Which of these is the faster /better memory

niceplace

Weaksauce
Which of these is the faster /better memory

OCZ (OCZ2P8002GK) 2GB (2x1024MB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 CL 4-5-4-15 PLATINUM XTC EDITION DUAL CHANNEL KIT

OCZ (OCZ2P800R22GK) 2GB (2x1024MB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC EDITION REVISION 2 DUAL CHANNEL KIT

OCZ (OCZ2G8001GK) 1GB (2x512MB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 CL 5-5-5-12 Gold XTC Dual Channel Kit

OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 2048MB KIT, w/two 1024MB PC6400 XTC,CL4-4-4-16, Rev2 OCZ2P800R22GK

I am not to sure what the figures mean CL 4-5-4-15 especially the double digit number at the end.

The second one I believe is the best one there.

OCZ (OCZ2P800R22GK) 2GB (2x1024MB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC EDITION REVISION 2 DUAL CHANNEL KIT

Thanks AMD RULES, i know which way im headed now. Do you know what the last double digit means in this CL 4-4-4-15

What is the difference between the above and this CL4-4-4-16

Im sure i used to know this, maybe i could do with some new memory for my head :)

Courtesy of Wikipedia :p

tCAS
The number of clock cycles needed to access a certain column of Data in SDRAM. CAS Latency, or simply CAS, is known as Column Address Strobe Latency, sometimes referred to as tCL.
tRCD
The number of Clock cycles needed between a Row Address Strobe (RAS) and a CAS. It is the time required between the computer defining the row and column of the given memory block and the actual read or write to that location. Stands for Row address to Column address Delay.
tRP
The number of clock cycles needed to terminate access to an open row of memory, and open access to the next row. Stands for Row precharge time.
tRAS
The minimum number of clock cycles needed to access a certain row of data in RAM between the data request and the precharge command. Known as Active to Precharge Delay.

So a figure like 4-4-4-16 represents tCAS - tRCD - tRP - tRAS

for reference, trcd has the largest effect on performance. tcl (cas) and trp are roughly the same, smaller effect than trcd. tras is like.. minute effect :p

just curious, why are all the choices ocz? ;)

I must have a closer look at Wikipedia, it seems to be a wealth of information. Its just something i never think of looking at. Cheers setekh.

(cf)Eclipse thanks for the info. So taking the two double digit figures of (15) and (16) which are tRAS the difference is not worth worrying about. Is that correct.

To answer your question over ocz, i was drawn by the lifetime warranty they offer. I am running with two 512mb sticks of ocz now and they are trouble free. Unlike the 2 x 512mb sticks of corsair they replaced. These were replaced under warranty when one stick proved to be faulty. The firm i bought from didnt have any corsair in stock for the replacement and offered me a refund, so i picked ocz to replace them. So i thought for my upgrade to 2 x 1gb i would go for ocz again. Whats you opinion of ocz memory by the way.

indeed you are correct

and ocz does have a nice warranty, but they're not the only one with something like that ;) (they're pretty good in my eyes)
corsair also has a lifetime warranty. and so does crucial. and g.skill. and teamgroup. and and.. :p

One more question, when does the tRAS start to show a noticable difference. I mean i have seen this figure 4.4.4.12. would there be much in it with say 4.4.4.15 or 4.4.4.16.

I didnt realise so many firms gave a life time warranty. I looked at the names you mentioned and in the UK some of them are a bit pricey. Due i think to there being only a few retailers selling the more exotic names. Corsair are stocked widely, one site seemed to only offer corsair. The store i like to deal with has only ocz in stock at the moment but it is at a good price and free delivery. Saying that though im still not 100% certain if i want to part with my cash. But there again i never am :D

One more question, when does the tRAS start to show a noticable difference. I mean i have seen this figure 4.4.4.12. would there be much in it with say 4.4.4.15 or 4.4.4.16.

it really depends on some other timings aside from those four... along the top is tras, the timing in question. notice how little the superPI 1m time changes from the lowest to highest value. along the left is trc. notice how as trc changes, the optimal tras changes? ;)

(red = faster, blue = slower)
trc+tras.png

I would like to say i understand, but i dont :) What do the numbers in the coloured segment equate to.What are the figures down the left hand side.I found this site which gives an explanation of the terms

Code:
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/64

but i still dont fully understand. Can you give me a simple explanation.

the numbers that are shaded is the time that it took to run superPI 1M. lower is better
on the top is tras. left is trc. there's not really much more to say about that. don't concern yourself with what timings actually do, but instead, the effect on performance. you're not designing the ram, so you don't need to know what it does :p

yup. grab superPI and play around with it. it's a good benchmark, and a decent way to check stability on the ram (32M)

Thanks for all the help (cf)Eclipse, your a star. Ive downloaded superPI and run it at (1m) and the result was 39s. This is with

OCZ (OCZ2G8001GK) 1GB (2x512MB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 CL 5-5-5-12 Gold XTC Dual Channel Kit.

Is the prog best run with the least amount of app,s and processes running.

You were nearly correct, its an amd 64 X2 4200+ am2. Wonder if i will see much of an improvement when i eventually get my slightly faster ram.

superPI is almost entirely dependant on cpu with AM2, since ddr2 is already so damn fast :p

Yeah im pretty happy with that nice fast ocz ddr2, i may start a fan club :D . No more corsair for me, thats for sure.

Back