Which phone should I get?

cnick79

[H]ard|Gawd
It's becoming time I replace my Nokia N8 on ATT with something newer. I love the smaller size and camera of the N8, but that's about it. I like smaller phones that can fit in my pocket without it feeling like a brick. I was thinking about the HTC One or the iPhone 5s. Are there any other good phones to consider? I'm not on contract and don't care if I'm on ATT or Verizon.

Best Android phone I have used to date is the HTC One. It is significanlty larger than the iPhone though. If you like to tinker with your phone Android allows you to do much more. If you just want to turn it on, set it up and use it iPhone.

Plenty of opinions here and a lot of comparisons if you Google HTC One vs Galaxy S4 vs iPhone 5.

Head to your local store and try them out as what works for me does not mean it will be the best for you.

There's a rumored One Mini coming out soon, so I would highly suggest waiting for that. Also, it's a bit late in the cycle to buy a 5, with the next iPhone due to be announced in about 3 months.

The One Mini sounds promising. I was just looking for info on the upcoming Moto X and that might be another possibility. My next biggest desire is a phone with great battery life.

If you want around 4-inch... iPhone 5. Apple's one of the few phone makers that doesn't equate small(ish) with slow. Still pretty fast, great camera, the best at gaming and offline music playback.

The HTC One is an awesome phone, but 4.7 inches isn't all that small. It's just not as huge as a Galaxy Note II or Optimus G Pro.

Get the EOS Lumia coming next month if you want to upgrade instead of downgrade from the N8 camera, which is still the best mobile phone camera to date :p

HAAC-microphone and the ability for 12x lossless zoom is also very nice for video recording.

Last edited:
I have the HTC One, it's a pretty darn good phone all around. The camera is ridiculously overhyped but it has some strengths. Pretty easy to use one handed. Would prefer to be back on my old Droid DNA or iPhone 5 though. I'd even rather be back on the Nexus 4 if it just had LTE. The Nokia 925 coming soon looks pretty awesome. Not sure if it is just a different name for the new 928 though.

I have the HTC One, it's a pretty darn good phone all around. The camera is ridiculously overhyped but it has some strengths. Pretty easy to use one handed. Would prefer to be back on my old Droid DNA or iPhone 5 though. I'd even rather be back on the Nexus 4 if it just had LTE. The Nokia 925 coming soon looks pretty awesome. Not sure if it is just a different name for the new 928 though.

The Lumia 925 and 928 are closely related, but they're not quite the same. The 925 is the better of the two, in my mind: it's thinner, lighter and more nicely built. The 928 is still thinner and probably lighter than the 920, but it's a decidedly Verizon-like phone (i.e. cheaper, not quite as stylish).

I do love Nokia phones. Their build quality is tops. However, I'm not sure how I feel about going to a Windows phone. Being stuck on Nokia using Symbian I tend to miss out on any apps. I'd rather not have that same problem until we start seeing more apps for Windows.

I do love Nokia phones. Their build quality is tops. However, I'm not sure how I feel about going to a Windows phone. Being stuck on Nokia using Symbian I tend to miss out on any apps. I'd rather not have that same problem until we start seeing more apps for Windows.

While I like WP8 over iOS, that is a key thing holding it back. One of the reasons I havent moved over as well.

The Lumia 925 and 928 are closely related, but they're not quite the same. The 925 is the better of the two, in my mind: it's thinner, lighter and more nicely built. The 928 is still thinner and probably lighter than the 920, but it's a decidedly Verizon-like phone (i.e. cheaper, not quite as stylish).

There are some key advantages to the 928 though.

-Storage is 16GB (925) vs. 32GB (928).
-Camera is 6-element w/dual-LED flash (925) versus 5-element w/Xenon flash (928)
-928 has built-in wireless charging, the 925 requires a backplate

Basically, the 925 has better build materials and aesthetics. The 928 has better functionality. Pick your poison. My wife wants a VERY good camera phone, and she is a professional photographer. The flash alone makes her prefer the 928 (though there's no guarantee that she will get it).

There are some key advantages to the 928 though.

-Storage is 16GB (925) vs. 32GB (928).
-Camera is 6-element w/dual-LED flash (925) versus 5-element w/Xenon flash (928)
-928 has built-in wireless charging, the 925 requires a backplate

Basically, the 925 has better build materials and aesthetics. The 928 has better functionality. Pick your poison. My wife wants a VERY good camera phone, and she is a professional photographer. The flash alone makes her prefer the 928 (though there's no guarantee that she will get it).

If she wants a good camera phone why is she even considering 928 over the upcoming EOS?

If she wants a good camera phone why is she even considering 928 over the upcoming EOS?

She's not. I'm talking among existing product (808 Pureview doesn't interest her due to the OS used). When the EOS is officially launched, that will likely move to the front for her. I also expect the next iPhone to have a superior camera when compared to the 5 or her current 4s.

While I like WP8 over iOS, that is a key thing holding it back. One of the reasons I havent moved over as well.

I like what windows is trying to do by unifying their phones, tablets, and PCs. I feel this will be the future of the everyday devices we use. Besides Windows, Apple will get there, Google and even ubuntu might take a stab.

Will the EOS have a true 41-mp camera? That seems absolutely ridiculous!

I like what windows is trying to do by unifying their phones, tablets, and PCs. I feel this will be the future of the everyday devices we use. Besides Windows, Apple will get there, Google and even ubuntu might take a stab.

Yes, and it's not ridiculous as the quality is so good it even beats some cheap system cameras. High pixel count gives oversampling and lossless zooming.

With those number of pixels I would expect there to be a lot of memory or the option for a memory card.

The sensor is 41 mp but the actual image is 38mp from what I hear.

consider buying a samsung smartphone i am using a samsung 8552 galaxy.

You might want to consider being a bit more detailed.

Also read the rules in regards to links in your sig box.

edit: Oh thats not your sig, thats something you copy and past to every post?

You might want to consider being a bit more detailed.

Also read the rules in regards to links in your sig box.

edit: Oh thats not your sig, thats something you copy and past to every post?

Just registered. He's a link spammer. Reported.

I ended up getting the HTC One last night. I couldn't hold off any longer. I went to the store and compared the iPhone 5, HTC One, and the Samsung Galaxy 4. I didn't care much for the S4. It felt cheap and if dropped, it would shatter or crack easily. I did like the S4 Active because it was water proof, had rubberized ends, and felt a little better in quality. The iPhone 5 seemed to have the best build quality and it was the perfect size I was looking for. However, while playing with the iPhone, I felt limited. There didn't seem like there was much I could do besides flip through the screen and open and close apps. The HTC One felt the snappiest out of all 3 I played with. I love the screen on the One. My only gripe is it's bigger than what I'm used to. I have little girl hands. If the HTC One was a little smaller it would be the perfect phone for me, but that's just me being picky. So far I have no regrets with the One!

Back