Which Mobo for E8400 Out of the Box

I wouldn't see any reason for it not to. Check Newegg to look at the board layouts. If they're the same, less a few integrated features (ie. Firewire, extra SATA ports, USB ports, etc.), while maintaining the same power regulation circuitry, then they should OC just as well.

well... to be honest im more worried about all the issues people have reported with it (dead boards after a bios flash, lots of SATA HD probles, mainly with WD (my 4 hard drives are WD :( ), etc...

well... to be honest im more worried about all the issues people have reported with it (dead boards after a bios flash, lots of SATA HD probles, mainly with WD (my 4 hard drives are WD :( ), etc...

Did you get this board yet? If not, there are plenty of comparable boards out there if you don't need such a feature rich motherboard. I was considering going Asus a while back, since purchasing all of the cards for extra SATA (which I did) and firewire do take up slots and money wise amounts to the same. But I found that smaller board MFGs like Gigabyte, DFI are also putting out boards for great prices.

Did you get this board yet? If not, there are plenty of comparable boards out there if you don't need such a feature rich motherboard. I was considering going Asus a while back, since purchasing all of the cards for extra SATA (which I did) and firewire do take up slots and money wise amounts to the same. But I found that smaller board MFGs like Gigabyte, DFI are also putting out boards for great prices.

I have not... yet. I am for sure ordering one today... but yeah, I kinda do need all the extras.

Double LAN - check
Wifi - Check
6+ SATA - check
eSATA on IO plate - check

AFAIK, Gigabyte and DFI do not offer WiFi on their boards.. and in DFI's case, no eSATA either?

I have not... yet. I am for sure ordering one today... but yeah, I kinda do need all the extras.

Double LAN - check
Wifi - Check
6+ SATA - check
eSATA on IO plate - check

AFAIK, Gigabyte and DFI do not offer WiFi on their boards.. and in DFI's case, no eSATA either?

You should really consider the Asus P5E motherboards as they're only a few dollars more. I was going to pick that one up and X38s seem to be playing well with the E8400s. As far as wifi goes, you're right about that. You could be adventurous and get a ASROCK board. There are a couple of those that are doing well too. No reports on this forum regarding those yet, but they do have wifi and you could save yourself a buck. I haven't heard of anyone having FSB issues with the E8400. Generally if someone has trouble getting 500FSB x 8, they can still use 450 x 9 and still hit 4GHz. With the Asus you may have issues with SATA and such, but I find that most folks are missing something in the bios.

Why is WiFi a factor? I have a stand-alone Hawking USB2 adapter that outperforms most PCI solutions (by superior antenna alone)...so I would hope this isn't a big factor. I can see eSATA being a small factor.

The reason I say it's a small factor, is b/c eSATA is primarily for external drives - unless you have a small case, then it shouldn't be a significant factor. The only real reason I'd see for eSATA is for SFF/Shuttle users - as anyone with a full-size ATX mobo (hopefully) wouldn't bother with smaller cases. Internal drives would be cheaper anyway. Off-the-shelf eSATA? Definitely carries a premium, and likewise with buying an enclosure with eSATA.

And for anyone buying a mobo for an e8400, I'd shorten that list pretty easily - buy the ones with little to no vdroop.

You should really consider the Asus P5E motherboards as they're only a few dollars more. I was going to pick that one up and X38s seem to be playing well with the E8400s. As far as wifi goes, you're right about that. You could be adventurous and get a ASROCK board. There are a couple of those that are doing well too. No reports on this forum regarding those yet, but they do have wifi and you could save yourself a buck. I haven't heard of anyone having FSB issues with the E8400. Generally if someone has trouble getting 500FSB x 8, they can still use 450 x 9 and still hit 4GHz. With the Asus you may have issues with SATA and such, but I find that most folks are missing something in the bios.

ASUS P5E WS Professional LGA 775 Intel X38
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131236
Looks good except for WiFi.

As for ASROCK? hold me, im scared.

j/k i'd just rather get something built with "quality" materials and a bit of more cooling, even if its passive/show off

Why is WiFi a factor? I have a stand-alone Hawking USB2 adapter that outperforms most PCI solutions (by superior antenna alone)...so I would hope this isn't a big factor. I can see eSATA being a small factor.

The reason I say it's a small factor, is b/c eSATA is primarily for external drives - unless you have a small case, then it shouldn't be a significant factor. The only real reason I'd see for eSATA is for SFF/Shuttle users - as anyone with a full-size ATX mobo (hopefully) wouldn't bother with smaller cases. Internal drives would be cheaper anyway. Off-the-shelf eSATA? Definitely carries a premium, and likewise with buying an enclosure with eSATA.

