Which of these drives should the pagefile be on?

Synomenon

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got these two drives in my notebook:

Mushkin 240GB Atlas mSATA SSD:
asssdbenchmknssdat240gb.png
asssdbenchmknssdat240gb.png

Intel 300GB G3
asssdbenchintelssdsa2cw.png
asssdbenchintelssdsa2cw.png

I installed Windows 8 Pro. x64 on the Mushkin drive. Should I have installed it on the Intel instead?

Also, if Windows 8 is better on the Mushkin drive, should I keep the pagefile on the Mushkin drive as well or move it over to the Intel drive? I usually create a static 2GB pagefile.

I've got a single 8GB DDR3 1333 stick of RAM.

Last edited:
Usually the drive with the higher random 4K performance is better suited for the swapfile if only one drive should be used. Best would be to have swap space on the drive that has the lower IO load during swap heavy tasks. If the drives see about the same IO load you can also have swap space on both drives, Windows will then stripe the paging for higher overall performance. Do you really have a workload that makes use of the swapfile with 8 GB RAM? Get a second 8 GB stick unless you use a single channel processor (i.e. Atom).

This notebook has only one RAM slot and I do have some programs that complain or won't work w/o a pagefile.

The Mushkin has higher numbers for "4K" and "4K-64Thrd". Does that mean it's better to have the pagefile on it?

Which of the SSDs would it be better to install Windows 8 Pro. x64 on then?

Windows should be installed on the Mushkin. If your workload makes heavy use of the pagefile (this can be monitored through the resource monitor), the best would be to place pagefiles on both drives. If your workload produces a high IO on one of the drives, the pagefile should be on the other drive. There is no better answer without knowing your workload.

Will there be a noticeable difference w/ the OS on one of these SSDs vs. the other?

Always put it on the fastest drive unless you need a LOT of pagefile (most apps do not).

Back