Which next gen console do you have the least interest in?

tybert7

2[H]4U
I have a question for you all who go the console route, thought of it while writing a different post.

out of sony microsoft or nintendos next gen console, which do you have the least interest in?

I ask because I have heard from legions of guys that they bought a wii only to have it collect dust. The games they wanted to play were on the REAL consoles that could play the more advanced games. Knowing that is how things panned out, will you still get the relatively dated next gen wii, or will you skip it entirely and get one of the big boys consoles?

Without any real information on any of the consoles I could not say if I am even going to get a console this next generation.

We know absolutely nothing about the next systems from Sony and MS, and we don't know all that much about Nintendo's either.
The only people that can/will answer that question are those who hate/love certain companies for one reason or another.

Only thing we know about is the new Wii and honestly after getting turbo bored with the Wii I'm not thrilled to get the new one.

I think Nintendo is in big trouble...

With the latest price drops for the 3DS and many developers voicing the WII U's questionable release timing (current gen console being released a year or two before future gen consoles?) I would be very, very worried if I was in their position.

I likely will not buy the Xbox 720 or whatever it ends up being.

I see no reason to play Xbox games when I can play those same games on the PC.

As for the PS4, that's where my console gaming will be, since the PS exclusives are always better.

Wii U. It's another nintendo console, with the same power as the current MS/Sony models (5/6 year old MS/sony models) and a stupid controller. It also a nintendo console meaning first part games and the occasional minimal imput from 3rd parties, and unfortunately I don't care much about nintendos stream of the same 5 games since 1903.

Still wont care about another xbox if they continue with the pay to play p2p multiplayer service. It put me off the first and second xbox as its something you can get in multiple places for the same/better quality, for free. It does also tends to have generic exclusives I don't care about.

Don't really know anything about either the ms or sony console...so I can't tell. But it will only be when there is a particular game I can't get on PC when I will probably get one of either. Though, as I said, the xbox tends to have generic titles or that come out on PC aswell.

lol here we go again with the nintendo is in trouble again comments......

when will you guys ever learn.......now onto the topic at hand

Given the state of the of all the crap people have had to endure with Sony and the PS3, most likely will not get a PS4.....

All of the above.

If anything, I'll get a Wii U because Nintendo has proven that they can make consoles that don't die (for the most part). Both Sony and MS had rampant device failure in this generation. Nintendo barely even flinched.

It's simply not acceptable to have a console that dies less than 2 days after ownership. Hell, I've still got my original N64 that I got on launch day, and it works fine. That thing has been thrown in boxes, shoved under beds, and just plain thrown around, but it still works perfectly fine.

We don;t know anything about them yet really so how can anyone answer this?

At this moment in time all of them. I only ever turn my PS3 on to stream/BR now and very rarely touch the 360/Wii. Next gen holds no interest at all....especially when you consider they aren't gonna hold a candle to even todays top end gaming rigs.

Pass.

I'll likely wait for Sony's next gen system after the first price drop. SCE has a history of superior first party titles so I would expect overall the system to be a better buy. Of course that's not the rule, just an initial reaction.

I'm least interested in the Wii-U. It seems like it's going to be a repeat of Nintendo's console from this generation- outdated hardware and shitty third party support.

.especially when you consider they aren't gonna hold a candle to even todays top end gaming rigs.

I don't know how powerful the hardware will be, but it's certain next gen Sony/MS console games will have better graphics than any of today's PC games. Console optimization is on another level. Like Carmack said when talking about PS Vita vs. future Ipod graphics,with dedicated hardware, they can do graphics equivalent to something twice as powerful.

All of the above.

If anything, I'll get a Wii U because Nintendo has proven that they can make consoles that don't die (for the most part). Both Sony and MS had rampant device failure in this generation. Nintendo barely even flinched.

It's simply not acceptable to have a console that dies less than 2 days after ownership. Hell, I've still got my original N64 that I got on launch day, and it works fine. That thing has been thrown in boxes, shoved under beds, and just plain thrown around, but it still works perfectly fine.

+1. I own all of Nintendo's consoles and handhelds. All purchased within a year of launch. All of them still work perfectly.

I love both the Mario and Zelda series. I couldn't give a shit about what the hardware specs are or what it looks like; I love Nintendo's first party games. There are millions of people out there that feel the same way. Pair that with Nintendo selling all their hardware at a profit from day one means they really won't fail. They may fall to dead last, but they won't go under.

