Which of these x570 and b450-550 do you guys recommend?

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
Long story short my x370 and 1700 died, I trouble shoot all the parts. I was going to wait for AM5, but this created an urgency to buy time.

All options would end up driving far to micro center instead of waiting days for parts.

Option 1. My friend let me borrow his 2700x, buy a cheap motherboard like this one.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...jeZelNxn-DF47hnplpQdR397uscPAePZ6x90cuLCy-iTQ

Option 2. Take advantage of new costumer deal, get $50 off a 5600x, get entry level X570 mobo. Then which of the following?
MSI X570-A PRO , ASRock X570 Phantom gaming, and the MSI X570 MPG Gaming Plus.

GPU I recently got a 6950xt open box for $830, I couldnt pass it up, and a new 1300W PSU that I got after some testing, old 1200W was 11yrs old.

What do you guys think?

if you were already planning on going AM5... personally I would get a cheap motherboard (like option 1) and borrow the 2700X ... sell the board later for most of money back and then proceed with the AM5 upgrade in a few months? I don't entirely see dumping a fair bit into a AM4 build at this point ... I think you'll feel regret once AM5 hits shortly.

Of course this assumes you have the funds for what is likely to be a more expensive upgrade with DDR5 costs etc...

if you were already planning on going AM5... personally I would get a cheap motherboard (like option 1) and borrow the 2700X ... sell the board later for most of money back and then proceed with the AM5 upgrade in a few months? I don't entirely see dumping a fair bit into a AM4 build at this point ... I think you'll feel regret once AM5 hits shortly.

Of course this assumes you have the funds for what is likely to be a more expensive upgrade with DDR5 costs etc...
I would do option 1 - and buy a $60 motherboard - assuming, you will save up a budget that can afford an AM5 system with DDR5 memory - that hasn't reduced in price much, yet. Also, Alder Lake stuff will still be out..... I would choose AM5 or Alder Lake right now - rather than invest in AM4 stuff - unless you find a great deal - $50 off on the cpu is good but not sure it'd be enough incentive for me. It's not bad, though.

well here's what I ended up happening.
Initial intention was the cheap mobo and the 2700x. Slept and woke up maybe the 5600x with the discount ($140) is cheap enough to make it worth my while. Went to MC and opted for the 5800x (250$ after discount), and Asus TUF gaming x570 plus wifi extra ($20 for cpu mobo combo).

Why?

I want AM5, but I want the 3d memory stacked processors, I decided I wanted to try to enjoy more out of it right now, I actually considered going 5800x3d, but at this point it would have put me a few days away from waiting for it, its also $200 more. It was a moment of weakness when I was surrounded by so much hardware. I actually tried to see if they would apply the $50 discount to the 5900x they had on sale.

So far the only problems were Processor was idling high 74-76C, I reapplied paste now i'm idling 55-58C. I decided to do some testing on Prime 95 8 core torture, blend. It keeps a good constant 76C or so, and once the test starts pushing past 112W the processor creeps to 91C, I tried changing the fan curve on the CPU fan to try to help alleviate it by ramping it up earlier.
I have a Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 R with the bracket adaptor for AM4. Do these units have liquid in the chamber and lose over time? Does it not dissipate enough heat by todays standards?

I have another bug with windows in which the windows button refuses to work, no disk error, tried a bunch of methods to fix it, might be forced to eventually reinstall windows.

Last edited:
Initial intention was the cheap mobo and the 2700x. Slept and woke up maybe the 5600x with the discount ($140) is cheap enough to make it worth my while. Went to MC and opted for the 5800x (250$ after discount), and Asus TUF gaming x570 plus wifi extra ($20 for cpu mobo combo).

Why?

I want AM5, but I want the 3d memory stacked processors, I decided I wanted to try to enjoy more out of it right now, I actually considered going 5800x3d, but at this point it would have put me a few days away from waiting for it, its also $200 more. It was a moment of weakness when I was surrounded by so much hardware. I actually tried to see if they would apply the $50 discount to the 5900x they had on sale.

