Which preorder bonus for Red Dead Redemption are you going to choose?

FluxCap

Limp Gawd
I rarely preorder games, let alone make a post about preorders, but RDR is the exception. There are several preorder bonuses that are making my decision difficult:

Gamestop: Deadly Assassin Outfit (Double the Dead Eye Regen)
Amazon: Gold Guns Pack AND $20 gift card. (Extra fame per kill - fame unlocks side missions so more fame means you get new missions faster)
Best Buy: War Horse (fastest and toughest horse in the game...looks good too)

I feel like these 3 are the top preorder offers and the several others offers are not even worth mentioning. So, between these 3, which sounds best? As for Gamestop's, you can acquire the outfit via other means in game but it may take a while. On the golden guns and war horse, if those are truly unique I would be tempted to try one of those. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I'd probably go with the horse, but I have gift cards for Gamestop/EB so I will end up getting the Assassin Outfit I guess.

Nice thread OP!

I have been wondering which I am going to get as well... tough choice. I do agree with your view that if there is a "UNIQUE" perk to pre-ordering than I will go that route. However, most of the so called perks have just been unlocked via a patch lately, so I am really not sure.

The trapper costume, the "gentleman" costume, and the assassin costume all look realy nice.

Obviously Amazon's since you also get $10 credit towards another game.

I'm not pre-ordering because I am still hoping RockStar will soon announce a PC version.

Amazon: "Access code will be e-mailed within ten business days after the game releases."
Lame...

Obviously Amazon's since you also get $10 credit towards another game.

$10..not so much, $20...maybe.

A unique item is worth more than $10 to me. Waiting 10 days or so for the code is also a big negative. At this point, I say the leader for me is the Best Buy horse. I don't like giving my money to Gamestop either.

Amazon, $10 and some DLC item. You'll get it within 10 days is just a disclaimer in case the developer isn't ready to release the DLC item. This can be the case for any retailer like Ebgames or bestbuy.

Amazon, ordered it 2 weeks ago. I don't care much about in-game items, so the $10 does it for me.

Still, if I did care about the item, I'd probably still go Amazon because I likez gunz.

FYI, Amazon has been known to up the $$$ Coupon amount as the release date gets closer.

I'd go Amazon just because GameStop sucks and so does Best Buy.

Amazon has given me the best pricing, and best customer service of all 3.

RDR looks pretty wicked in any case.

Does this game have a stage coach or railroad fast travel ?

I heard the gameworld is supposed to be larger than San Andreas.

I think a faster horse is ultimately the most useful bonus.

took another look at this game.. considering getting it.. not sure which promo gift to get though... ugh

im looking forward to roping people and... yes.. the hunting ;)

I have decided...haha! Im getting the War Horse and I am absolutely drooling over the open-world MP!

Amazon, the credit is not just for games but any video game accessory you buy will be used by the credit. I got my PS3 remote for 5$.

I have decided on the horse as well. I can get the outfit later and I can earn fame in other ways. I want the fastest and toughest horse for my singleplayer game. I say singleplayer because it sounds like you can't use the horse in MP, you will have to earn them via exp/levels. Starting out riding a donkey is going to suck for people. :)

Gold guns of course, so everyone can see me get my shine on in game. I'll be like what you like my guns? POW POW, AH F*CK the deputies are here time to RUN!!

its a shame we dont get limited ed. It wouldn't matter where you preordered, you could just go to your fav place cause you would get all 3 of the extras with the limited..

I got it at Amazon. Free release day delivery with Amazon Prime, and $10 towards my next game purchase. I get most of my games from them nowadays.

Ya know. Up until this week, I was gonna pass over this game until a later date. I wanted Alan wake but..... things have changed. Watching the vids and reading about it, Im really excited now for this. Alan Wake can wait. My last western was Gun for old xbox. Its time for another. From the looks of it, theres not really a co-op story mode?. Granted, the MP does look great.
As for what ed. im getting. I want the horse but I have $25 for amazon so it will probably come from there. Heres hoping that within this short time, we are given the limited ed.

Alan Wake is the kind of game I beat in 8-10 hours and never play again.

I'm sure I will get hundreds of hours out of RDR.

So, finally went to Amazon today to make my preorder....the bonus is no longer showing up (IE golden guns). Is the promotion over?

Update: After digging a bit more, it looks like the promotion ended yesterday. I was waiting on some gift cards and they got here today....one day late....

Last edited:
WTF? I was going to pre order it at amazon but have been putting it off.

Why on earth would they stop an in-game promotion? I mean, you can't "run out" of them so why the hell stop it u ntil you know, the game is out?

Well I guess they lost a sale for that, guess I'll be getting the best buy version after all.

Amazon details here, deal died yesterday for Amazon.

