B5AP-15 1,850 rpm 28 dBA airflow 98 m³/h power 0.083 and approx 2.057mm H2O(approx though this apprently drops super fast when reducing RPM)
now lets compare some
XIGMATEK Cooling System Crystal Series CLF-F1255 120mm Purple LED Case Fan
1500 RPM 68.33 CFM <20 dBA(quoted) 1.516 mmH²O
Cooler Master R4-BMBS-20PK-R0
600 - 2000 RPM 21.2 - 76.8 CFM 13 &#8211; 32 dBA 0.40 &#8211; 3.90 mm H2O
Coolermaster SickleFlow 120 Blue LED Fan (R4-L2R-20AC-GP) (I use 2 of these on my hyper 212+)
2000 R.P.M.69 CFM 3.04 mmH2O 19 dB-A
Scythe Slipstream
SY1225SL12M 1,200 rpm 24.00 dBA 68.54CFM
Bitfenix Spectre non led 120mm version
RPM 1000±10% (CFM) 43.5±10% Noise (dB-A)<20 Pressure (mmH2O)0.62

Thats just a few, the GT share more in common with the slipstream then any other fan I can see. More airflow/pressure =more noise as does the bearings being used, less pressure=general case fan. I did not state the GT cannot be used for heatsinks, you can use them however you want, its not what they are designed for, they optimized thier profile and increased the number of blades to get decent cfm at a "decent" noise but its far from the best in this regard. HOWEVER if used on a heatsink that is very little resistance(Nocuta heatsinks as an example) they would do this quite well, and would be near silent as all you would hear is the airflow, exactly what Noctua designed thiers like for this reason.

The CLF fan I listed is among the best I have used at this point, no they are not whisper quiet, but what I can say is they are much quieter then the slipstream medium speed even in open air(which by specs alone is pretty spot on to the GT 1850) the coolermaster R4 69CFM is as well and they provide ALOT more pressure for thier noise level mostly due to different bearings AND properly profiled fan blades. The specific Xigmatech fan I have is not listed anywhere. I bought 8 of them at the time as they are quieter then the sickleflow even behind a tight mesh and move more air. I believe they were 72 cfm or something like that.

Is the scythe GT bad??Hell no, they are very good, but they are not intended for (majority of) heatsinks/rads and such use, they simply either do not have the airflow A or B static pressure behind them once the rpm is cut down to reduce the noise. Simple math really very high pressure but next to no CFM=not greatest for rads and such, yes it will cool them, but you want the heat to wick out ASAP. Medium pressure AND CFM=good for rads and such, mostly due to being able to wick the heat away.

Very thin blades at a sharp angle to cut down on noise, vs thicker blades with less agressive of an angle can make a huge difference in noise as well as pressure slipstream vs ultra kaze is a perfect example of this. Slipstream at close to the same DB simply do not have pressure behind them so they are better for general case fan use(and get quite loud when constrained) vs the ultra kaze louder, but they do not get any louder as they have more then enough pressure to do thier job mostly becuase of the thicker blades.

Nuts and bolts, the GT are very nice fans based on raw specs alone, but there are others that get similar if not better results, afterall the GT came out a few years back(that I remember) and ALOT of different fans have come out since. Scythe generally do not use the best bearings number 1, but thier fans are very nicely made :)

Last edited:
I will personally disagree on that above statment. Scythe GT are optimized for lower noise, decent air pressure with a decent CFM, look up some of the ones I posted. I will show some raw stats. So yes, they are good pressure/noise, but because of low cfm they are BEST USED as a case fan even with obstructions.(I will let you digest this info)
Scythe GT
1850 RPM 58CFM at 28db approx or D1225C12B5AP-15 1,850 rpm 28 dBA airflow 98 m³/h power 0.083 and approx 2.057mm H2O(approx though this apprently drops super fast when reducing RPM)
now lets compare some
XIGMATEK Cooling System Crystal Series CLF-F1255 120mm Purple LED Case Fan
1500 RPM 68.33 CFM <20 dBA(quoted) 1.516 mmH²O
Cooler Master R4-BMBS-20PK-R0
600 - 2000 RPM 21.2 - 76.8 CFM 13 &#8211; 32 dBA 0.40 &#8211; 3.90 mm H2O
Coolermaster SickleFlow 120 Blue LED Fan (R4-L2R-20AC-GP) (I use 2 of these on my hyper 212+)
2000 R.P.M.69 CFM 3.04 mmH2O 19 dB-A
Scythe Slipstream
SY1225SL12M 1,200 rpm 24.00 dBA 68.54CFM
Bitfenix Spectre non led 120mm version
RPM 1000±10% (CFM) 43.5±10% Noise (dB-A)<20 Pressure (mmH2O)0.62

The only fan specs you can trust in that list are the GT specs, as they are Nidec fans intended for industrial usage...all the rest of those CFM/H2O specs are at best fanciful and at worst pipe dreams on the part of the label's advertising department.

