Which Mobo for E8400 Out of the Box

Yeah I am eagerly wanting to find out what the most bang for the buck 8400 mobo is after being steared away from the 780i boards

If you don't SLI or crossfire, then the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R is a great bang for the buck mobo. Others are doing fine with it, but there are a couple of threads dedicated to problems with this board. I liked this board, because it has 8 SATA ports and I RAID.

If you don't raid a Hardforum member is happy using this one: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L with an E8400, it's in the $80 price range!

I just picked up a DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS also a single PCIe board, I've read that it supports the E8400, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Since this processor came out 10 days ago, we're all guinea pigs at the moment. Be brave and pick up a board and report your findings. ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...&Description=ASUS+P5K-E+ATX+Intel+Motherboard

Look at the specs AND the box / packaging.

Like the Asus P5K-E says it on the box.. "45nm support"
and I know for sure it has out of box support as I popped an e8400
in to one last night & it booted right up.

One tip, select "Set to defaults/optimized settings" or whatever then start tweaking. I was having issues until I did that. Once I did that everything was fine, and I left the machine Priming (Orthos) at 3.9Ghz this morning.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...&Description=ASUS+P5K-E+ATX+Intel+Motherboard

Look at the specs AND the box / packaging.

Like the Asus P5K-E says it on the box.. "45nm support"
and I know for sure it has out of box support as I popped an e8400
in to one last night & it booted right up.

One tip, select "Set to defaults/optimized settings" or whatever then start tweaking. I was having issues until I did that. Once I did that everything was fine, and I left the machine Priming (Orthos) at 3.9Ghz this morning.

Thanks for letting us know. I already ordered the DFI board though, I don't know if I should start organizing this thread and put supported motherboards on the top of this thread.

So far we have for out of the box support:

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5E (Don't know if I have the right model # Asus X38 mobo, like the formula)
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R and DS3L
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
Asrock 4Core1600P35-WiFi+

Confirmed by Hardforum members.

DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS (Pending my install, will report findings)

Anyone else following this thread that has the balls, please go out and get a motherboard and try it out! Also, to the ones who posted info about support, keep up the [H]ard work!

P.S. It may be a good idea to start indicating where we got the motherboards too.

Another confirmed OOTB with E8400 - EVGA nForce 780i SLI.

Setting it up now, downloading drivers and patches.

I got a P5K-E from mwave and it doesn't support the E8400 out of box even though it said "45nm support" on the box. Gotto RMA the board now since I don't know anyone with a socket 775 processor.

I got a P5K-E from mwave and it doesn't support the E8400 out of box even though it said "45nm support" on the box. Gotto RMA the board now since I don't know anyone with a socket 775 processor.
With the P5K-E, I think it's the luck of the draw. Some receive boards with a newer bios. Others like yourself receive boards with an older bios.

dfi lp ut p35 confirmed ootb with 12/24 bios. also works with 11/07 bios. so the lp lt will be fine also. lp ut and 8400 from newegg.

I've had an Abit IP35 Pro and a Gigabyte P35-DS4 and both supported the 8400 out of the box. Abit had some BIOS issues (temp reading, as reported everywhere) but recognized and booted. Gigabyte worked great, rev 2.1 on that one.

Guys help me out here...I need a board. p35 or p38 I am confused as to which to get.
Right now what I have is case, and an 8800GT ...what a start LOL
Yes I want 8800 SLI but I can forget that I guess.

I need memory and cpu cooler to get me to around 4G on oc
Best ps for the money. I don't want a $300 pc power.

I do NOT want another Asus board this p5b has given me nothing but grief since I built the system.

Update:

Well, apparently I've blundered and my PSU really is the culprit. I figured a relatively new PSU with EPS2 and SLI support should handle all the parts, since I don't SLI. I have 550 Watt OCZ Powerstream, and after installing the LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS (with solid caps) I've got a reset bug, just like on the GA P35 DS3R, but worse. This is a power hungry board.

However, the DFI board is resetting, like the PSU can't handle the power draw. The Gigabyte will cold reboot everytime I change any OC settings in the bios. The Gigabyte will boot into windows with all of my parts installed and video card and at least play games. It'll also OC the E8400 to 4.05GHz within windows using my weak PSU. The DFI will not even boot into windows at stock on my current setup with all HDDs unplugged.

BTW. The Gigabyte Marketing hype about efficiency is true! I almost regret RMA'ing the Gigabyte board, because it has 2 extra USB ports on the back and 2 more SATA ports. Sorry Gigabyte! Anyone experiencing a cold reboot with this board after Bios, should investigate their PSU.