I am a fan of both Nintendo and Microsoft. So they will both get purchased. The only reason I have a PS3 is because it was one of the better blu-ray players at the time. I also purchased it when Sony was still losing huge amounts of money on each one, so I didn't feel guilty about buying it. (I don't own any games for it)

It's hard to deny that Nintendo is in a sticky situation... The 3DS price cut was HUGE... not just a minor cut. And the Wii U controller really doesn't impress me. It's design seems worse then the Wii's.

Not to mention how upset many gamers are at the current Wii. Nintendo has practically abandoned it... Hopefully to put greater efforts into Wii U, but still a bad move in my opinion to the customer base.

I absolutely loved Mario/Metroid/Zelda/SSB as a kid. I just wish Nintendo gave me a more compelling reason to purchase their systems.

And if the rumors about Xbox games being backward compatible on the PC, I think that's going to be huge. I've always been an Xbox fan so I'm rooting for them.

I'm least interested in the Wii-U. It seems like it's going to be a repeat of Nintendo's console from this generation- outdated hardware and shitty third party support.

I don't know how powerful the hardware will be, but it's certain next gen Sony/MS console games will have better graphics than any of today's PC games. Console optimization is on another level. Like Carmack said when talking about PS Vita vs. future Ipod graphics,with dedicated hardware, they can do graphics equivalent to something twice as powerful.

Was Carmack talking out of his ass again? he must have been because if you look at what was available for the PC GFX wise at the time of the 360 launch, it is quite clear that he has no clue what he is talking about. Want proof? Fire up Doom 3 on ye ol' 360 and then on the PC and tell me which one looks better and plays better

Want proof? Fire up Doom 3 on ye ol' 360 and then on the PC and tell me which one looks better and plays better

Doom 3 came out on Xbox not 360. I never played it but presumably it looks much better on PC. But a different company made it. So how the optimizations I'm talking about factor into that is unknown.

What Carmack was talking about and what I'm saying is with dedicated hw and low level access, you can get better results than what they can do on a system with better specs, but with an open system and APIs. Carmack specifically said in a closed system like Vita, they can get performance equivalent to the next generation of GPU. The context was in regards to what would happen if the iphone eventually had a more capable GPU than Sony's portable game system. And Carmack said don't worry because with the low level hw access, you can make up for a generation's worth of performance via efficiency. And the iphone wouldn't have better looking games until it was 2 generations ahead of Vita. Now he's talking about generations within a typical GPU product road map. Obviously when a new console launches it's usually way more than 1 generation ahead of the predecessor. For example Xbox had like a GF3/GF4 hybrid and PS3 (one console gen newer) came with a GF7.

If X720 gets a southern islands based GPU, it could end up with games comparable to what can be done on 2012-2013 era HD8000 series GPUs. Same goes for PS4.

I'm more than ready for next gen to start, but the diminishing returns for PC graphics vs console graphics will be the smallest they've ever been next gen.

Wii U simply for an updated Smash Bros experience. Always gotta have it lol.

Doom 3 came out on Xbox not 360. I never played it but presumably it looks much better on PC. But a different company made it. So how the optimizations I'm talking about factor into that is unknown.

What Carmack was talking about and what I'm saying is with dedicated hw and low level access, you can get better results than what they can do on a system with better specs, but with an open system and APIs. Carmack specifically said in a closed system like Vita, they can get performance equivalent to the next generation of GPU. The context was in regards to what would happen if the iphone eventually had a more capable GPU than Sony's portable game system. And Carmack said don't worry because with the low level hw access, you can make up for a generation's worth of performance via efficiency. And the iphone wouldn't have better looking games until it was 2 generations ahead of Vita. Now he's talking about generations within a typical GPU product road map. Obviously when a new console launches it's usually way more than 1 generation ahead of the predecessor. For example Xbox had like a GF3/GF4 hybrid and PS3 (one console gen newer) came with a GF7.

If X720 gets a southern islands based GPU, it could end up with games comparable to what can be done on 2012-2013 era HD8000 series GPUs. Same goes for PS4.

