Which Mobo for E8400 Out of the Box

Has anyone tried the DFI LP LT X38-T2R ???

I'm torn between this and the maximus formula..

To those who already have the e8400's and mobo's up and running, are there any that you would highly suggest? I'm not worried about price, i want OC options and stability..

Also what air cooler would you guys suggest for the e8400.. i was looking at the ninja rev b, and tuniq tower 120..

I'm real happy with the Gigabyte P35-DS4. And you can't go wrong with a Thermalright Ultra-120 (or Extreme).

Saw the e8400 at Frys tonight and couldnt resist the chance to play with it on my Abit IP35 Pro. Note the temps with an overclock of 450x9: so does it mean Abit is fixed? not quite fixed but looks promising. Bios is Beta 16 09 You be the judge.

Saw the e8400 at Frys tonight and couldnt resist the chance to play with it on my Abit IP35 Pro. Note the temps with an overclock of 450x9: so does it mean Abit is fixed? not quite fixed but looks promising. Bios is Beta 16 09 You be the judge.

What kind of cooling is that? No way are those accurate with that voltage under air.

What kind of cooling is that? No way are those accurate with that voltage under air.

Idle on Air but I think its more accurate than core temps given my ambient is 18c. According to people at XS its the core temps that are screwed up on most boards.

This chip is going back tomorrow regardless just wanted to play around with it. With so many reports of degradation from several boards I checked out past few days I think the Wolfdale is a bit of a disappointment as far as overclocking goes. Q6600 > wolfdales imo.

Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G (cheapo $80 board with no raid) works with the 8400 out of the box. Using it as my backup board since I have to RMA my DS4.

I was considering the IP35Pro. It is well priced and a great OC'er. But I went onto the Abit forums and there is one person having issues. Could be a noob though.

But, I don't have any LGA775 procs. lying around to do a bios flash with and I've got that severe upgrade itch. (Upgrading from Opty 170 and NF4 combo)

Right now I'm looking at the Gigabyte P35-DS3R mobo, cuz it's cheap and I don't need crossfire support, but need the PCI slots (raid controllers and discreet sound).

So because 1 person out of how many has issues you wont get an ip35?

ip35 dont need a flash to support the new 8*** series as far as i have read

So because 1 person out of how many has issues you wont get an ip35?

ip35 dont need a flash to support the new 8*** series as far as i have read

I've been reading around and the temperature issue is a hit or miss not only with the IP35 series but also some other motherboards as well (other brands). The IP35 series runs the chip fine with no problem with a BIOS update (some say the temperature readings are fixed). According to the Abit forums they are working on BIOS's for the IP35-E and IP35 Pro for 100% support of the E8000 series.

My friend just popped his E8400 that he got from Microcenter ($180.00) into his IP35-E he got from Newegg ($60.00) and they both run fine. Not only that but he also overclocked it to 3.6GHz on air 100% stable and will push it further once the BIOS update is released.

Update:

We now have the following motherboards working with the E8400:

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5E (Don't know if I have the right model # Asus X38 mobo, like the formula)
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R 2.1 and 2.0
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.0
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
Asrock 4Core1600P35-WiFi+
EVGA 780i SLI
DFI LP LT P35 T2R
DFI LP UT P35 T2R
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS
MSI P35 Neo2-FR

Abit IP35 Series (Pro, E) are booting up, but are awaiting bios updates.

Keep up with the hard work in reporting findings everyone. Thanks!

I can't confirm this, but I would be surprised if the latest Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 didn't work too. It's the newer version of the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 + their Dynamic Energy Saver (DES) stuff.

Robert

I can't confirm this, but I would be surprised if the latest Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 didn't work too. It's the newer version of the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 + their Dynamic Energy Saver (DES) stuff.

Robert

I also believe that the DES versions of the motherboards are compatible, as they're newer revisions.

Moreover, I'm sure that there are many more motherboards compatible that aren't on this list yet. If I've missed anything, please post your findings and let me know.

So far, the list we've compiled is of successful e8400 installs by hardforum members and their motherboards/cpu combinations.

