Which of these two laptops?

bigjohnnc

n00b
Hi all-- been browsing the forums a while and getting ready to pull the trigger on a new laptop. Besides the normal browsing and work applications, I need something a little more robust than my old machine for graphic and video editing (Adobe Creative Suite). I've narrowed it down to these two (unless someone has a better recommendation).

Has to be a Windows machine, 17" or bigger. Definitely needs to be a laptop (I have a desktop at work but I need something I can sit in my easy chair and work with at home as well as travel).

Thanks in advance for any insight!

https://www.newegg.com/metallic-gray-msi-creator-17m/p/2WC-000C-010Z5

https://www.newegg.com/metallic-gray-msi-creator-17m/p/2WC-000C-010Z5

Both of those links are exactly the same.

And Creative Suite is now totally obsolete: Adobe ceased development of retail-boxed or perpetually licensed products outside of the cheapo Elements line back in 2012. CS6, which dated all the way back to 2012, was the very last version of the Creative Suite products. Afterwards, Adobe now only releases Creative Cloud products, which requires that you pay monthly on a subscription basis. And you will need the very newest version of Premiere Pro, 14.2, released on May 19, 2020, in order to enable hardware H.264/HEVC encoding with your planned laptop. So why bother with eight-year-old software on a new PC?

Between the two, go with the Asus. It has the more powerful GPU. However, the MSI has the advantage of 64 GB of RAM versus 32 GB on the Asus. But MSI's choice of storage for that system is illogical, with a 2 TB m.2 SSD but only a 1 TB spinning HDD. It should have both been m.2 SSDs in that laptop, not that unusual drive combination.

And Creative Suite is now totally obsolete: Adobe ceased development of retail-boxed or perpetually licensed products outside of the cheapo Elements line back in 2012. CS6, which dated all the way back to 2012, was the very last version of the Creative Suite products. Afterwards, Adobe now only releases Creative Cloud products, which requires that you pay monthly on a subscription basis. And you will need the very newest version of Premiere Pro, 14.2, released on May 19, 2020, in order to enable hardware H.264/HEVC encoding with your planned laptop. So why bother with eight-year-old software on a new PC?

Yes I meant Adobe Creative Cloud.

Back