MikeF98765

Gawd
I'm stuck. I want to buy a HD Based MP3 player, and im stuck between
Rio Karma
iRiver iHP-120
iPod
Samsung Napster YP910s
Dell DJ

Now. Im really like the idea of the fm transmitter in the samsung napster. Does anyone know how the navigation on this unit is? I just realized the fm transmitter has a removable antenna which is less cool, and i may just buy a transmitter for any player.

I just found out about the rio karma, has anyone heard anything about this?

What i didn't like about the iRiver i played with was as i was browsing songs, it displayed file names, and in a cd that was ripped as track number - artists - song, it took a long time because i had to wait for it to scroll to see the song name. I dont know if theres a way to make it display ID3 tag song names, but i was hoping there was a player that did, or had a better way of displaying the songs.

Storage space is more than adequate on any of these for me. I need a player that can act as a external hard drive, and i want something with good navigation. Can anyone give me their opinions on any of these players? Thanks.

iPod :)

<edit>I thought your name looked familar, then I relized it was from mymonte</edit>

heh, yeah, i always find it weird when i see people at seperate forums. but yeah, ipod was the vibe i got from mymonte.

actually i was wrong i got no replys from mymonte, but car audio forum told me to go ipod from pretty much everyone.

I'm not a big apple fan, but they did something right with this player. It has nice navigation features and looks just plain bad ass, imo.

I just bought the 20g iPod and I couldn't be happier. Great interface, and sleek as hell.

I'd have to disagree with the iPod for the following reasons:

Poor battery life
Overpriced

I like the karma. It has 16 hours of battery life (compared to the iPods 5 or 6), is about half the size, handles playlists a lot better, has support for .ogg, and is cheaper as well. The only disadvantage I can see is that it doesn't look as nice as the iPod, but I think I can live with that :)

I would have to very strongly say the iRiver.

It's priced similary to the 20 gig ipod but offers twice the battery life (it really does last that long). The sound quality is much better, has the optical and line in and outs, the nice remote and its well built and I think looks pretty good overall too.

To me sound quality was the most important and the Zen NX is well regarded here, I tested a few side by side and the iRiver was the same if not better so it seems they pull a Harman/Kardon and rate their product very modestly.

There are some nice features missing from the iRiver's firmware, MP3s are the only ones that can be put in the database and you can not make playlists on the fly. However it works where it matters and it's stable.

I compared back and forth between the iPod and the iRiver because they were the most compact but ultimately sound quality (and a better battery) made me choose the iRiver.

As you can see, I'm very happy with it, despite it's shortcomings. What you need to do is weigh each units advantages and disadvantages, none of them are the uber device. Although IMO after all my research the iRiver seems closest to it as long as you don't need more than 20 gigs of storage.

edit: I also at times use the recording features, so that was another factor in my decision.

emorphein is 100% correct. By my sig you can tell that I love my iRiver, and I use it literally everyday. Its an amazing little machine. Unlike the iPod, anything that you'll ever need for the little bugger is included in the package. And with time, the sadly somewhat flawed, yet extremely tollerable firmware will be improved.

It acts as an External Hard Disc no matter how you slice it also. I take mine with me and snag pictures off of some peoples computers, or just useful files.

The size of the thing is also pretty good. Its up there with the iPod. The case is also something thats quite a marvel. It allows access to anything that you would ever use regularly, and it just plain out rules and protects it from any type on scratching or whatever would happen to it.

My only other beef with it is that Ive got big hands, therefore the navigation thing in the middle can sometimes be troublesome, but then again, its got an LCD Remote that comes with it in which you can access all the functions that you would need to, without taking the beauty out of your pocket.

If you bought this one, I think you would be pleasantly impressed.

It really is the little things that matter, and Ive even left a few out, like the slow raising of the volume when you resume play so that it doesnt give you a heart attack, and the more than ample battery life, Ogg support...you get the picture.

But then again I will not dog the iPod. Ive never used one, but my lord, people swear by them. The choice is yours man. Good luck.

I've used the iPods and everyone around me has them. They are nice gadgets and they're nice fashion, just not the nicest sound quality. lol

They sell like crazy however and I feel like the odd one out. :p

Just to update if someone didnt know:

Apple has just released the ipod mini it is 4 gb and is very small the size of a business card and only a half of an inch thick. The battery will last 8hrs and it comes in colors. It costs 199 but apples site has it for more than that i think it might have shipping included or something. Check out www.apple.com for more info and the other stuff they released today.

PIctures

Mini%20ipod.jpg

ip3.jpg

ip2.jpg

Also the full size ipod has been upgraded to 15Gb for $300 same price ast the 10gb model

post bigger pictures next time please
hah

Last I saw on apples site I think they were $250 and that didn't include any tax or shipping. They are smaller though, no idea on sound quality yet.

While these are MUCH MUCH smaller, you pay $250 for a 4gig and the new 15 gig is $300....I was just relaying the message of the mini's

I'm going to reccomend Archos. I have one, it's pretty good. But I'm sure part of the reccomendation is just spite for Ipod.

Ok, I have huge news. At least this did it for me. iRiver just released a badass firmware upgrade for their iHP-100 and 120 series. The good news is, all that crap about firmware Ive been pissed about for the last month or so. However, shuffle is now random, when you shut the thing off, it can now resume playlist after you turn it on.

Now, I would have to say you have no other reasonable choice than to but this bad mother.

ill tell you why. The Nomad is huge, and doesnt act as an external plug and play harddisk. Thats why I wouldnt. The one plus is that it has probably the best sound quality of any of them out there, however the iRiver clearly had the iPod beat in the sound.

However, if you wanted the contrary, you can go to the iRiver international forums and hear all the bitching from their customers. I seem to be one of the few that isnt demanding insane things from the new firmware upgrade.

Again, the choice is yours.

I have a iRiver iHP-120 and love it. It was about $110cnd cheaper then then the iPod in my area and has more features, big reason why I got it. Just get better headphones. Really easy to use to transfer files, just plug it in no software needed (I'm on xp and pretty sure 2000 is the same way, not sure about 98). Really fast transfer rates. New firmware made it even better for me.

Really just about personal preferences. Go in store if u can and try them.

Aside from the fact that my Nomad Zen Xtra forces me to install drivers to use it, I'm quite happy with it. Size isn't too much of a problem for me, and the sound quality is amazing. Of course, the price per gigabyte sold me on this one. :)

(I've got the 40GB Zen Xtra).

Back