Which of these keyboards would you recommend?

Astralogic

Gawd
Hello, I'm looking for a new (but cheapish) keyboard. I currently have a HyperX Alloy FPS with blue switches. It is a brilliant keyboard in every way, but these blue switches are too loud when I'm recording, so as awesome as it is it has to go.

I have found these three options:

DREVO Gramr

Mini Wired Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

AFX Firefight K01

Each one is obviously not as good as my HyperX, but I'd like opinions, out of these three which would you go for and why?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have used the magicforce, it is one of my backups. It is an excellent board, especially for the price. The cable plug position is a little annoying, it is routed through a channel to the mid area of the underside of the board.

I have had my eye on the Gramr, it is a very cheap entry to the 75% layout, and I would like to try it before investing serious money in the layout.

The last board is a fullsize, and I have not had much of a desire to return to that ever since going to smaller layouts, but if you think your productivity would be better, that may be the best choice for you.

Overall, I would do the Gramr. On a side note, have you used MX browns before? They are still rather loud. You might have to jack the floor up of your recording threshold to keep them out, or at least put some o rings on.

Thanks for the information. No I've never used browns before, I just assumed they would be quiet, but they will definitely be quieter then blue switches, that's for sure.

Since you have experience with the magicforce and says it's good, I'll go for that one. Thanks.

Thanks for the information. No I've never used browns before, I just assumed they would be quiet, but they will definitely be quieter then blue switches, that's for sure.

Since you have experience with the magicforce and says it's good, I'll go for that one. Thanks.

Browns are a less clacky, but it depends if you touch or mash. I like them, but don't like the Corsair they came on very much.

I have no personal experience with any of the keyboards that you linked.

Are any mechanical keys silent? I used to use reds, they were sort of quiet, but I found them a bit "floaty" if you know what I mean, I like a more definite "press".

Are any mechanical keys silent? I used to use reds, they were sort of quiet, but I found them a bit "floaty" if you know what I mean, I like a more definite "press".

I'm not quite sure what you mean by floaty, but do you mean that you'd like to be able to tell when the key actuates? If so, it sounds like the MX Browns discussed above might be more in line with what you're looking for. Or any tactile key, really. I prefer MX Clears, as they have a more pronounced "bump" when the key is pressed than Browns do (without being nearly as noisy as Blues/Greens), but either should provide more feedback than Reds.

Silent is a strong word. The amount of sound that a keyboard makes during use depends on more than the switch. The material of the keys, the plate, any padding, the switch, and the typist all come in to effect. In general though, linear switches tend to be a little quieter than tactile or clicky, unless you really mash on the keys, and have a loud plate material.

before buying a cheaper keyboard at least try putting landing pads or o-rings on the one you have and like ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubber-Dam...1529371940&sr=1-37&keywords=cherry+silent+red

I use a Filco MT2 TKL MX-REDS w/ dampers and pbt double shots it isn't totally silent but it is probably quieter than a membrane keyboard.
(imho.. having both MX-Brown and MX-Red keyboards they feel pretty close to each other as the tactile bump on the browns is so slight.. especially with o-rings installed the feel is pretty much the same.

You'll have to bump your budget but you might also look for a keyboard w/ mx silent reds

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cherry-mx-silent-red-black,33430.html

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back