Which RPG?

Which RPG should I start?

• Total voters

Kelvarr

Supreme [H]ardness
So RPG has always been my favorite style of game. I used to play them a lot, and then had kids, and that sucked my RPG time away. I didn't stop accumulating them though. I think the last one I completed was the original KOTOR. Here is my list, and I'm wondering where I should start:
  • KOTOR 2
  • Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate
  • Dragon Age 2
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • Elder Scrolls: Oblivion GOTY
  • Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
  • Mass Effect 1
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Mass Effect 3
  • The Witcher 1
  • The Witcher 2
  • The Witcher 3 GOTY
  • Fallout 3 + all DLC
  • Kingdoms of Amalur
  • Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum

Of the choices I picked Mass Effect because it is RPG light to break you back into the Genre. Next I would go Elder Scrolls.

I went with Dragon Age Origins, Witcher 3, and Kingdoms of Amalur.
DA:O has held up well and is still a great place to start if you want to play through that series. #2 is a letdown, but #3 is wonderful. If you have the time (and if #2 is heavily discounted), I say go for it.
The Witcher 3 is massive and good enough to stand on its own. Plus, #1 hasn't held up very well at all. Just read some backstory and hop right into the latest and greatest.
Kingdoms of Amalur is very underrated, IMO. I thought the game was fantastic and it's HUGE. It's in the same conversation as Skyrim, Dragon Age 3, and Witcher 3. It's probably actually bigger than Skyrim, but it lacks the zillions of side missions that never seem to run out. Gameplay is somewhere between an action game like God of War and a slower-paced RPG like Dragon Age. I wish that game didn't sink the company because I'd love to see a sequel or spinoff.

The list is of games that I already own and have available to play.

I misread - in that case, definitely go for it. Start with the original and plow through all 3. The games even import your decisions forward. They rarely affect much beyond simple plot flourishes and background, but it's a nice touch.
Mass Effect handles that in a similar way, although many/most people hate the way the 3rd game made your previous choices irrelevant. That's another good series. I find the first one to be unbelievably tedious, but the storyline is fantastic. #2 is the all-star from that series. #3's a fantastic game that was saddled with a conclusion people didn't like.

I would start KOTOR 2 and then DA:O, then ME, then your Elder's, and finish with Witchers. Going back and playing KOTOR 2 is tough once you get a taste for the new playstyles.

If the chance comes up, pick up Pillars of Eternity.

That game is fantastic, think old school Baldur's gate/Icewind dale party rpg.

So good.

If the chance comes up, pick up Pillars of Eternity.

That game is fantastic, think old school Baldur's gate/Icewind dale party rpg.

So good.
I'll put that on the list along with FF XV.

KOTOR 2
Oblivion
Neverwinter Nights 2
Witcher 1
Fallout 3
Dragon Age 1
Witcher 2
Dragon Age 2
Skyrim
Kingdoms of Amalur
Dragon Age 3
Witcher 3

Do Witcher 3 last, cause every other game will suck donkey balls afterward, and you'll just want to play Witcher 3 again.

I'm gonna go out on a limp and suggest you start with Fallout 3.

I found Fallout 3 to be surprisingly short. I think I beat it in less than a week playing casually. Hell I can think of a few FPS that took me longer to beat. If you take away cheap, lazy gameplay extensions like backtracking there's not a lot to that game. I even used the same weapon for the vast majority of it. Some sniper rifle I found early on. I asked around if maybe I just missed all the secret guns or something but no everyone agreed there's only a few guns.

I would check out the guides of mods that improve Fallout 3. I found the vanilla game to very ugly and unwieldy. I settled on 5 or 6 mods that cleaned it up nicely texture wise.

Honestly I just dont think its a very good game. I didn't find it particularly interesting like Morrowind or VTM:Bloodlines. There didn't feel like much variety like GTA. I pretty much walked away from it with a giant MEH feeling when I beat it last year.

On a side note if you've never played "Vampire The Masquerade:Bloodlines" I highly recommend it. It's one of the best RPGs ever made. We have a thread dedicated to it if you search the gaming section.

Back