*Details
Order Red Dead Redemption by April 26, 2010 in our Video Games Store and receive a $10 Amazon.com Gift Card. An email will be sent out within 10 business days from when the promotion ends and will include the Amazon.com Gift Card and redemption instructions. This offer applies only to the purchase of Red Dead Redemption offered by Amazon.com and does not apply to products sold on our site by third-party merchants or through third-party areas such as Amazon.com Marketplace or Auctions. Limit one per household.

*Amazon, Amazon.com, and the Amazon.com logo are registered trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Amazon.com Gift Cards ("GCs") may be used only for purchases of eligible goods on Amazon.com. GCs cannot be redeemed for purchases of gift certificates or cards; from some third party sellers; or at Amazon.com Auctions. GCs cannot be reloaded, resold, transferred for value, redeemed for cash or applied to any account. Amazon.com is not responsible if a GC is lost, stolen, destroyed or used without permission. See www.amazon.com/gc-legal for complete terms, restrictions and exceptions. GCs are issued and © 2009 by ACI Gift Cards, Inc., a Washington corporation.

How to Qualify for the $10 Amazon.com Gift Card:

-This offer applies to qualifying purchases made before 11:59 p.m. PT on 4/26/2010 on Red Dead Redemption
-Offer does not apply to out-of-stock items.
-The redemption instructions for your $10 Amazon.com gift card will be sent via email within 10 business days from when the promotion ends, provided you have not canceled your order or returned the item(s).
-Offer must be redeemed at our Web site, http://www.amazon.com, toward the purchase of products sold by Amazon.com. If Amazon.com is not the seller, this will be noted on the product's detail page.
-Offer may not be used in conjunction with the purchase of products sold by or under the brands of third parties, including, but not limited to, Target.com, eToys, or any other merchants, or sold through third-party areas such as Amazon Marketplace or Auctions. Offer cannot be redeemed at Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.jp, or any other Web site operated by Amazon.com, its affiliates, or third-party merchants (including Web sites linked to from the http://www.amazon.com site).
-Offer is not for resale and is not redeemable for cash.
-If the offer has a minimum purchase requirement, taxes, gift-wrap, and shipping and handling charges do not apply toward the minimum purchase amount.
-Offer cannot be applied to orders placed on, or after, 4/27/10.
-Limit one per household.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
looks like golden guns are there but the $10 card is still expired? Well, I'll probably order elsewhere now..

Since the guns are showing again I might as well still go with Amazon.

FYI, Gamestop is also giving the soundtrack as a bonus.

If these preorder bonuses have a value of anything like ME2's then I don't really care. ME2's preorder bonuses licked my balls. They were worthless literally 2 minutes into the game.

I can only see these bonuses being useful at the beginning of the game

So then I wonder, will the Best Buy pre-order be "upgraded" to the special edition as well? I see no option online. The soundtrack would be great. I think I might switch my pre-order.

If these preorder bonuses have a value of anything like ME2's then I don't really care. ME2's preorder bonuses licked my balls. They were worthless literally 2 minutes into the game.

I can only see these bonuses being useful at the beginning of the game

Actually, these preorders are some of the better ones I have seen in a while.

Golden Guns: Getting extra fame right from the start will unlock more side missions, bribery options, etc.

Dead Eye Outfit: Having dead eye recharge twice as fast is going to be a nice perk. And to get the same outfit without the preorder you have to complete a ton of objectives in game.

War Horse: Fastest and toughest horse that will be available in the game....at level 1. As opposed to starting with a donkey/mule/jackass, I think that speaks for itself.

I went with the golden guns for a few reasons:

1. Recently got some Amazon gift cards.
2. I always try to avoid giving any money to Gamestop and even Best Buy when possible.
3. Golden guns look pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Umm, I think you are confused.

These pre order bonuses you don't "get at lv 1/from the start."

You have to get them through quests, etc.

Also they are not in MP, only SP. In MP you will start with a donkey like everyone else.

ordered through amazon, got the 10$ credit. Dont really know if any preorder bonuses are included. They ninja them in sometimes.

Umm, I think you are confused.

These pre order bonuses you don't "get at lv 1/from the start."

You have to get them through quests, etc.

Also they are not in MP, only SP. In MP you will start with a donkey like everyone else.

Maybe, but I know for a fact that the code to have golden guns is given to you at the time of purchase. So, you are telling me I can plug in the code but not unlock the guns I just entered a code for until I quest for it later in the game? That seems somewhat unlikely. I will try and found out.

Walmart is now offering a $20 gift card. Someone also called Amazon and they said they are not going to change the gift card offer. Recently, they have tried to compete with walmart by matching gift card value. I may change my preorder from amazon and go wally world.

Back