Which motherboard for e8400, or rather chipset?

threedd97

Limp Gawd
I bought an Asus P5N32-E SLI board for it, not realizing it doesn't "support" the cpu. I am not comforatable with the POST message I get everytime I boot up about an unknown processor and having to always hit F1 to get past it. Windows detects the CPU fine, but the motherboard won't. Once I make a decision on a new board, I will probably just RMA this one. Had it for less than a week.

So anyways, I was deciding between an x38 or 780i board. I favor nVidia GPU's over ATI and I like to have SLI available if I ever want to use it. SLI really isn't THAT big of a factor though seeing how I have never used it before and might never use it in the future though. On the other hand, from what I have read, the Intel chipsets seem to fair better with the new 45nm cpu's. So my question is which is really the better chipset for 45nm?

If your not going SLI there is really no reason to buy an nvidia chipset for an Intel processor at this point in time.. I personally think the P35 chipset is the best performance and value alternative for a single GPU machine.. Have a look at the Gigabyte P35-DS3R, Abit IP35 Pro, or the DFI DK P35-T2RS.. If those boards feature sets fit your needs their price points are really hard to pass up..

If you decide on p35 chipset dont get an ABIT that I know for sure. Currently its having problems core temp reporting.

I am using the XFX 780i I picked up at local Fry's B&M and love it. Set it unlinked and ran up to 1600FSB for 1:1 loving with my OCZ PC6400 cas4 and it is trucking along great. Got my E8400@ 3.6 with this setup, all throttling/power saving stuffs off and it is trucking along awesome.

Rest of Rig:
Antec A900 case
Antec 550W PSU
Intel Stock Cooler
7200.10 320gb (perpendicular lovin')
Benq 52/32/52 CDRW
Benq 16/12/48 DVDRW
eVga 8600GT 256mb
X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
D-Link PCI WiFi

One more question as well. If I got an x38 board, would my PCI-E 16x 7800GT work in the PCI-E 2.0 X16 slot? I know it wouldn't be able to take advantage of what 2.0 offers, but would the slot still accept my card? Does the card even fit in that slot?

The slots are compatible, so it'll work no problem.

Back