Which Mobo for E8400 Out of the Box

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Flexion, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Flexion

Flexion [H]ard|Gawd

I'm inclined to agree that the P35s may have some funny issues here and there with the E8400s. I don't see anyone having the cold reboot bugs or startup problems with 65nm chips. However, there are loads of forum threads about incompatibilities beyond temperature probe readings. Serious stuff, like voltage fluctuations, etc.

It's really odd that in order to turn on my system properly, that is without having to press the power button 5 times, that I have to use the "boot frequency" option in the DFI bios and start my computer at 200 x 9. :eek: Granted I have a stable OC at 4.05GHz at post and running in Windows, but it's really strange. I also had issues with my ex-gigabyte board overclocking even 1 MHz in the bios. But I could OC all the way to 4.2GHz, within windows.

2. Forceman

Forceman [H]ardForum Junkie

They should support it, yes, but they may need a BIOS update to suport it correctly. Any board that supports the 1333 FSB should be able to handle the 45nm chips as long as the BIOS does.

3. Luder[PAK9]

Luder[PAK9] [H]ard|Gawd

+1. I'll add that mine shipped with the 1.2 BIOS and supported my E8400 out of the box.

4. kadozer

kadozer [H]ard|Gawd

For all the people saying their motherboard was supported what are your idle and load temps ..both stock and overclocked?

5. killingfield1975

killingfield1975 Gawd

i should get my mobo in today. Gigabyte GA-p35-DS3L

I'll post my stats after i get home and run a few test.

6. JamesL

JamesL Gawd

I know the the ip35-pro's are having trouble with temp readings.. how about the ip35-e?

7. killingfield1975

killingfield1975 Gawd

all of them have temp reading problems.

8. KenF

KenF Limp Gawd

All of the Abit's have issues with the E8x00 CPUs at this time.

9. JamesL

JamesL Gawd

just temp readings?
    If it boots up fine, I don't mind, since I'm not that interested in overclocking

10. KenF

KenF Limp Gawd

There are apparently some voltage issues too which can affect stability.

I'm not sure whether these voltage issues apply at stock, or just when overclocking.

11. DaSnipe

DaSnipe n00b

I just got an abit IP35-E from Newegg and it worked with my E8400 out of the box, even came with the latest Bios 15 which is a Jan 11th 2008 dated bios, so they seem to be of a new revision or shipment from the ones that were giving issues.

It came from the Tennessee warehouse, and it's on sale for 60$ after 30$ MIR again

Link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-127-031

12. kadozer

kadozer [H]ard|Gawd

Bios 15 hmmm Sucks that they dont have this on the Abit website.. Are your temps and voltage a little weird?

13. Vix

Vix [H]Lite

Your best bet, rather than sweat motherboard/CPU compatibility, is to purchase both at the same place and pay the $10 or whatever to have them test it before shipping. It'd probably be the best $10 you spend on that rig.

14. killingfield1975

killingfield1975 Gawd

wow heat sink city

[​IMG]

why can't my mobo look this pretty? oh wait i forgot, i spent only 89 bucks on a gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l that can clock at 4.0ghz

15. KenF

KenF Limp Gawd

You "pay for pretty" when it comes to clothes, furniture, cars, computers, and components.

16. kadozer

kadozer [H]ard|Gawd

Best looking layout Ive seen so far. Real shame if you dont have a window.

17. killingfield1975

killingfield1975 Gawd

i dont pay for pretty, i pay for the BANG! check out my foogly mobo that can clock 4.0

[​IMG]

oh well handles the job well though

18. Lames.

Lames. Gawd

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 (mine was stock F8 BIOS) that supported my 8400 out of the box.

19. biohazard_nz

biohazard_nz Limp Gawd

What FSB can you get? and with what cpu?

20. Cobalt2112

Cobalt2112 [H]ard|Gawd

I live in NJ... never bothered, but can I drive down to NewEgg in NJ and purchase?

21. DaSnipe

DaSnipe n00b

Temps are always weird, but Coretemp is reporting real temps (or at least close to real temps, even the Abit EQ reports 22C 24/7) but voltages are fine.

Btw they should have it on the Abit website, I saw it on the FTP

22. kadozer

kadozer [H]ard|Gawd

Ya I see it now only not sure if it is compatible with the pro version. Also if thats the case above then its the same situation with all the latest beta bios same temp behavior but correct voltage. So nothing new.

23. DaSnipe

DaSnipe n00b

They have newer pro bios on the FTP also, I think if you check the abit forums you can see the beta bios' also for the ip35 pro

24. kadozer

kadozer [H]ard|Gawd

Ya the latest is 16 b09 which came out a week ago same e8400 problems :mad: Which also means same problems for your motherboard. Just so you can see what I'm trying to say here links ---> pro

Non-Pro Ip35

The only page which has beta bios linked for Abit IP35 http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=122393

So the bottom line is none of the ip35 e, regular, pro have full support for e8400 yet.

25. grifter_66

grifter_66 Gawd

Damn it! I don't know why I didn't see this thread earlier (I even did a search) my IP35-Pro and E8400 will be here tomorrow...I am not a happy person.

Should I even try to install it it or should I just send it back and get something else?

26. kadozer

kadozer [H]ard|Gawd

It overclocks as good as any other board out there for the wolfdale... its just that the bios temps voltage readouts are buggy. How confident are you that Abit will release a bios say within a month? Odds are they will but I canceled my e8400 order and I'm just gonna avoid the headaches and hope its all fixed when q9450 comes out.

27. KenF

KenF Limp Gawd

Abit is working to improve E8400 compatibility. They told the motherboard editor at Anandtech that they intend to improve E8400 compatibility with an update released after the Chinese new year.

