Which quad core CPU seems to get to 4GHz consistently on air?

FM 3370

Gawd
I've noticed a lot of people are getting to 4GHz quite consistently on certain dual core CPUs but I was wondering what about the quad cores?

Well, there's the i7, since "Intel quad core" applies to this line.

Well, there's the i7, since "Intel quad core" applies to this line.

My understanding was that the i7 gets a bit too hot and really doesn't OC that high. Maybe 3.8, but not 4.0, right?

Also, the 9550 doesn't get 4.0 consistently. There have been quite a few who have, but also quite a few who haven't. A 100% reliable 9550 OC is more like 3.7. For 4.0, I'd definitely go with the 9650.

There's many 4GHz i7 920's out there including mine. That's with HT enabled. 4.2GHz easily with HT off. All on air.

I'm not looking for a space heater so the Q9650 might be the best bet. Looking at the NewEgg reviews people seem to get this at 4.0 and love it.

My understanding was that the i7 gets a bit too hot and really doesn't OC that high. Maybe 3.8, but not 4.0, right?

Also, the 9550 doesn't get 4.0 consistently. There have been quite a few who have, but also quite a few who haven't. A 100% reliable 9550 OC is more like 3.7. For 4.0, I'd definitely go with the 9650.

Wile there is no guarantee with any chip, the 9550 hits 4.0 pretty well with E0's, mine does 4.25GHz still well under 1.4v, and a 3.7GHz OC is nothing...At all (see sig).

You know the i7 does get a little hot BUT, Ill tell ya if you can take advantage of 8 threads with whatever you are doing then...its definitely worth it because the i7's are way more energy effecient then the c2quads.

Also, the 9550 doesn't get 4.0 consistently. There have been quite a few who have, but also quite a few who haven't. A 100% reliable 9550 OC is more like 3.7.
That was true for the C1 chips (although the typical overclock is 3.8GHz). With the E0 revision, most chips are capable of hitting 4GHz or higher.

My i7 and my dad's both hit 4GHz fairly easily.
But my i7 doesn't heat my room much more than my Q9550 @ 4GHz.

My i7 and my dad's both hit 4GHz fairly easily.
But my i7 doesn't heat my room much more than my Q9550 @ 4GHz.

Same here. My i7 does 4Ghz fairly easily, though I only run 3.6Ghz since that doesn't require any extra vcore to get there. Just crank the bclock to 180, set it and forget it. Now THAT is what I call overclocking. It's so easy, even a caveman can do it (hoping caveman_jim sees this :p ).

There's many 4GHz i7 920's out there including mine. That's with HT enabled. 4.2GHz easily with HT off. All on air.
Mine too! Although, I would not say "easily"...

An i7 @ 3.8 will be faster than a Q-series quadcore at 4.0, so I wouldn't focus so much on the magical GHz number. And 3.8 is achievable on probably 99% of i7 920s.

I have a Q9650 and it runs perfectly on 4Ghz on air with a Zalman 9700NT cooler.

That's awesome, mine is at 4GHz too on Mugen 2. That was the easiest 4GHz, BTW.

What are your load temps like? Mine is: (all temps after 1h)

Prime95 Blend: 53 average
Prime95 Small FFT: 58 average
IBT max stress: 70 average

Back