Limp Gawd
Linksys WRT54GL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

$60 shipped

or

Asus WL-520gU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320023

$53 shipped...usb port(could be useful)

I can't remember the exact model but I know it was linksys wrt54g maybe the same one linked, the problem we had was every month or so randomly it would stop working, it seemed fine and we could connect to it but no internet through it.

My plan is whichever I get to put DD-WRT on it. We had it on my friends router. We had very fast comcast internet and no more than 6 people on it at once.

So which router is more stable / faster / better? since price is very close.

Thanks

I'd recommend getting a more modern router, those are getting very dated. Look at something like a DIR-625 or DIR-628, if you can't afford those DIR-615. They're much faster but you won't be able to put DD-WRT on them. Doesn't really matter though as they're SO much better.

I'd recommend getting a more modern router, those are getting very dated. Look at something like a DIR-625 or DIR-628, if you can't afford those DIR-615. They're much faster but you won't be able to put DD-WRT on them. Doesn't really matter though as they're SO much better.

thanks for the advice but from what I could find about those..I can't tell how they are better in any way really. I wouldn't be using the 5ghz setting since most computers would have G. From reviews there were many more problems and people even said the wrt54 linksys worked better...

Can you tell me how those are better? do a lot of people on this forum use them too?

They just use ancient hardware and really cant keep up with the concurrent connections and speeds that newer routers can.

The router of choice on this forum seems to be the D-Link DIR-655, which is what I deploy at most peoples houses. The DIR-628 is more in your price range, (although you can usually find the DIR-655 for ~$80 if you shop around) and is fairly comparable, it just lacks gigabit switching.

Router comparison charts right here to compare some different models
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/

Note the drop down menu to select different benchmarks, with todays faster connections, I'd be wanting to get a router that has at least a 100 megs throughput. Once you have several computers sharing that at the same time, it helps.

If you're wanting to use DD-WRT, there are plenty of current generation Linksys models that support DD, like the WRT-150N, 160N, 300N, etc.

I understand now...

hard to decide between the 625 and 655 because the 625 is $60 shipped with a free laptop network card I can probably sell for 15-20 bucks and the 655 performs quite a bit better and is $87 shipped

I understand now...

hard to decide between the 625 and 655 because the 625 is $60 shipped with a free laptop network card I can probably sell for 15-20 bucks and the 655 performs quite a bit better and is $87 shipped

I'd get the 655 you won't be sorry. Best router I've used and I've used a lot.

*consumer router that is.

They just use ancient hardware and really cant keep up with the concurrent connections and speeds that newer routers can.

I'm backing the suggestion to get a more modern router, but up until last month when I built my Untangle box, my WRT54G v3.1 w/ Tomato had no problem with my 20/5 FiOS connection and heavy bittorrenting. So that isn't really true.

I'm backing the suggestion to get a more modern router, but up until last month when I built my Untangle box, my WRT54G v3.1 w/ Tomato had no problem with my 20/5 FiOS connection and heavy bittorrenting. So that isn't really true.

But when you see what newer routers can really do....you won't look back. You'd be amazed at the extra loads you can put on it, and if you do a nice box with top notch QoS/Traffic shaping...online gaming at the same time...for a couple of you..and some extra people web surfing too!

Back