Anandtech is doing an E8400 motherboard roundup. I believe it is coming on Tuesday (or was it the Tuesday after next?).

28. JamesL

JamesL Gawd

chinese new year was 3 days ago, wasn't it?

29. kadozer

kadozer [H]ard|Gawd

Great news I knew something had to be up.

30. Flexion

Flexion [H]ard|Gawd

Chinese New Year unfortunately isn't a one day holiday! Some companies in asia take 2 weeks off! :eek:

I would sit tight with the Abit, because people are able to boot and get their machines running, if you own one. They're having problems with temperature readings and voltage settings, but they're able to install and run windows. Don't know about OC'ing in the Abits yet, as no one has made any comments. If you haven't opened the box, send it back and get one of the boards on this list:

Asus P5K-E
    Asus P5E (Don't know if I have the right model # Asus X38 mobo, like the formula)
    Asus P5E-VM HDMI
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R 2.1 and 2.0
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
    Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
    Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
    Asrock 4Core1600P35-WiFi+
    EVGA 780i SLI
    DFI LP LT P35 T2R
    DFI LP UT P35 T2R
    DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS
    MSI P35 Neo2-FR

All of these boards are confirmed working by fellow Hardforum members. Personally I did have funny cold reboot issues with a Gigabyte Board and also the DFI Lanparty DK board. But got the DFI working eventually with the E8400 via a strange boot FSB setting in the Bios. I think the Gigabyte Mobos are the best bang for the buck right now. The GA-P35-DS3R has 2 additional SATA ports via Gigabyte's own SATA controller, and has some external SATA ports I think. So if you need RAID and have lots of HDDs, etc, get the Gigabyte. I had no problems reaching 500 FSB with both boards, but as always YMMV. ;)

P.S. The DFI board is stable, solid and well built. The OC'ing options are plentiful, but can be confusing. I'm still researching what settings to use for the memory, because there are too many options to tweak. 4.05GHz for days now and not a single BSOD, running all kinds of stuff.

31. killingfield1975

killingfield1975 Gawd

a;right finally got done setting up my system and i'm running perfectly stable

1:1 ratio

Gigabyte GA-p35-ds3L <---- cheap board performs extermely well. Highly recommended!
    E8400 @ 4.0ghz EASILY!
    Crucial 2x1gb DDR2-1777

32. Lames.

Lames. Gawd

Forgetting GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.0.

33. JamesL

JamesL Gawd

Foxconn Mars too has been reported playing well with the 45nm's.

34. Flexion

Flexion [H]ard|Gawd

Update:

The following motherboards are supporting E8400s out of the box:

Asus P5K-E
    Asus P5E (Don't know if I have the right model # Asus X38 mobo, like the formula)
    Asus P5E-VM HDMI
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R 2.1 and 2.0
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.0
    Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
    Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
    Asrock 4Core1600P35-WiFi+
    EVGA 780i SLI
    DFI LP LT P35 T2R
    DFI LP UT P35 T2R
    DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS
    MSI P35 Neo2-FR

as confirmed by Hardforum members.

Regarding the Foxconns, anyone here at the Hardforum purchase one and actually try it out of the box?

Remember this thread is for those people looking to purchase a mobo and E8400 together. Others following this thread, including myself, have been guineas pigs and appreciate any other Hardforum members' new findings too. Please start reporting the source of the motherboards too and time of purchase!

Thanks!

35. gn3ric

gn3ric n00b

Hey Guys, I just recently got the e8400 as well and i got the ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i. I was wondering if i will run into trouble? I know that i have to flash the bios to run e8400 because it's a 1333fsb rather than a 1066. I was wondering if any of you guys could give me any advice before i start :D

36. amish_p0rnst4r

amish_p0rnst4r Limp Gawd

DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS

Is this a good choice..... I'm looking to stay $150 on the mobo

37. Flexion

Flexion [H]ard|Gawd

I own this board and it's got my E8400 at 4.05GHz Stable at 1.43Vcore. I've been stress testing this board and two raid arrays on it. Not a single BSOD yet for a week so far.

The DFI board is a good choice, but there are a couple of things you should know about it.

The Northbridge cooler, although sufficient, probably needs active cooling if you're watercooling. DFI also puts a sticker on the Northbridge Cooler, warning you not to remove it, otherwise the warranty will be void. So you can't watercool the Northbridge without voiding the warranty. The Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R is a better featured board with a much larger passive cooler.

The DFI Lanparty DK P35-T2RS has almost too many bios options. There are a few tweaks that help in quadcore OC'ing as well. Like CPU VTT voltages, etc. Don't know about 45nm quads yet though.

My board is able to run at 500FSB, with the E8400, and may go higher, though I haven't tried.

DFI makes alot of server boards and equipment so the boards are stable and made well. I believe they got one of Abit's old engineers Oscar Wu or something like that to design their Lanparty boards. So the boards are generally pretty good for overclocking. DFI boards are not for novices though.

Hope this helps.

38. kazak

kazak Limp Gawd

and did you run into trouble? I have the same board and thinking of upgrading but I've read that there are possible issues with this along with no bios support??? I know I read them somewhere but I thought I also read others running ok with this combo.

39. gn3ric

gn3ric n00b

Well, I haven't started yet and was waiting for someone to maybe give me some advice. You have this board correct? But are you running the e8400 with this board? I know you have to flash the bios before installing windows if I'm correct. I'm still reading up on this "EZ FLASH BIOS" thing so I could do this smoothly. Let me know how everything went for you if you do have this board :D btw, thanks for replying.