I'm more than ready for next gen to start, but the diminishing returns for PC graphics vs console graphics will be the smallest they've ever been next gen.

sorry It should have been quake 4 but some reason I got doom 3 stuck in the head........but regardless the point stands console hw is always SIGNIFICANTLY out of date at release and you cannot say that you can get 2x the results of a PC....never gonna happen unless PC becomes stagnet (it is not) or you use a really old PC......now if Carmack stated that you could get more consistant results with a console due to a fixed hardware platform, he might have a point.....the problem is with consoles you are locked into a fixed feature set and performance envelope that cannot be typically upgraded.....while the PC has cone through 3+ version of DX and an order of manitude increase in typical processing power P4 to 2nd gen i series not to mention the more than 5x increase in graphics processing power (single chip)

All of the above.

i went thru 3 wii's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMw0ewS0rqk

Considering we no nothing about Microsoft or Sony's next gen....?

Even still, I'll have to go with Nintendo. The Wii was a huge disappointment for me and the Wii U doesn't impress me.

All of the above.

Your talking about Microsoft with that statement. They lost over a billion on hardware failures probably more. Sony's huge mistake was the hacking incident which also cost them dearly. Everyone will get their panties in a bunch with whatever tickles their fancy at the moment, two or three years ago it was Microsoft this year it's Sony. All forgoten the moment the consoles go live.

I personally am waiting on Playstation 4. Not because I am a fanboy but because I know what I'll be getting with Xbox 720 (I'll probably buy it). Not so with the Playstation 4. I think Sony learned a hard lesson with Live kicking the hell out of them. Both consoles are neck and neck with world wide sales with the general idea that Live is what keeps Xbox'ers happy and the flood of Sony A-AAA exclusives for Sony's camp happy.

Hardware wise expect Kinect to be mainstream with 720, more Gears, more Halo, and more Xbox'ish stuff. :D

I'm waiting to see what Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Zipper Interactive, etc. come out with. I'm also interested in their hardware choices much moreso than Microsoft because I believe they are going for ease of development this time aswell. A new online system and those things would be impressive.

With little to no information on the next Sony or Microsoft console, i'm interested to hear what they will both offer in the next gen.
I'm VERY tempted to buy a 360, but i keep thinking to myself that it's only going to be what 2 years maybe until the next Playstation or Xbox potentially? May just wait it out without one.

Only thing we know about is the new Wii and honestly after getting turbo bored with the Wii I'm not thrilled to get the new one.

I agree. It doesn't seem like it's too big of an improvement, other than the portable controller (gimmicky). Wii 2.0 - aimed at the same crowd. Not me.

How can anyone answer this now? Ask this question once there is something concrete from all 3 of them. How can I have little interest in something that isn't anything right now? Even Nintendo has changed the hardware 3 times since E3, and their vagueness didn't explain anything.

Right now I'm interested in my PC and more 3DS games. The way things are going now, I have no interest in the next gen.

I have no real interest in any of them. Unless Sony or MS do something drastic to radically alter my current way of thinking I probably won't buy any next gen consoles. I've had all three current gen systems and I barely ever play them. There are some good games I'll get around to trying eventually on each of them, but I feel like I wasted my money buying them instead of waiting for them to their good games to be super cheap. At the start of this generation I said it would be my last time buying consoles and that will probably hold true. I'll keep an eye on what they're doing, but they will need to do something Earth shattering for me to change my mind now.

I might do exactly the same as now, play FPSs on PCs and then everything on the PS3.
So it will be FPSs on PCs and everything else on the PS4 next gen.

I might do exactly the same as now, play FPSs on PCs and then everything on the PS3.
So it will be FPSs on PCs and everything else on the PS4 next gen.

Unless there is something seriously wrong with it, multiplat titles are always PC for me. I don't really like controllers that much so if I can get away with not using one I'm extremely happy.

I may be mistaken, but even when the ps3 and 360 were out they didn't look as good as the most powerful pc at the time so there is no way the next gen consoles are going to pump out shit that looks as good as even todays top end stuff. Unless they don't come out until 2015ish.

And as far as topic, I couldn't give a shit less about Nintendo so the Wii U is the one I don't care about.

Your talking about Microsoft with that statement. They lost over a billion on hardware failures probably more. Sony's huge mistake was the hacking incident which also cost them dearly. Everyone will get their panties in a bunch with whatever tickles their fancy at the moment, two or three years ago it was Microsoft this year it's Sony. All forgoten the moment the consoles go live.

