Which powersupply would you choose?

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I'm considering making the jump to skylake when availability picks up. I have 3 power-supplies that I could use for my new build, and I'm not sure which way to go.

1. Antec Truepower Quattro 1000w - This is the powersupply that I've been using in my system for at least 5 years now. I got it back when I was using a Q9650 @ 4.4Ghz and 2x 4870x2 in Quad Crossfire which both used tons of power. The PSU has been fairly under-utilized since 2012 since my two 680's use considerably less power than my two 4870x2's did. It uses a single 80mm fan which doesn't bother me since I have a noisy system anyway and it gets the job done. This PSU has worked great for me so far, my only concern at this point is it's age combined with almost 24/7 usage since I began using it. This PSU is based on a design by Enhance.

2. Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w - I got this for a good deal (new) in 2012 for a secondary system. I had just upgraded to 2x GTX680 in my main system and wanted to re-use my 2x 4870x2 in my secondary system. This was for that system to make sure it had enough power for those cards. The system didn't see much usage (off most of the time) since it was just a secondary system. About 6 months later I ended up selling the CPU and motherboard in that system and the PSU has sat unused ever since. This PSU is old also, but has a very low number of hours actually used. This PSU is based on a design by CWT, the PUC platform, same as the Corsair HX1000W and others.

3. Seasonic X-Series X-650 (newer F3 model) - This is a PSU that I put into a system that I built for someone. The only requirements really was that it was a reliable model and as quiet as possible. The unit was powering an easy load (not overclocked, only using integrated GPU, only SSDs as drives, etc) in a practically dust-free environment where the AC is set to the low-60's. It died after less than a year... Simply stopped working one day. I swapped it out with a spare PSU that I had, and ended up RMAing this unit back to Seasonic. Now I have an essentially new unit back from Seasonic. I've heard only good things about this unit, which is why I selected it for that build in the first place. It's also 80Plus Gold whereas the other two are 80Plus Bronze IIRC. The fact that it died so quickly in an almost ideal operating environment however makes me a bit uneasy. Also, i'm not totally sure, but at 650w I think that I would probably be pushing this PSU near it's limits, if it's even enough at all.

Buying a different PSU won't be an option, at least in the short term, as a Skylake upgrade is going to be pushing the budget already, especially having to get DDR4 also.

Last edited:
cant go wrong with P2 1000w from EVGA, 10 years warranty is hard to find.

cant go wrong with P2 1000w from EVGA, 10 years warranty is hard to find.

Thanks, but this thread is about choosing between the 3 PSUs that I already have.

Buying a different PSU won't be an option, at least in the short term, as a Skylake upgrade is going to be pushing the budget already, especially having to get DDR4 also.

What is your planned system?

Hopefully upgrading to a Z170 board (that can do at least 2-way SLI), DDR4, and 6700K (or 6600K if i'm forced to). I will be overclocking it as much as possible. Videocards, etc will be staying the same for now (specs in sig).

I would think you only have 2 choices between the two top wattage supplies.
Really depends on the GPU/s

Ive always liked Antec. Second to Corsair.

If you are planning on running a single card then the Seasonic PSU will be enough and would be the top choice.
If you will run SLI/XFIRE then I would pick Toughpower just because it is semi modular.

If you are planning on running a single card then the Seasonic PSU will be enough and would be the top choice.
If you will run SLI/XFIRE then I would pick Toughpower just because it is semi modular.

This.

If you plan to keep everything at stock, then the 650 will be capable of handling it. Each 680 is under 200 watts, and Skylake is under 100 watts, with about 50 watts for the rest of the system. 650 watt PSU with a 550 watt load, that's more than enough safe room.

Overclocking, the best choice out of the two is probably the Toughpower.

If you plan to keep everything at stock, then the 650 will be capable of handling it. Each 680 is under 200 watts, and Skylake is under 100 watts, with about 50 watts for the rest of the system. 650 watt PSU with a 550 watt load, that's more than enough safe room.

I really dont know about pushing that 650 to 90% 24/7.
I bought the 1050X earlier this year and it just rolled over and died about 2 months in.
It was running at 50% load max.

I really dont know about pushing that 650 to 90% 24/7.
I bought the 1050X earlier this year and it just rolled over and died about 2 months in.
It was running at 50% load max.

Failure on quality PSUs typically don't have much to do with the load you place on them as long as they're not being overloaded. If your PSU failed, either you had a bad component from the start, or it was getting dirty power from the wall.

Yeah I am sort of leaning toward the Toughpower especially since it has so few hours of usage. I just thought I remember reading where some people had issues with CWT PUC powersupplies, where it would die and even take out some of the equipment that was attached. Also, seems like you rarely see people still using a CWT PUC based powersupply, whereas i've seen a number of people still using an Antec Truepower Quattro. Coincidence perhaps.

Ive always liked Antec. Second to Corsair.

I've had mostly good experiences with both, with a few exceptions. ~5-6 years ago when I had a need for a big PSU, I actually bought a Corsair TX950W first. It was a budget offering that looked to give me the wattage I was looking for and from a company that I considered reliable. The PSU wouldn't even power on my system at the time (ASUS P5Q-Pro & Q9650). I tried my system with several other PSUs and it worked, and I tried the TX950W with another system and it worked also. I did an RMA on the TX950W and the replacement unit had the same problem. It appears it was simply a compatibility issue with ASUS motherboards. I had no real choice but to get a refund at that point, and that is when I got the Antec Truepower Quattro. The only issue I've had with Antec is when my old Antec Earthwatts 650w died last year, but it had seen 7-8 years of almost 24/7 usage so I didn't really hold that against it, though it was certainly inconvenient.

My Seasonic was on a functional UPS.
I was not impressed, but the RMA service was first rate.
I had a couple Corsair TX models... they werent bad, but they weren't the best either....still have a functional TX 750 somewhere.....

Seasonic followed by the toughpower - I have an HX1000 and its been reliable for the last 4 years that I've used it. spookily enough that was an RMA replacement for a 950TX as well.

I'm considering making the jump to skylake when availability picks up.

Articles I've read indicate that for someone with a heavily overclocked i5-2500 like you there won't be a significant benefit. For gaming you'd be better off upgrading your GPUs.

As for the PSUs, does Skylake require PSUs to be Haswell-compatible?

You only need a Haswell-compatible PSU if you plan on using the low power sleep states.

Articles I've read indicate that for someone with a heavily overclocked i5-2500 like you there won't be a significant benefit. For gaming you'd be better off upgrading your GPUs.

Depends a lot on the individual situation. I use a 1080P 120hz Samsung monitor. I really like it and don't plan on upgrading it any time soon. My cards still do fine at 1080P and most of the games that I really care about tend to be CPU limited with my current setup (World of Warcraft for example). Part of that is trying to maintain 120fps as opposed to 60fps. In many cases I can maintain >60fps, but not 120, so in that situation if I only had a 60hz panel my existing CPU would indeed be enough. It's easy to turn down settings when the GPU isn't powerful enough, but you're pretty much up a creek if your CPU isn't powerful enough for the FPS you are trying to maintain. I try to maintain 120fps as much as possible.

That doesn't mean a GPU upgrade is off the table, but I prefer to stagger my upgrades and it makes sense to start with where the bottleneck is (the CPU in my case). I have a separate thread going where much of this is discussed as it's getting pretty off-topic in this thread. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1871292

Back