You *will never* get 20db of noise moving 60CFM. You will never get 70CFM and 19db. It just does not happen in real life.

There's a reason why of all those fans you posted GTs are the only one almost always out of stock. It is the same reason the WCing community loves em so much.

I will not disagree on that concept, I can only use my ears as proof(seeing as I do not have industrial testing equipment) As I mentioned, the slipstream M based on raw numbers as closest to the GT in most of the specs.

The Sickelflow fan, as well as the xiggy CLF fan I listed have less noise in the same environment(my previous case and my current one) They simply offer more pressure even in open air(which usually throws the numbers around) and are noticeably quieter as intake/exhaust or heatsink based(which because of now being constricted thier noise is usually amplified)

I`m not going to argue based on supposed "quality" of industrial maker Nidec, what I can say is it would be far from the first time numbers are twisted in any way shape or form by ANY company. More blades=more friction which alone can account for some of that noise, as can the beraings being used. If super slick bearings are used vs very friction giving bearings it WILL give more noise, in this case high quality ball bearings, which CAN very greatly sample to sample, vs other bearing types, though to my knowledge ball also has a long service life.

Fancifull, yes, way out of the ballpark, nope. The GT based on what you said would not have those specs then either, quite a few having those same rough specs/shape to the blades give approx the same noise/cfm/pressure as the mentioned GT, the GT are the best of these style, but are not the best. Again, if I had actual test equipment I could verify such things, but alas I cannot.

So, trust numbers from company A or trust numbers from company B, is one more credible then the other, why just cause they are an industrial maker? I do not see servers and such use these fans.

Anyways, I can only use my ears as a tester :p the GT seem similar to my slipstreams, more blads that are closer with a tighter spin, but beyond that similar. I know with the SS the simply lost most of thier power and got quite a bit louder once behind something. The mentioned ones, you are right 19DB at 69CFM, nope not unless they have alien technology, but they are reasonable quiet(alot quiter then the SS ones) and the Xiggy are even sligtly less quieter with a bit more raw cfm but also less pressure.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038516640
They talk about a few fans here, You want silent, Noctua, you want something that undervolts well or can change rpm well, theres alot, the GT are damn good fans, I have not hard otherwise, however, there is more fish in the sea if you llook hard enough. CFM is very important, the GT/Noctua are not designed for raw CFM they are optimized for noise-CFM, that cannot be argued. Noctua very quiet but not alot of airflow, these GT alot more airflow but also on specs alone noisier(Noctua is also VERY reserved on thier actual levels in CFM/DBA and such, and alot of folks will say the same)

Anyways OP, best of luck.

I will not disagree on that concept, I can only use my ears as proof(seeing as I do not have industrial testing equipment) As I mentioned, the slipstream M based on raw numbers as closest to the GT in most of the specs.

The Sickelflow fan, as well as the xiggy CLF fan I listed have less noise in the same environment(my previous case and my current one) They simply offer more pressure even in open air(which usually throws the numbers around) and are noticeably quieter as intake/exhaust or heatsink based(which because of now being constricted thier noise is usually amplified)

I`m not going to argue based on supposed "quality" of industrial maker Nidec, what I can say is it would be far from the first time numbers are twisted in any way shape or form by ANY company. More blades=more friction which alone can account for some of that noise, as can the beraings being used. If super slick bearings are used vs very friction giving bearings it WILL give more noise, in this case high quality ball bearings, which CAN very greatly sample to sample, vs other bearing types, though to my knowledge ball also has a long service life.

Fancifull, yes, way out of the ballpark, nope. The GT based on what you said would not have those specs then either, quite a few having those same rough specs/shape to the blades give approx the same noise/cfm/pressure as the mentioned GT, the GT are the best of these style, but are not the best. Again, if I had actual test equipment I could verify such things, but alas I cannot.

So, trust numbers from company A or trust numbers from company B, is one more credible then the other, why just cause they are an industrial maker? I do not see servers and such use these fans.