So far the only problems were Processor was idling high 74-76C, I reapplied paste now i'm idling 55-58C. I decided to do some testing on Prime 95 8 core torture, blend. It keeps a good constant 76C or so, and once the test starts pushing past 112W the processor creeps to 91C, I tried changing the fan curve on the CPU fan to try to help alleviate it by ramping it up earlier.
I have a Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 R with the bracket adaptor for AM4. Do these units have liquid in the chamber and lose over time? Does it not dissipate enough heat by todays standards?

I have another bug with windows in which the windows button refuses to work, no disk error, tried a bunch of methods to fix it, might be forced to eventually reinstall windows.
Nice choice. Who knows what AM5 will be like....may be buggy to start with. The 5800x may last you years.

I have a 5800x paired to a thermalright peerless assassin 120. It seems to be able to handle 170w at which point temps make it to the 90s.

Decent choice. I'd rather wait for all the quirks to be worked out of AM5 and for DDR5 to get faster like DDR4 did before jumping on the new stuff so I wouldn't fret over your decision. As for temps I bought a 5700X a couple months ago with Artic A35 air cooler and was experiencing uncomfortable temps too. Then i undervolted it , set the curve optimizer, enabled PBO2 and set the boost to the max +200. Seeing boosts to 4850+ with lower temps and better overall 3Dmark and other benchmark scores. Trying to manual OC and playing around with voltages was not getting anywhere near the same results and temps in the mid 90's C. edit: temps now approx mid 70's to low 80's C under heavy load.

Last edited:
Nice choice. Who knows what AM5 will be like....may be buggy to start with. The 5800x may last you years.

I have a 5800x paired to a thermalright peerless assassin 120. It seems to be able to handle 170w at which point temps make it to the 90s.

This is what I did... I went with 5800x paired with an ID-Cooling SE-226-XT, MSI Mag B550 Tomahawk, 32gb. Technically, I can probably skip AM5 for most of it's life.. but you know that damn upgrade itch.
Must have got a decent 5800x.. I have mid-30's idle.. and with this cooler I only see temps in 70's in certain games/scenarios.

This is what I did... I went with 5800x paired with an ID-Cooling SE-226-XT, MSI Mag B550 Tomahawk, 32gb. Technically, I can probably skip AM5 for most of it's life.. but you know that damn upgrade itch.
Must have got a decent 5800x.. I have mid-30's idle.. and with this cooler I only see temps in 70's in certain games/scenarios.

I need a good cooler for my 5600x, got the MSI B550 Mortar and the cpu still the stock cooler and I want to stay air cooling fur now.

Thermalright peerless assassin 120 se @ amazon for $40 is the best bang for your buck hsf you can get. It's as good as a d15 for less than half the price.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Long story short my x370 and 1700 died, I trouble shoot all the parts. I was going to wait for AM5, but this created an urgency to buy time.

All options would end up driving far to micro center instead of waiting days for parts.

Option 1. My friend let me borrow his 2700x, buy a cheap motherboard like this one.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...jeZelNxn-DF47hnplpQdR397uscPAePZ6x90cuLCy-iTQ

Option 2. Take advantage of new costumer deal, get $50 off a 5600x, get entry level X570 mobo. Then which of the following?
MSI X570-A PRO , ASRock X570 Phantom gaming, and the MSI X570 MPG Gaming Plus.

GPU I recently got a 6950xt open box for $830, I couldnt pass it up, and a new 1300W PSU that I got after some testing, old 1200W was 11yrs old.

What do you guys think?
I'm a bit late to the party but IIRC you can't run 1st or 2nd Gen Ryzen parts on a 500 Series MB

Why?

The ASUS TUF Gaming is a fine MB, I have the Non-WiFi version of it and it's been rock solid for 2+ Years. The 5800X is a fine choice and a great Processor. If all you do is game, then the 5800X3D will be a sweet upgrade when it drops to around what you paid for the 5800X.

Back