Which monitor manufacture is good?

timlab55

n00b
I have a choice of either a Samsung, LG, Deco, Sceptre and ViewSonic. First I have to tell you about my system, it's a Z-390-E motherboard, with i7-9700K chip. On top of that my GPU is a RX 5500 XT8GB OC. In addition to all this, my CPU has it's own GPU as well. I have two 27" monitors and a 17" monitor. 1 monitor is a Lenovo, then an AUSU, and the the 17" is a Hannspree. The 17" is the one being replaced. I'm would like to go with at least a 34/35 inch ultra wide monitor, 144hz, but I'll settle for a 120hz as well. I play COD, World of Warhips and RIsk as far as games go, and then I also working on two websites. So out of the 5 brands I mention, which order would you put them in #1 = 1st choice.
Thanks

Every single display needs to be evaluated on its own merit, regardless of manufacturer.
All of them have flaws/problems, some major. And things dont always improve.
Many also source the exact same panel, just go different routes as to coating, bezel, extra features, etc. Brand doesn't always mean best where/when different models are being looked at/compared.

Buying "a brand" is a bad way to do things.
All of them have duds. Buy a monitor on how good it is, not because it has your 'preferred' brand.

Reactions: Parja
like this
Yes, brand is meaningless. Manufacturers make good quality monitors and not so good ones, to satisfy different price points. Some brands just relabel another manufacturers components.

If you post your budget and some
modeL you are considering, you might get better feedback.

I just picked up the Acer 27 inch Predator. It was at a price point that I was wanting to spend as well as the specs. Also I was wanting to buy local so I can use it now. That left me choices a bit limited. Yes I could have waited and got my first choice but the specs were where I was looking at. Only down side was it was a flat panel. Where my last one was curved. You are limiting yourself with the GPU you have to run 3 panels and get a lot out of them.

Yes, brand is meaningless. Manufacturers make good quality monitors and not so good ones, to satisfy different price points. Some brands just relabel another manufacturers components.

If you post your budget and some
modeL you are considering, you might get better feedback.
High end NEC/Ezio monitors will never be duds for their intended market. Unfortunately their markets are digital artists working for TV/Movie companies who need to be sure their content looks exactly the same on the screen of every person working on it, and people creating artwork to be printed (who need to make sure their colors are correct so it looks the same on screen and in print); not gamers like most people here so they don't have most of the features we want in high end displays.

And unfortunately not only is there not a company operating at similar quality standards in the gaming market, as long as r/pcmasterrace drools most visibly over more frag harder disco lights not better functionality vendors making "premium" gaming products will continue to prioritize rainbow colored bling over everything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wat
like this
For what its worth, really happy with my Gigabyte M27Q. 2560x1440 165hz good color / contrast. Much better then my QHD Acer. Paid $299 for it, but saw it on black friday around $269.

I find Samsung, LG and Dell to have the better monitors. Idk why you would list Sceptre and never heard of Deco. I was given a Sceptre monitor at work and it is nothing but garbage. It had defects in the panel from the box's.

Samsung and LG both make their own panels so they are a good company to start with. It’s not always the case (Samsung and lg do make affordable monitors), but most of the time Samsung and lg will keep the better panels in a production lot and sell the lesser production lot panels to more affordable brands. However high end brands like asus, gigabyte, etc. also can buy the high end lot panels that Samsung and LG use for their own monitors. Just thought I’d add that 2 cents

I'm rocking an Alienware 27"1440P 240hz for a year now and have nothing to complain. Amazing panel with gsync ultimate and amazing color accuracy.

Been happy with my LG ultra gear 4k but i have only owned it about 6 months i can say asus and Aoc have been good for me in the past 5+ years on each without any issues.

From my experience LG makes good monitors, my 32" 144hz monitor has been great these past couple of years. I also have an older HP Omen 32" that's only 75hz but its been very reliable too, no problems with either of them.

Whatever you do, do NOT get a Razer Raptor monitor. They are absolute garbage and expensive to boot.
Basically why I would not buy it. Staying away from Razer because their quality has been poor. Several years ago I was buying a new mouse every year.

Edit: Had good luck with samsung, acer, and HP.

Whatever you do, do NOT get a Razer Raptor monitor. They are absolute garbage and expensive to boot.
Agreed, Razer products are shit. My Razer mouse started having double clicking issues (second one) & the keyboard palm rest started peeling after just a year of use. Plus, using their products are annoying as shit if you want their RGB features, they constantly ask you for updates. WHY DO I HAVE TO REGISTER MY PRODUCT FOR THE FEATURES TO WORK?! They can also have ill effects on your performance too. I remember getting low framerates in DOOM2016 and couldn't figure out why, it was the Razer software that was causing it, as soon as I turned it off, the game played at full speed.

Well, i'm using this one https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/34gn850-b but for this speed/resolution your GPU is on the weak side.

I find it realy hard to choose a monitor because they all have their pro's and cons and it's up to you what you can live with.
I'd second this LG display, it's the same one I run: (older pic, but there she is)
20201118_174517.jpg
Owned it right around 1 year or so and it really does check almost all my boxes.

Pro's:
IPS Panel (coming from a Dell S2716DGR, it's a world of difference)
20201103_183817.jpg
165hz ("OC'd" from the factory control panel on the display)
G-Sync Compatible (40-45hz base, can't recall which)
3440x1440 (step up from 2560x1440)
Price (I picked this up for ~$850, and I do feel for the price this monitor does check a lot of great boxes)

Cons:
Weak HDR (HDR400 rated if I recall correctly. To get the HDR1000+ displays, it was 2-3x the cost, G-Sync Ultimate territory)
G-Sync range (I list it here as a con too, but know this going in. CP2077 is really the only game I've played that takes me out of G-Sync range with my 3080, in those CPU bottleknecked areas with RT and all that jazz enabled)

If this helps, I've successfully convinced a buddy of mine and a co-working to pick up this same display, and both absolutely loved it. 1 did end up with a pixel stuck green right near the center of the display, but he went through the RMA process and stated it was not a hassle and went well.

EDIT: just throwing this out there too, there is a Display's area: https://hardforum.com/forums/displays.78/

Plenty of great discussion and recommendations in there.

Last edited:
The LG 4k tv I got is pretty okay, 100% better than the buggy, slow Samsung I have. The $30 HP monitor I got was okay, although about what you would expect for the price, the color and features aren't terrible.

I've used this HP ZR24w and when I retired it it had over 10,000 hours on it. Brightness had to be set all the way down to 10 when I first got it. Only moved it to 30 toward the end of my use of it. Kick butt monitor for the time. I've been using my Dell 43" Dell P4317Q after that.

With that being said, and as many others have mentioned, you have to look at models within said brands because, for example, HP had $2-3000 monitors that were kick butt and $120 duds. Same with Dell.

In the olden, good-ole-days, NEC and EIZO only had (well mostly) awesome models but now a days who knows.

Back