Which of these 5 mobos and why?

Well hopefully its down to whether or not I get a new P5Q Pro for under a hundred bucks ;)

If not then I'm seriously just going to flip a coin for it haha.

Chaos theory ftw

Both are great boards, if I had to buy one right now I'd go with the P5Q Pro just because it's cheaper. I've actually owned three P5Q Pros, one with a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz, one with an E8400 @ 4.0GHz and then the one I'm currently running with a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz.

4.0%20stable%20edited.jpg

3.6%2012hrs%20stable.jpg

The P5Q Pro has better BIOS support or at least there's always a new one being released (or modded for that matter) every few weeks.

Gigabyte seems to take some time on theirs. I've tried some of the betas, but haven't had as much luck.

Why is the P5Q Pro not listed on Asus, products page? I see a bunch of the other P45 boards but not the P5Q Pro.

I might be purchasing a semi used one and wanted to make sure I got all the accessories that come with it, but I can't find the package contents on the Asus page because the board isn't listed there.

Why is the P5Q Pro not listed on Asus, products page? I see a bunch of the other P45 boards but not the P5Q Pro.

I might be purchasing a semi used one and wanted to make sure I got all the accessories that come with it, but I can't find the package contents on the Asus page because the board isn't listed there.

The Asus P5Q Pro is on the Asus website but you gotta search for it:
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=709&l4=0&model=2269&modelmenu=1

400fsb is not impressive :p

As for price, its 10 dollars more expensive when you factor in the rebate, I have the non-crossfire version and im loving it, To me its really a choice of which brand sounds good to you, do not listen to peoples ''i have had *enter brand here* go doa on me 4 times*, Doa happends to everyone and should not really factor in which company to go with. I have dealt with gigabytes and asus rma service and both are excellent.

Is there a particular BIOS version that is commonly used for overclocking on the P5Q Pro?

I remember reading something about a version that solves a Vdroop?

Or should I just use the most up to date from Asus?

Just use the most up to date. Check out this thread, use the modded BIOS. I am using modded 1306 but also had good luck with the 803 (iirc the e8400 @ 4.0GHz was using the 803). All versions of the BIOS have a setting that removes vDroop, you can choose to use it or not.

Alright, now my question is, what exactly is vdroop?

It is a drop in voltage from what it is set to in the BIOS, to prevent voltage spikes caused by the CPU being loaded from exceeding safe values. ASUS boards have a feature called Load Line Calibration that reduces Vdroop while also compensating for those voltage spikes.

The effect of Vdroop that you will see is that the actual voltage being supplied to the CPU will be less than what you set it to in the BIOS.

Back