And for anyone buying a mobo for an e8400, I'd shorten that list pretty easily - buy the ones with little to no vdroop.

Well, I have owned a Linksys PCI wifi card before and notice that the range on it sucks... tried all kinds of antennae position and nothing... I would place my laptop right next to it and the laptop would get all full bars with Excellent signal strength while the Linksys card would be at Very Low.

As far as hard drives go and eSATA, I will have the following: 2x150gb Raptors in Raid 0 for OS / Games / Apps and 2x 160gb WDs (1 for movies, 1 for mp3 and other random stuff) all in a Lian Li PC 61... which has a hard drive cage built for 4-5 drives... but with the raptors generating as much heat as they do, i'd hate to overcrowd it.

Not only that, but since I have a laptop I use often and 3 other, older PCs around the house, I bought an external Vantec HD enclousure with USB / eSATA and I put a 750gb WD which works as my backup / mobile HD (everything goes in here, movies, mp3, etc).

So yeah.. in THEORY i could put that backup 750gb HD in the floppy bay of the lian li, but then it'd be a pain to transfer stuff to my other PCs if need be. Also, I could use USB, but that'd be slower :)

edit:
p.s. what's vdroop? im a nub when it comes to anything newer than socket 939 :p

edit2: i just noticed it was "there to lower the voltage to reduce power input into the chip to 'acceptable levels' under load as per Intels design specsheets. So when a MB manufacturer gets the specs for a new chip they are obliged to follow intels instructions." yet "vDroop is bad for overclockers. If the CPU's voltage drops below a stable point, especially under load, it's gonna crash. At stock it's fine, it probably is there to lower load temps."

newegg doesnt list vdroop specs tho :(

Well the few mobos off the top of my head are the high-end ones.

Specifically, either the LT or UT board from DFI (LT P35-T2RS). I believe the high end (deluxe) Asus boards should have vDroop control in BIOS. Other than those two, I'm not as knowledgeable. That's basically the reason I went with my DFI board for the e8400. No vdroop means not having to pump .02-.0X extra voltage during idle. *Note: you can basically mod any board out there to eliminate vdroop...but you gotta be comfortable doing that sort of thing. I'm definitely not heh.

Yeah you have alot of hard drives...probably a good candidate for a Stacker - get 2 additional "4in3's" >> that's 4-6 additional HD space, on top of the included 4in3. Though somebody with an actual Stacker will need to verify my conjecture haha.

Yeah you have alot of hard drives...probably a good candidate for a Stacker - get 2 additional "4in3's" >> that's 4-6 additional HD space, on top of the included 4in3. Though somebody with an actual Stacker will need to verify my conjecture haha.

11-112-025-28.jpg

Can't stack em... above the HD cage is the floppy cage.. and yes, I'll prolly put in a floppy for BIOS / DVD-RW flashes and the once every 2 years use for a floppy drive.

edit: now that i look at it, ill prolly put one of the hard drives on the bottom slot of the floppy cage to give the raptors better airflow in the hard drive cage

edit2: oh you meant Coolermaster Stacker case. thought u meant another HD cage. f that. ugly. and not aluminum. and not as tool free. and i already have the lian li :)

Sorry I'll rephrase what I said.

The Abit IP 35 Pro works with the e8400s OOTB but what may happen is the temps and voltages maybe read wrong which is why its advisable to upgrade to the b09 bios.

I went on motherboardpro.com's live help chat thingy to find out if the ASUS Pk5 Deluxe came with the latest BIOS or worked with the E8400 out of the box... and he said he had no way of checking the BIOS and wasn't sure if it came with the latest one or not.

also:

livechat.jpg

I went on motherboardpro.com's live help chat thingy to find out if the ASUS Pk5 Deluxe came with the latest BIOS or worked with the E8400 out of the box... and he said he had no way of checking the BIOS and wasn't sure if it came with the latest one or not.

also:

livechat.jpg

LOL! Cute Girl! You Wish! :D

They could check, but never do. Ethically it would mean opening a box and installing everything, which would make the item used. I believe alot of these motherboards are booting up with the E8400s at least to the point of being able to bios flash. Also, we do have confirmation from at least one Hardforum member that the P5Ks are OOTB compatible.

Which mobo for e8400 out of the box??? I first went with the Asus p5n-sli one, but had trouble with it because you have to update bios and read about the chipset heat sink getting hot and stuff. So I suggest you e8400 people to get this board

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35

TRUST ME. IT'S GOOD!!:D

I wouldn't see any reason for it not to. Check Newegg to look at the board layouts. If they're the same, less a few integrated features (ie. Firewire, extra SATA ports, USB ports, etc.), while maintaining the same power regulation circuitry, then they should OC just as well.

