Which radiator is better, the Swiftech MCR220 or the Black Ice GT Stealth 240?

kberguy

n00b
I am in the process of creating an order for my first water cooling system. It will be housed in a Silverstone Temjin TJ09 case, with the radiator mounted in top (where factory created 2 x 120 mm fan holders).

The problem I face is that the total depth of the radiator and fan cannot exceed 66 mm. This effectively means I need to use a radiator that is no more than 40 mm thick. I am able to get either of the two radiators listed above, but don't know which one will do a better job of cooling. Note that this will be used to cool a Intel E8500 processor and chipset on motherboard.

Which radiator would you recommend?

The MCR220-QP is quite a bit less flow restrictive than the GT 240, so it's often a better choice. Much depends on what pump and what blocks you plan on running, but it's hard to go wrong with the MCR220.

If you're going for quiet (lower speed lower flow quieter fans) the QP line is better than the Black Ice rads. They're designed to be effective with less airflow.

Black Ice Pro is thinner than both of those (25mm) and performs in between the Swiftech (best) and GTS (worst) under most normal conditions.

I want to thank those that responded to my original post. The general consensus seems to be that the Swiftech radiator is the way to go. The Black Ice Pro radiator is not available from my distributor, and the Swiftech has the best price AND best performance, so I will order it tomorrow.:)

Enjoy. Besides the MUCH lower temps and noise, the best part of me going WC was being able to gloriously destroy my TRUE 120.

It's death was magnificent, far better than it deserved after such a worthless existence in my case.

I can't think of anyone that I hate enough to inflict that cooler upon.

On the other hand, destroying it was entertaining and did the world a service. It ended up in a recycle bin so the copper and aluminium even went to a good cause finally.

Just to make a value comparision, I ended up getting 10 minutes of absolute concentrated fun out of destroying the $50 TRUE. For that same $50, I got about 5 minutes of questionable and very diluted fun out of Crysis. Both had similar levels of headaches.

...I have no idea why you had such a big problem with the TRUE... it's one of the most highly recommended coolers right now, and with good reason. Thing was either defective or you mounted it wrong or /something/.

Back