I personally am waiting on Playstation 4. Not because I am a fanboy but because I know what I'll be getting with Xbox 720 (I'll probably buy it). Not so with the Playstation 4. I think Sony learned a hard lesson with Live kicking the hell out of them. Both consoles are neck and neck with world wide sales with the general idea that Live is what keeps Xbox'ers happy and the flood of Sony A-AAA exclusives for Sony's camp happy.

Hardware wise expect Kinect to be mainstream with 720, more Gears, more Halo, and more Xbox'ish stuff. :D

I'm waiting to see what Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Zipper Interactive, etc. come out with. I'm also interested in their hardware choices much moreso than Microsoft because I believe they are going for ease of development this time aswell. A new online system and those things would be impressive.

I don't think Sony pumps out that many more A-AAA games, and I hope Sucker Punch closes up shop and everyone that works there starves.

Here is my 02. This gen, people were wondering what console would be the most powerful and pump out the best graphics. Now we all know that whatever comes out will probably be neck and neck, with the developers being able to work with making graphics better on one system vs another.

And if Sony can get a better online system, like LIVE, I think this next gen will come down to Exclusives.

Let's face it, you can get most games on both systems, and they work out to be about the same. And again, I think next gen systems will be neck and neck with performance so it'll come down to exclusives.

Which means I'll have both. Sony for Uncharted and MS for their exclusives.

Wii U, lost interest with Nintendo back in the cartridge days... low end graphics, designed more for kids, which is fine, but need better graphics, mature titles.

All of the above.

This, if anything, always bet on Nintendo hardware. It's always been very reliable and extremely rugged. XBox 360/PS2/PS3? Not so much. Still, don't rule me out for a next gen offering from MS, possibly Sony.

The biggest issue I've noticed with current consoles is DUST. Too much dust! All too often I find that too few people even know or bother to clean out the vents and fans of dust when asked to make repairs to their failed system. System gets clogged up and can't vent heat properly, thus the fragile lead-free solder joints wear out from extreme thermal cycling and bam! YLoD/RRoD.

The next generation needs some kind of easy to clean dust filters for air intakes, or a positive pressure airflow design of some sort.

Since this was my thinking last generation this will probably be my thinking this upcoming generation again. I enjoy the Playstation for its first party games. I enjoy Nintendo for its classic Nintendo games with Mario, Zelda, ect. Then I get everything else PC. I don't enjoy Microsoft games as in GoW and Halo cause I'm not a big fan of FPS and controllers. So I will get Playstation 4 first more than likely and after a price drop and a number of Nintendo games I'd like out I'd get a Wii U later on.

I'm least interested in the console that give the developers the biggest headaches, because that typically leads to bad games. I want the fun games. Could care less what console it runs on, as long as it runs reliably and doesn't force me to use paid services, the internet or batteries...

Well I'll throw out there that I have no interest in the portables at all. I have even less interest in the Wii U. Amazingly that is the same answer for the last couple generations too. :)

This, if anything, always bet on Nintendo hardware. It's always been very reliable and extremely rugged. XBox 360/PS2/PS3? Not so much. Still, don't rule me out for a next gen offering from MS, possibly Sony.

The biggest issue I've noticed with current consoles is DUST. Too much dust! All too often I find that too few people even know or bother to clean out the vents and fans of dust when asked to make repairs to their failed system. System gets clogged up and can't vent heat properly, thus the fragile lead-free solder joints wear out from extreme thermal cycling and bam! YLoD/RRoD.

The next generation needs some kind of easy to clean dust filters for air intakes, or a positive pressure airflow design of some sort.

I don't think that it dust was the major factor, especially considering how many, many people (me being one of them) had their 360s fail within a couple of days of purchase.

To the guy that said I was only talking about MS when I was talking about hardware failure, Sony had their fair share of hardware failure also (Yellow Light of Death, hard drive corruption, etc). It wasn't as widespread as the Microsoft's, but they definitely had a much higher failure rate than Nintendo.

My Sega Genisis still works flawlessly, and it was sitting in a humid garage for years... the NES works too but takes a couple tries to power up. Original gameboy works as well but screen is kinda weak (or maybe it was always like that?!)

Funny how in some ways technology has become more unreliable

if someone gave me a Wii U and I had to keep it, it would literally sit in my house unopened.

Back