I got my IP35 pro and everything booted just fine unfortunately it seems I got the one IP35 motherboard and E8400 in existence that doesn't overclock for shit. I have 4 gigs of Mushkin black label DDR2 1066 that runs stable at 1050 (2.25 volts) but no matter what I do I can't get my FSB above 360MHz (even with my RAM at 800MHz) without getting a blue screen when I boot into windows.

The thing that pisses me off the most is I don't know if it's the RAM, CPU or Motherboard and my dumbass forgot to buy a floppy drive and I'm completely broke for the next two weeks so I can't run MEMtest.

P.S. Should I start a new thread asking for help and if so what kind of info would you guys need to supply that help?

I've heard reports that the current bios for the IP35 Pro does not handle voltage correctly on the E8400 when you overclock.

That might be the cause of the problem.

Grifter 66,

I highly doubt that you're as unlucky as you think regarding the IP35Pro and E8400. I WAS booting a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R at stock (3.0GHz) and only able to OC within windows to 4.05GHz (stable and doing all kinds of tests). If I OC'd even 1 MHz in the FSB my Gigabyte would do a constant cold reboot cycle. Until I powered down manually through the PSU.

My chip and the Gigabyte board could OC, but something else was funny with regards to my current board. I could only get my DFI Lanparty DK P35 T2RS to boot and run at (2.0GHz) stable from a cold boot. That freaked me out, as I was worried that something happend to the chip.

I later thought I had a crappy PSU. I switched my Power Supply to a really strong one (700W single 12V rail) and still had the same problem. Until I found a funny setting in the DFI bios which allows me to initially start the chip at 200FSB and later posts/runs the chip at 450FSB. I'm now happy at 4.05GHz as confirmed by CPUz, 3Dmark and other apps. Also, my benchies and game performance are in line with 4.05GHz as well. I am running a 10/31 bios from DFI :eek: since I'm afraid to change anything in my system since it's running the way I want it to.

There probably are some bios tweaks that Abit has to incorporate to get the E8400 to behave normally on their boards. Do you know anyone who can let you drop their CPU into your board? You'd probably have a clearer picture of what's going on in your system.

PK5 Premium WiFi Black Pearl Edition
Booted with bios 202 Then I flashed to 504 With 1gb usb and all is well.
Had to install board drivers from cd so the Lan and wifi worked.
Had Vista Basic already installed.
3.6 with Cheap 4x1024 Aeneon 667 ram @ 800mgz. On air
So far love it
Have to figure out how to unlink ram tho Then can get 4.0 I'm sure
Ok Had to try so I set FSB@445 and whammo 4.02 everything on auto
So far no problems Temps go 51-55 under load
Zalman 9500
hard set the 9x445 ram @890 from 667
Then did the speedstep thing and it goes 6x400 to 9x445 when under load.Pretty cool really.
Still tweaking Went from 11300 in 3dmark06 with E6750 8800gtx to 12820 @9x445 with E8400

Update:

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5K Premium Wifi Edition 2.02 Bios and above
Asus P5E (Don't know if I have the right model # Asus X38 mobo, like the formula)
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
EVGA 780i SLI
DFI LP LT P35 T2R
DFI LP UT P35 T2R
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS
MSI P35 Neo2-FR

I got my IP35 pro and everything booted just fine unfortunately it seems I got the one IP35 motherboard and E8400 in existence that doesn't overclock for shit. I have 4 gigs of Mushkin black label DDR2 1066 that runs stable at 1050 (2.25 volts) but no matter what I do I can't get my FSB above 360MHz (even with my RAM at 800MHz) without getting a blue screen when I boot into windows.

The thing that pisses me off the most is I don't know if it's the RAM, CPU or Motherboard and my dumbass forgot to buy a floppy drive and I'm completely broke for the next two weeks so I can't run MEMtest.

P.S. Should I start a new thread asking for help and if so what kind of info would you guys need to supply that help?