As for the DFI. I have only one 8800GT and this sucker needs one of those 8pin cpu power plugs (optional in manual) and my 550 watt can't take it. Probably going to get an 850 watt to eliminate it as a problem. Sorry no review for the new DFI yet but there's another forum member who got one and hopefully his results will be fruitful.

Update:

Well, apparently I've blundered and my PSU really is the culprit. I figured a relatively new PSU with EPS2 and SLI support should handle all the parts, since I don't SLI. I have 550 Watt OCZ Powerstream, and after installing the LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS (with solid caps) I've got a reset bug, just like on the GA P35 DS3R, but worse. This is a power hungry board.

However, the DFI board is resetting, like the PSU can't handle the power draw. The Gigabyte will cold reboot everytime I change any OC settings in the bios. The Gigabyte will boot into windows with all of my parts installed and video card and at least play games. It'll also OC the E8400 to 4.05GHz within windows using my weak PSU. The DFI will not even boot into windows at stock on my current setup with all HDDs unplugged.

BTW. The Gigabyte Marketing hype about efficiency is true! I almost regret RMA'ing the Gigabyte board, because it has 2 extra USB ports on the back and 2 more SATA ports. Sorry Gigabyte! Anyone experiencing a cold reboot with this board after Bios, should investigate their PSU.

As for the DFI. I have only one 8800GT and this sucker needs one of those 8pin cpu power plugs (optional in manual) and my 550 watt can't take it. Probably going to get an 850 watt to eliminate it as a problem. Sorry no review for the new DFI yet but there's another forum member who got one and hopefully his results will be fruitful.

There is no way you need a 850W PSU for an 8800GT an E8400 and a P35 board, there is something else wrong with your system.

Not to mention the OCZ PSU's have horrible ripple which is most likely the culprit, not that the wattage can't handle it.

I've got a [email protected], an 8800GT, 4GB RAM and 4 hard drives and my 520W Corsair handles it just fine. I'd be surprised if at load I even topped 400W.

My E8400 posted fine on my GA-EP35C-DS3R out of the box with G.Skill DDR2-800 RAM. Also easily flashed the bios to f2m with the swell update bios feature through a USB flash drive. So far so good.

Now just waiting for the HDD and OS to arrive for full testing.

Update:

Testing with a Kill-A-Watt, my Gigabyte DS3L with E8400 @ 3.6GHz and 8800GT does not exceed 250W at load, so wattage shouldn't be an issue.

From what I've been able to tell, the cold reboot problem on the Gigabyte boards is related to (1) poor quality power supplies and (2) memory that needs more 2.0V.

With a good power supply and 1.8V memory (like G-Skill DDR2-800 or DDR2-1000), you should not experience cold boot issues on Gigabyte mainboards.

Testing with a Kill-A-Watt, my Gigabyte DS3L with E8400 @ 3.6GHz and 8800GT does not exceed 250W at load, so wattage shouldn't be an issue.

From what I've been able to tell, the cold reboot problem on the Gigabyte boards is related to (1) poor quality power supplies and (2) memory that needs more 2.0V.

With a good power supply and 1.8V memory (like G-Skill DDR2-800 or DDR2-1000), you should not experience cold boot issues on Gigabyte mainboards.

My G-Skill 2x2GB requires 2.1V and to be honest, just before I decided to do the upgrade, my OCZ made a little squeaking sound that was prolonged one evening. I once had an Opteron 170 at 2.7GHz, 8800GT, Swiftech WC Apex 220, and 8 HDDs, some in Raid Some not, with 2GB of DDR1 at 2.7V.

I had no idea the E8400 and DFI with an air cooler and Raid 0 Array of 3 Raptors, along with my 8800GT would cause the board to stop booting. I know it's the PSU, because I have to hold the Power button down 2-3 times, before it actually starts on the DFI and then it does while booting Windows. The PSU cuts off like it's overloaded, no boot errors, no BSOD.

IMHO, looking at the board layout and design the DFI really does eat up quite a bit more power vs. the Gigabyte. Also that Squeling episode on the OCZ PSU may mean that I had a major CAP die within the PSU. Funny how it still ran the Opteron system with Watercooling No Prob. What's really weird is how the Gigabyte would OC to 4.05GHz in windows via Powertune software included with the board.

There is no way you need a 850W PSU for an 8800GT an E8400 and a P35 board, there is something else wrong with your system.

Not to mention the OCZ PSU's have horrible ripple which is most likely the culprit, not that the wattage can't handle it.

I didn't hear ya before about the PSU, but I hear ya now loud and clear. This PSU lasted me a good 4 years, so I can't "Powerswap" anymore. Probably going to can it and retire it to the electro-junkyard. It was a good PSU for the Opteron and I like how the rails are adjustable.