I have the Premium and it is a great board so far,no probs and great overclocker

450 fsb is the highest I gone so far.Im sure there is more will try in the future When I get better ram

This is from Cod4 I think I played with Hooligan the other night.
http://img149.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img149/9915/120337921805f.smil

Update:

We now have the following motherboards working with the E8400 out of the box:

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5K Premium Black Pearl Wifi
Asus P5K Premium
Asus P5E (Don't know if I have the right model # Asus X38 mobo, like the formula)
Asus Maximus Formula
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
ASRock Penryn 1600SLI-110dB :eek: (According to Anandtech - Yorkfield TOO!)
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R 2.1 and 2.0
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.0
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
Asrock 4Core1600P35-WiFi+
EVGA 780i SLI
DFI LP LT P35 T2R
DFI LP UT P35 T2R
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS
MSI P35 Neo2-FR
Abit IP35 Pro (16B09 Bios) Not sure if OOTB yet.
Abit IP35 E (Still Pending Confirmation from Hardforum members for OOTB support.)

The Abit IP35s are booting up with E8400s, so they CAN run out of the box. Probably need a bios update for OC'ing and improved stability.

Finally there's an option for E8400 and SLI albeit 8x8 SLI! Now only if those Asrock boards were readily available. I believe the ASRock Penryn 1600SLI-110dB does have solid caps throughout.

Keep up with the hard work in reporting findings everyone. Thanks!

If someone wants to send me an E8400 to play with I'll be happy to test it in my E. :D

Which mobo for e8400 out of the box??? I first went with the Asus p5n-sli one, but had trouble with it because you have to update bios and read about the chipset heat sink getting hot and stuff. So I suggest you e8400 people to get this board

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35

TRUST ME. IT'S GOOD!!:D

DS3R. Not just good, but very good. Definitely do a BIOS flash at boot up though. Sounds like an upgrade to e8400 is a little tricky, as i've been reading posts here and there about fried e8400's.

DS3R also has eSATA.

DS3R. Not just good, but very good. Definitely do a BIOS flash at boot up though. Sounds like an upgrade to e8400 is a little tricky, as i've been reading posts here and there about fried e8400's.

DS3R also has eSATA.

Wait, what do you mean fried e8400s? You mean people overclocking their CPUS yes on this board? I'm not the type that likes to overclock so yeah. Checkhed the flash at boot up and yes it is e8400 3.0 6mb l2 cache. everything seems fine right now.

Update:

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5K Premium
Asus P5E (Don't know if I have the right model # Asus X38 mobo, like the formula)
Asus Maximus Formula
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
ASRock Penryn 1600SLI-110dB :eek: (According to Anandtech - Yorkfield TOO!)
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
EVGA 780i SLI
DFI LP LT P35 T2R
DFI LP UT P35 T2R
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS
MSI P35 Neo2-FR
Abit IP35 E (Still Pending Confirmation from Hardforum members for OOTB support.)

The Abit IP35s are booting up with E8400s, so they CAN run out of the box. Probably need a bios update for OC'ing and improved stability.

Finally there's an option for E8400 and SLI albeit 8x8 SLI! Now only if those Asrock boards were readily available. I believe the ASRock Penryn 1600SLI-110dB does have solid caps throughout.

eVGA 680i's will run it with a P31 BIOS or later (P32 is current).....

Recently put in a E8400 into a IP35-E and it works fine OOTB. Temperature readings seem to be consistent (36-38 Idle, 46 Load @ Stock).

E8400 in my GA-EP35C-DS3R also worked fine without a bios update. F2 was the bios version.

Update:

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5K Premium
Asus Maximus Formula
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
ASRock Penryn 1600SLI-110dB (According to Anandtech - Yorkfield TOO!)
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R (DDR3! Nice! Expensive, but Nice!)
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
EVGA 780i SLI
EVGA 680i P31 Bios or Later (OOTB?)
DFI LP LT P35 T2R
DFI LP UT P35 T2R
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS
MSI P35 Neo2-FR
Abit IP35 E

For those who own the DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS.

If you are experiencing slight incompatibility or need high volts to OC with the October shipping bios, update to the latest december 2007 bios from DFI. I was able to drop my VCore and Chipset Voltage with the new bios. I kept my OC the same with the E8400, and with the original shipping bios I had to use 1.5 on the northbridge to run 450x9. I'm at 1.45 on the northbridge and running 500x8 stable with 2x2GB Ram 1:1.

Why was the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P not added? Someone mentioned several pages back that it worked great.

Thats the one I ordered also.

Why was the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P not added? Someone mentioned several pages back that it worked great.

Thats the one I ordered also.