You don't need a floppy drive if you have a USB flash drive, just google "Boot from a USB flash drive", you need to download an HP Tool and then select it in BIOS and then you can update your BIOS with it

What BIOS are you currently running?

Just wanted to say thanks for the great thread. I picked up a P5E-VM HDMI board for my new e8400 build. Worked like a charm. I would highly recommend this board to anyone looking for a mATX solution. Very stable, good over clocker. Thanks again for the great thread!

OK, I just updated my BIOS to 1.6 Beta 9 and everything is now running beautifully at 3.78GHz CPU and DDR2 1008. As soon as I get a good after market cooler (think I'm gonna go with the Thermaltake Big Typhoon) I'll bump it up to 4GHz and DDR2 1080.

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P rev 2.1 out of the box! With F1 BIOS; flashed to F2 (no major change). Stock voltage, no OC.

Booted fine with 8 gigs of G.Skill F2-8000CL5DPQ (4 X 2G sticks) under Vista Ult 64. Defaulted to 1.8 volts DDR2 800; upped voltage to 2.1 (alright 2.068 something actually) and now reading DDR2 1000 at stock SPD 5 5 5 15.

Now off to play with OC!

Forgot: Purchased at New Egg on Feb 8th (all of the above hardware).

Asus Maximus Formula w/ the 8400 - I had to flash the bios with the ez flash tool - my very first build and everythings running great - time to oc myself. I highly recomend the Asus Maximus Formula.

Update:

Asus P5K-E
Asus Maximus Formula
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
EVGA 780i SLI
DFI LP LT P35 T2R
DFI LP UT P35 T2R
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS
MSI P35 Neo2-FR

Update:

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5K Premium Black Pearl Wifi
Asus Maximus Formula
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
EVGA 780i SLI
DFI LP LT P35 T2R
DFI LP UT P35 T2R
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS
MSI P35 Neo2-FR

I would appreciate it if anyone Can officially tell me weither there E8400 Worked with the P5k Deluxe With Latest BIOS 0705. so far i have not read any reviews of this combo, but would appreciate some personal reference. I read lotz of problems with E8400 heat concern, but since im not really an overclocker, I dont think it would be a problem(i.e 3.0 Ghz is a blast for me:cool:)

AND Asus has informed that i would need the 0705 BIOS for the 45nm processors, but i would prefer to get some personal notes before i mess something up.

I really dont wanna go through the hassle of trial n error, but out of all the forums i havent seen any news on this combo, If noone wants to type , at least post a link to where it is or something lol. If not im going for the E6750 (Same Price, 1333 FSB) :confused:

... out of all the forums i havent seen any news on this combo, If noone wants to type , at least post a link to where it is or something...

No shit. I found dozens of hits on Google, but every single damn one was asking a similar question and not a single damn one got a solid answer. It's like no one has a clue or simple refuse to answer the question.

- Joey

Im with you on that Panzerkrieg13, I been all over the search engines, and no site wants to give you a damn Solid answer....I gotz 1 week to build my rig and already im frustrated....

Just wanna pipe in Abit IP35 Pro with 16b09 works fine.

Anything previous and temps maybe all over the board. Got mine running at 4.2 @ 45 idle, 55 gaming, 70 load ; Using Ultra 120

Update:

We now have the following motherboards working with the E8400 out of the box:

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5K Premium Black Pearl Wifi
Asus Maximus Formula
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
EVGA 780i SLI
DFI LP LT P35 T2R
DFI LP UT P35 T2R
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS
MSI P35 Neo2-FR
Abit IP35 Pro (16B09 Bios) Not sure if OOTB yet.
Abit IP35 E (Still Pending Confirmation from Hardforum members for OOTB support.)

The Abit IP35s are booting up with E8400s, so they CAN run out of the box. Probably need a bios update for OC'ing and improved stability.

I hope the PK5 Premium OC's as well as the Deluxe!

I wouldn't see any reason for it not to. Check Newegg to look at the board layouts. If they're the same, less a few integrated features (ie. Firewire, extra SATA ports, USB ports, etc.), while maintaining the same power regulation circuitry, then they should OC just as well.

Back