Anyways, I can only use my ears as a tester :p the GT seem similar to my slipstreams, more blads that are closer with a tighter spin, but beyond that similar. I know with the SS the simply lost most of thier power and got quite a bit louder once behind something. The mentioned ones, you are right 19DB at 69CFM, nope not unless they have alien technology, but they are reasonable quiet(alot quiter then the SS ones) and the Xiggy are even sligtly less quieter with a bit more raw cfm but also less pressure.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038516640
They talk about a few fans here, You want silent, Noctua, you want something that undervolts well or can change rpm well, theres alot, the GT are damn good fans, I have not hard otherwise, however, there is more fish in the sea if you llook hard enough. CFM is very important, the GT/Noctua are not designed for raw CFM they are optimized for noise-CFM, that cannot be argued. Noctua very quiet but not alot of airflow, these GT alot more airflow but also on specs alone noisier(Noctua is also VERY reserved on thier actual levels in CFM/DBA and such, and alot of folks will say the same)

Anyways OP, best of luck.

Nidec OEMs fans for workload servers. Their numbers simply have to be accurate or servers melt.

Martin @ Martin's Liquid Labs as well as Skinnee and others have tested em.

Ok but Nidec may make fans for servers, that doesnt mean these are server grade, it simply states Nidec is a industrial maker. Just like Seasonic produces power supplies for MANY companies which are rebranded/changed/optimized etc. Scythe do make thier own fans, does it mean they are 100% assembled by Nidec, that might be hard to prove. There is alot that make high end super cfm or riduclous low noise and many of which as industrial supplier(made in strict quality control conditions in massive amounts)

Anyways, if above would be true, then I suppose a not to be mentioned company did not have millions of mainboards/graphics fail cause they to are an industrial/consumer supplier. :p

quote from Scythe main page----Nidec Servo Corp. are about. Is servo not mean motor? thats got nothing to do with any other part of the fan, anyways, im done hogging this thread. I may not know everything, and you sir may know alot, but also, 53 day old account vs 3.4 years might mean something to some folks?

Ok but Nidec may make fans for servers, that doesnt mean these are server grade, it simply states Nidec is a industrial maker. Just like Seasonic produces power supplies for MANY companies which are rebranded/changed/optimized etc. Scythe do make thier own fans, does it mean they are 100% assembled by Nidec, that might be hard to prove. There is alot that make high end super cfm or riduclous low noise and many of which as industrial supplier(made in strict quality control conditions in massive amounts)

Anyways, if above would be true, then I suppose a not to be mentioned company did not have millions of mainboards/graphics fail cause they to are an industrial/consumer supplier. :p

quote from Scythe main page----Nidec Servo Corp. are about. Is servo not mean motor? thats got nothing to do with any other part of the fan, anyways, im done hogging this thread. I may not know everything, and you sir may know alot, but also, 53 day old account vs 3.4 years might mean something to some folks?

See:

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2009/05/05/r2-fan-testing/

For actual numbers, not made up manufacturer numbers I believe Skinnee did a fan roundup too but I can't find it ATM. So I'm a new member, I'm referring to people who actually measure these things...at least I'm not quoting marketing materials. ;)

:facepalm: (I have been here longer therefore know more....)

anyhow....
GT-15s are highly sought out for use on radiators.
Can't be beat for Airflow through rads vs noise.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2009/05/05/r2-fan-testing/

As to which model... it depends on how loud you want it.

Did not say I know more, I just find it funny new accounts all the time, cool to see various input, however, it also reminds me of a kindergarten kid telling thier parents "thats not how you supposed to do that" With time/age comes some semblence of wisdom, thats all I was inferencing.

Airflow/noise is one thing, tight rad or loose rad is another. I know when sucking through a tight dust mesh vs a loose honeycomb mesh is a HUGE difference in perceptible noise and ACTUAL airflow.

;) I do not remember linking that one, oh well lol.

Did not say I know more, I just find it funny new accounts all the time, cool to see various input, however, it also reminds me of a kindergarten kid telling thier parents "thats not how you supposed to do that" With time/age comes some semblence of wisdom, thats all I was inferencing.
Not trying to get into this discussion, but the logic jump in this statement just caught me a little off guard. To assume that registered time, or better put - a lack of registered time - on one particular forum has some direct and overwhelming correspondence to their experience or their argument's validity...seems a little peculiar to say the least.

Edit: if you're reaching those types of conclusions, you might as well make inferences about the type/level of contributions being made when someone has practically the same post count in 53 days as another in 3.4 years.

Last edited:
I have 1 more fan that might fit the build. Noctua NF-F12 Focused Flow, its rating and performance are very nice, might be worth taking a look at, Tweak Town has a review on it if you are looking for it. $ yes, but it may save you the trouble of getting a fan speed controller(possibly)

I know with the focused flow AP fans from silverstone they do control the airflow quite nicely, these look bar none a much more refined design and probably would work exceptionally well for a Rad or case cooling?

Back