Sorry about that. Too many model numbers that are similar. Thanks for the reminder though. How do you like that board?

Update:

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5K Premium
Asus P5E
Asus Maximus Formula
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
ASRock Penryn 1600SLI-110dB (According to Anandtech - Yorkfield TOO!)
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
EVGA 780i SLI
EVGA 680i P31 Bios or Later (OOTB?)
DFI LP LT P35 T2R
DFI LP UT P35 T2R
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS
MSI P35 Neo2-FR
Abit IP35 E

Flexion,

If you're keeping a running list, may I suggest you edit your original post every time you make an addition/change? Since you're already doing the hard work, might as well make it easy for people to keep up with the most current list.

Thanks for starting this thread. It'll come in handy for everybody looking to upgrade to an E8400, including hopefully me.

Was wondering about E8400 and Intel Mobos like DX38BT

we need a Q9450 list ...

ps . firas should start one , once the processor is out :)

I noticed the EVGA 780i board was listed. I think the XFX 780i should also be added to the list. I'm under the impression they both run 45nm out of the box. Anyone confirm this? (what BIOS exactly?)

- Joey

I agree with the xfx board being listed, also my opinion overall is that all of those boards listed are great boards to go with. You cant go wrong with any of them for your needs. Now with all the nvidia chipset bashing I say if you need or want SLI then go with that route, if you don't or do not plan to do SLI that then go intel... simple as that.

I agree with the xfx board being listed, also my opinion overall is that all of those boards listed are great boards to go with. You cant go wrong with any of them for your needs. Now with all the nvidia chipset bashing I say if you need or want SLI then go with that route, if you don't or do not plan to do SLI that then go intel... simple as that.

I agree. I think from the endless hours of research I've conducted have included all those boards listed and the few that aren't (ex. XFX 780i) and they are all solid performers. Yes they all have pro's and con's, but nothing will ever be perfect. Though I think all listed boards are proven and a solid choice compared to others not listed.

If you're going SLI, stick with XFX or EVGA. If you're not going SLI, Intel is your best bet, the P35 or X38, unless you have endless amounts of cash and want to use DDR3 (wait for X48 or P45).

But anyway, get that XFX 780i listed and I think the BIOS version should be noted.

Just my opinion,
- Joey

Glad someone agrees with me on that... as for me right now I am trying to decide if I want to keep SLI or not... I dont really have a huge use for it, but its nice to have... what do you think??

Glad someone agrees with me on that... as for me right now I am trying to decide if I want to keep SLI or not... I dont really have a huge use for it, but its nice to have... what do you think??

I'm still pretty new and catching up with the new technology (been out of the game for a few years thanks to the military and my personal life), but from my countless hours of research my agreement with you is a confident statement and opinion.

But anyway, as for your question, I just picked an 780i board this morning, so I'm a bit biased, but if SLI honestly doesn't appeal to your needs or desires, then don't get it. I've wanted the money for SLI for so many years, but I never had the chance until now. I put SLI to the side, but when it came down to it, I opted for it. Only time will tell if my decision was smart or not, but what is done is done.

Honestly, I'm sure SLI is overkill, but I just don't like the Intel boards, they just don't appeal to me, and as mentioned I've wanted SLI for a very long time. I also like the ability to expand and I think SLI provides plenty of future proofing for the next few years over the Intel chipsets. Especially when gaming is concerned.

EDIT:// "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!" --> Overkill is not always a bad thing!

- Joey

haha i like what you say... yeah I will probably just stick it out to see what comes out in the next few weeks.

Flexion,

If you're keeping a running list, may I suggest you edit your original post every time you make an addition/change? Since you're already doing the hard work, might as well make it easy for people to keep up with the most current list.

Thanks for starting this thread. It'll come in handy for everybody looking to upgrade to an E8400, including hopefully me.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm going to put an updated list on the first page then.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm going to put an updated list on the first page then.

Sounds like a good idea. The very first post is a proper spot for it. Then add a note to the effect of "last updated x/x/xx" every time a new addition is made. Maybe even highlight the new additions or something...

I like this thread,
- Joey

As for the XFX 780i being unconfirmed, if you look at the spec's, found here; http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product...FX+nForce+780i&productConfigurationId=1743832

It mentions, and I quote;

Supported CPUs:
Intel Penryn, Core 2 Extreme, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, Pentium

Last time I checked, Intel Penryn = 45nm processor, including the Wolfdale;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2#Penryn

+ there are several other sources stating full compatibility with the 45nm E8400.

- Joey

I can comfirm the xfx 780i is E8400 ready out of the box. (See the sig!) Oh and all reference boards on the 780i series will out of the box as well.

Back