I just ordered a Silverstone DA700, since Silverstones have really low power ripple (lower than PCP&C) and a single 12V rail. Power shouldn't be an issue, and I went with a bigger one, because I may decide to do something crazy with my rig again.

I wanted a cheap board, CPU and RAM which I got, but this upgrade is getting costly now with the new PSU. I was going to save a buck and get the PC Power and Cooling Silent 750Watt PSU, Xfire edition at Newegg for $160, cuz it basically has the same specs but is $30 bucks cheaper after shipping vs. the Silverstone, but the cable management and fan location was the deciding factor for me.

Also, I don't know, but I've got this suspicious feeling that Intel is up to it's old Presshot tricks with the E8400. That will all unfold in the weeks to come. Don't strike what I'm saying down just yet, the presshots were the last of P4 tech and the E8400s are the last of core2duo tech, also both have larger caches and look better on paper. See the parallel?

Further proof is how an E6750 at 4GHz (which isn't by all means easy to do) actually runs cooler than an E8400 in some cases. (Northwood vs. Presshot?)

just posting that my 8400 worked out of the box with Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R rev2.0 as a double confirmation of what was posted above

So far we have out of the box support for E8400s on:

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5E (Don't know if I have the right model # Asus X38 mobo, like the formula)
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R 2.1 and 2.0
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
EVGA 780i SLI

DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS (Still pending my successful install, will boot and post, still not stability tested yet.)

For those interested this board at Newegg is the SOLID CAPS version! (shipped from the NJ warehouse.

So far we have out of the box support for E8400s on:

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
EVGA 780i SLI

DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS (Still pending my successful install, will boot and post, still not stability tested yet.)

and the dfi lp ut p35 t2r, dammit. with 12/24 bios, and older ones with 11/07 bios also. since this is the same mb as the lp lt p35 t2r, but with heatpipes, you can add the lp lt p35 t2r also.

and the dfi lp ut p35 t2r, dammit. with 12/24 bios, and older ones with 11/07 bios also. since this is the same mb as the lp lt p35 t2r, but with heatpipes, you can add the lp lt p35 t2r also.

Umm... We're listing out of the box support. That is for people that don't have older LGA775 chips sitting around to flash bioses with. As was the predicament that I had. There may be some older DFI LP UT P35 T2R boards sitting in inventory that won't boot up with the E8400s.

I set up this thread, for people who are looking to buy new boards and processors, for upgrades, not simply processors. We have people running E8400s on IP35Pro and IP35 as well, but they're waiting for a bios update as well, so I didn't list that one too.

Don't get me wrong, The DFI LP LT P35 T2R and UT version are great boards. Did you get it to run the E8400 out of the box? Sorry for the omission if so.

i have run th e8400 with 2 new lp ut's. one with the 12/24 bios, one with the 11/07 bios. there are no rev designations that i can find on the boards, so boards with the 11/07 bios are just older stock.

i have run th e8400 with 2 new lp ut's. one with the 12/24 bios, one with the 11/07 bios. there are no rev designations that i can find on the boards, so boards with the 11/07 bios are just older stock.

Thanks Vanilla Guerilla:

We now have out of the box support for E8400s on:

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
EVGA 780i SLI
DFI LP LT P35 T2R
DFI LP UT P35 T2R

If anyone is running a newly purchased board with an E8400 successfully, please post your results to this thread. Thanks!

My MSI P35 Neo2-FR shipped with the 1.6 bios which out of the box supported my E8400.

No issues with the install at all outside of my memory defaulting to to high a frequency, which was fine since it runs 1100mhz fine, I jut needed to up the voltage to 2.1v.

Super easy overclock with the MSI. 4.05Ghz at 1.33v, 1:1 memory ratio with 4-4-4-10 timings.

Even my gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2 booted fine with an old bios F1 (no rtatio 0.5x however):
managed to oc a little:
400.jpg

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
EVGA 780i SLI
DFI LP LT P35 T2R
DFI LP UT P35 T2R
MSI P35 Neo2-FR

DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS (Still pending.)

Any of the recent P5K-E's should support the 8400 out of box. The early revisions might not have. But all of the one's being sold now, should be packaged in a blue box and have full support out of box.

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
EVGA 780i SLI
DFI LP LT P35 T2R
DFI LP UT P35 T2R
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS (Success!)
MSI P35 Neo2-FR

After getting a new PSU and removing my whole setup from my case to be sure that there is no short circuit (I had a funny cold reboot bug with both the GA-P35-DS3R 2.1 and DFI DK-P35-T2RS) I found out that I had nothing wrong with any of my hardware, even that OCZ Powerstream PSU.

For the Gigabyte I had to OC within windows. For the DFI I had to press the power button 4-5 times to get my system to start. So I thought I had an underpowered PSU or some kind of short.

