Which PSU should I get?

It liiks like my current PSU is nearing the end of its life and am looking to buy either the Thermaltake W0106RU 700W or the Corsair 620HX with both units within $10 of each other (after MIRs). (I would buy the Thermaltake from Newegg and the Corsair from ZZF) Is there any reason I should go for one over the other? I would like to hear from people who have each. BTW I have an Antec 900 and my 4 pin connector is at the top left corner of my motherboard so I need one that can reach that far (~1.5 feet). Is either one particularly loud? How is the efficiency of each unit (at 50% and full load)? I really don't need quite that much power as I have a Q6700 overclocked to 3.2, 8800 GTS 320 and 3 HDDs but would like to have room to upgrade later.

I would get the Corsair HX620. This is mainly because most people on here recommend it and have owned a Corsair PS. I also put togther a system for a friend with that PS in the Antec 900 case and it looks nice. The red sticker on the PS blended with the red Sata cables of the HDD.

HX620 is a bit overkill for what you're running. In the interests of saving money, the VX450 would fit the bill nicely.

HX620 is a bit overkill for what you're running. In the interests of saving money, the VX450 would fit the bill nicely.

Note, upgradability. A VX450 is a great supply, but a bit limited. I would say a Corsair HX520 myself, but an HX620 is good too.

Note, upgradability. A VX450 is a great supply, but a bit limited. I would say a Corsair HX520 myself, but an HX620 is good too.

Unless you're going SLI, the VX450 should be just fine.

VX = 33A on the 12V, HX520 = 36 combined (approximate) on 12V. Don't know the HX620's spec offhand.

Anyway, details aside, any of the 3 units should suit you well, OP.

Yeah if you don't mind the huge mass of cables. Otherwise the HX620 is a good deal for the performance and cable management.

+1 for HX620

I'd go Corsair, but either way good PSUs. Both have 5 year warranties, 120mm+ fans, modular, low key black enclosures. Also, given the badass service/support given by their rep here (RedBeard + others for that matter but RB in particular), is another notch for Corsair.

Yeah, he's going a bit overkill, but there's something to be said for planning ahead in case of more power needs (esp if he plans on actually keeping & using it for the 5 year term), as well as not running a PSU at/near it's extreme capacity.. Corsair's may be 80+ efficient and all, but like most PSUs the best rating comes somewhere in the middle, not at the ends of the bell.

Yep my PSU is now even closer to death as it wouldn't boot into windows (or linux) unless I undid my previous stable overclock and set everything to the default setting. So I bought the 620HX.

With power supplies slight overkill = good thing. Corsair all the way. few months to 5 years from now its nice to not have to repurchase another PSU if you wanna upgrade.

[21CW]killerofall;1032141339 said:
I have a Q6700 overclocked to 3.2, 8800 GTS 320 and 3 HDDs but would like to have room to upgrade later.
Q6700 OC at least 3.5ghz wiht vcore DF , i think so

Back