Which OS?

Bbq

King of Charts
I'm in need of formatting my PC (Specs at the bottom), and reinstalling windows. The question: Which one? How is the support for those and my hardware? Any incompatabilities ?

XP Pro 32
XP Pro x64
Vista Ultimate x64
Vista Ultimate 32

Specs:
Intel E4300 @ 3.6ghz
Asus P5B-Deluxe (Non-WiFi version, and NOT the Vista edition)
eVGA 7800GT
2x1gb Buffalo Firestix PC8000
320gb Seagate 7200.10 SATA
300gb Maxtor Diamondmax 300gb SATA
160gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 SATA
LG H10 (I think) PATA
Silverstone ST50EF Element

Logitech MX 1000 (I'm hoping to replace it with an MX Revolution)
Microsoft Comfort Curve 4000
Home audio speakers (Amplifier, big ass speakers, subwoofers.. etc. Not really a problem, it plugs into a standard 3.5")

Thanks.

your golden for any of them based on hardware. The P5B is fully supported, even the non vista.

Now the debate begins, XP vs Vista, 32bit vs 64.

Vista 64bit FTW!

(but seriously, check your printer drivers, goofy and non-standard things like that you need to check drivers for, that might make your desicion for you)

Whoops, forgot to add the keyboard/mouse/speakers. They shouldn't be a problem though, they all have vista drivers.

The main thing is that Asus seems to have no Vista drivers for the P5B Deluxe except for the Vista edition.

I know its fully supported as i have used that exact board with vista 64 no problem. It'll install no problem, everything will install automatically execpt the soundmax drivers for your onboard soumd, and a quick check of asus's site shows 32 and 64bit drivers for it.

The other problem is that I don't have the driver cd. Which sorta makes it hard..

you don't need the CD. I check the asus site for ya, i swear its there, and a vista CD will have everything you need to get rolling.

I reccomend Vista Home Premium64 unless you need/use extra features in Ultimate version;) .

Back