Which PBO to use in Bios for Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero board

jincuteguy

Limp Gawd
HI guys, so I have a 5900X and Asus VIII Crosshair Dark Hero board.
I was looking at the PBO in the Bios. I just realized that there are 2 PBOs in the Bios, one is under Extreme Overclocking and one is under Advanced.
So which one am I supposed to use if I want to use PBO to overclock?

I would say experiment and most likely the Extreme Overclocking one will do the trick but adjust and test.

I have the same motherboard with a 5900x and I use the advanced PBO menu, never had any trouble with it. In my opinion unless you are using the fclock enhancer (not recommended) or the option that allows you to switch between manual overclock and pbo instantly depending on cpu amperage consumption then the AMD PBO menu in the advanced section is recommended

have any of you had a cpu die i had a 5950x die recently had followed the der8auer video that showed him using the dynamic oc and pbo options. i got a replacement but i hoping mine was just a bad luck of draw. not that using these settings i what killed the cpu.

have any of you had a cpu die i had a 5950x die recently had followed the der8auer video that showed him using the dynamic oc and pbo options. i got a replacement but i hoping mine was just a bad luck of draw. not that using these settings i what killed the cpu.
Based on my experience with dynamic OC, even on the fastest switch setting it is still not fast enough to not cook the cpu when I start a prime 95 small ffts run. That might be what killed your cpu. Not saying you used prime 95 but some program you ran pushed your cpu way to hard at your manual oc before the motherboard could switch to pbo or stock (whichever you set)

i used both as shown in vid only apps i used recently when it died was Topaz Ai software for video editing and some photo work. light gaming in D2, should i choose one over the other? and not use both.

Back