I replaced my old PSU with a 700watt Silverstone DA700 (Single 12V Rail 58A) to make sure the power supply wasn't the culprit.

There's a nice little setting in the DFI bios that allows the user to select the boot frequency. I chose 200 x 9 multi, which would start my computer at 1800MHz. I do have the desired CPU clock at 4.05GHz (450 x 9)

The system posts however at 450 x 9 and CPUID has confirmed that I'm at that speed. Vista boots fast and I do get my selected bios speed.

3dmark and Orthos both run at that speed. I still don't know why I have to do this boot frequency workaround, but all in all, this board does support the E8400 on both XP and Vista 64 Ultimate.

Please keep posting about newly purchased boards and E8400 installs. I'll get some screenies up soon! Meanwhile I've been working on this system for a week and a half and finally have it running.

Ok after three weeks of owning the E8400 I have went through 1) motherboard already BloodIron (which i returned). I was thinking about getting the DFI Dark board but I decided not to. However, I am getting a Gigabyte GA-p35-ds3L tomorrow.

Here is my set up:

cpu: E8400 3.0ghz planning to hit at least 4.0ghz
mobo: Gigabyte GA-p35-DS3L
ram: Crucial Ballistics DDR2-1066 2x1gb. Stock timing 5-5-5-15 I will lower the latency to 4-4-4-12 and drop the speed to DDR2-890 @ 2.2volts
Heatsink: I have several heat sinks I'm going to test, I'll post which one has the lowest score
power supply: thermaltake 500watt

Ok after three weeks of owning the E8400 I have went through 1) motherboard already BloodIron (which i returned). I was thinking about getting the DFI Dark board but I decided not to. However, I am getting a Gigabyte GA-p35-ds3L tomorrow.

Here is my set up:

cpu: E8400 3.0ghz planning to hit at least 4.0ghz
mobo: Gigabyte GA-p35-DS3L
ram: Crucial Ballistics DDR2-1066 2x1gb. Stock timing 5-5-5-15 I will lower the latency to 4-4-4-12 and drop the speed to DDR2-890 @ 2.2volts
Heatsink: I have several heat sinks I'm going to test, I'll post which one has the lowest score
power supply: thermaltake 500watt

What kind of problems were you having with the Blood Iron Board? The Gigabyte boards have fewer settings (which is not a bad thing!) in the bios than the DFIs. But I'm curious as to why you didn't like the Blood Iron. Did the Blood Iron run the E8400 out of the box or did you upgrade a bios to get it to work?

Asus P5K-E
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
EVGA 780i SLI
DFI LP LT P35 T2R
DFI LP UT P35 T2R
MSI P35 Neo2-FR

DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS (Still pending.)

nice list...*shakes fist at Abit arrrrghhh.

What kind of problems were you having with the Blood Iron Board? The Gigabyte boards have fewer settings (which is not a bad thing!) in the bios than the DFIs. But I'm curious as to why you didn't like the Blood Iron. Did the Blood Iron run the E8400 out of the box or did you upgrade a bios to get it to work?

I dont know maybe it was just that specific blood iron. I've read on other forums ocing on the blood iron gave decent results but i had a hard time keeping the blood iron running stable. When I compared my results to others, it was a little short of my expectations.

as long as the gigabyte allows me to increase voltage, set ram timings, increase fsb, raise ram voltage, lock pci fsb at 100mhz and all of that stuff then I'm good. the only thing i need to worry about is cooling the NB a little better. but I have a thermalright hr-05 sitting in my room waiting to get installed onto the new board.

If you read the other forums, a number of people are seeing crashes and reboots with the Blood Iron.

It is possible they don't 100% support the E8400 yet, like Abit. Or they may have issues with certain types of memory, just like virtually every other board. Or they may have some issues with quality control. Impossible to tell at this point.

yeah i dont now whats going on with the blood iron. heard good and bad. but i know for sure I have read enough reviews about the ga-p35-ds3l board running ddr-1066 and e8400 perfectly fine out of the box.

+ i wont feel so bad when a better board comes around a year from now when i need to upgrade to something better. i picked up my board up for 89 bucks. the only issues i've seen with the ga-p35-ds3l are temp readings but i'm sure everyone has to deal with that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't ALL P35 boards support the E8400 (or any 45nm processors, for that matter)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't ALL P35 boards support the E8400 (or any 45nm processors, for that matter)?

no i don't think so. i think the p35 chip set existed before any 45mm came to the market. for instance... if you have an old gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l revision 1 board. you need to update the bios to f8a in order for it to recognize.

Depends on how you word it really or its all relative. Abit ip35pro recognizes it for example but has problems reporting core temp correctly. So I guess you can say it doesnt support it fully.

Back