Which MoBo for AMD x6

Guido02

Limp Gawd
Danny Bui recommended the Asus M4A89TD, but I stumbled across the Asus M4A89GTD, now my question is are these boards comrable? The latter has on-board video, but everything else seems to be pretty close to equal. What are the major differences. The processor I am going to be purchasing is the 1055t.

hold off on getting 1055t, 1075t is coming soon. Tuesday we will know official pricing.

M4A89TD i wouldn't suggest that because i doesn't support 3 way crossfire.

M4A89GTD isn't bad for the price.

hold off on getting 1055t, 1075t is coming soon. Tuesday we will know official pricing.

M4A89TD i wouldn't suggest that because i doesn't support 3 way crossfire.

M4A89GTD isn't bad for the price.

What are you talking about?

1075T is already out and is clocked at 3.0GHz. The 1055T is clocked at 2.8GHz and EASILY overclocks to 3.6-3.8. So why is "waiting" for the 1075T necessary?

3 way crossfire? How many people actually utilize that? Does he even need it?

The M4A89TD is based on the 890FX chipset and doesn't have integrated video. It also has 2 X x16 PCI-E slots.
The M4A89GTD is based on the 890GFX chipset and has the integrated 4200 series video. It has 2 X x8 PCI-E slots.

Other than that the boards are the same.

1075T is already out and is clocked at 3.0GHz. The 1055T is clocked at 2.8GHz and EASILY overclocks to 3.6-3.8. So why is "waiting" for the 1075T necessary?

show me a link to where i can buy it online.

3 way crossfire? How many people actually utilize that? Does he even need it?

even if you don't use 3 way, you have more access to pci/pcie slots than dual card config.

In regards to video, I currently have a 9800GT, but I want to upgrade soon. The dilemma is that I have a Dell 30" monitor, so I need a vid card that runs good at 2560 x 1600. From what some folks here have mentioned is that I might be best off using the 9800 for now until the new GPU's come out. The intention is to find something that will play high quality games well on the monitor. I may do crosffire or sli, but its highly doubtful that I will be doing anymore than 2 cards.

Also, the one mobo is $40 more and doesn't have the onboard graphics (which doesn't matter) but just looking for a recommendation. What motherboard would you use for this setup?

In regards to video, I currently have a 9800GT, but I want to upgrade soon. The dilemma is that I have a Dell 30" monitor, so I need a vid card that runs good at 2560 x 1600. From what some folks here have mentioned is that I might be best off using the 9800 for now until the new GPU's come out. The intention is to find something that will play high quality games well on the monitor. I may do crosffire or sli, but its highly doubtful that I will be doing anymore than 2 cards.

Also, the one mobo is $40 more and doesn't have the onboard graphics (which doesn't matter) but just looking for a recommendation. What motherboard would you use for this setup?

The problem with sticking with AMD is that none of the newest motherboard chipsets for that CPU support SLI at all - only CrossFire. And the most recent motherboard chipset for AMD CPUs that supports SLI is now more than a year old. Thus, if you want SLI, you might have little choice but to go with an Intel build at this time.

I recommended the Asus M4A89TD for two reasons:
A) It was part of a combo deal that dropped its price down to the same price level as the Asus M4A89GTD
B) I knew for sure that the Asus M4A89TD was a good overclocking motherboard which was one of your requirements
C) It was recommended the most around in the AMD subforum

With that said, the Asus M4A89GTD is a pretty great motherboard
http://hardocp.com/article/2010/07/06/asus_m4a89gtd_prousb3_motherboard_review/

So if you need to save some cash, no problems whatsoever going with the M4A89GTD. There's even a combo link for that mobo and 1055T:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.500630

For those that aren't aware of the original post, this will link you to are previuos conversation.

We went the path of AMD because Intel doesn't have an "Upgrade Path" as Danny and the others made me aware of. Is there an expected timeframe for new processor to be released?

Q1 or Q2 of 2011

main reason why i suggested that you wait ontill tomorrow as the NDA is up and pricing of the 1055t should fall by about $20 or so..

Ill definitely postpone a few days to pull the trigger, thats not a problem at all. It_shiro, do you think I will be heading in the right direction with this build?

if it was me. i would get the 890gx and 1055t or 1075t if it cheap for now. Then get AMD new series of video cards, next month.

Hey it_shiro, I see in hot deals that Fry's has the 1075t for 179.99 in store, I just checked newegg and the 1055t is still at 199, and they don't offer the 1075t for some reason. You had said that the price will/should go down, but where should I be expecting it to go down at? I don't live near a Fry's... Well, there is one about 2 hours away in Phoenix, Az, and I'm in Tucson. Is the 1075t much better? Or same thing at 200Mhz faster?

For those that aren't aware of the original post, this will link you to are previuos conversation.

We went the path of AMD because Intel doesn't have an "Upgrade Path" as Danny and the others made me aware of. Is there an expected timeframe for new processor to be released?

neither does AMD since the bulldozer will be socket AM3+......

Hey it_shiro, I see in hot deals that Fry's has the 1075t for 179.99 in store, I just checked newegg and the 1055t is still at 199, and they don't offer the 1075t for some reason. You had said that the price will/should go down, but where should I be expecting it to go down at? I don't live near a Fry's... Well, there is one about 2 hours away in Phoenix, Az, and I'm in Tucson. Is the 1075t much better? Or same thing at 200Mhz faster?

its black edition which is easier too overclock but i wouldn't really go out of my way to get one. 1055t overclocks to 4 ghz generally with ddr3. 1055t should be $180 in the near future.

Is this true? SO this means that if I go with the 1055t, because the socket is a bit different, I would be in the same position as the iX series?

Very similar although you can use current AMD CPUs on the new AM3+ motherboards but unless AMD changes things before launch it looks like the new Bulldozer-derivative CPUs will not work on current AM3 motherboards even if they physically fit the socket. That is the same situation facing owners of early Intel Socket LGA 775 motherboards which wouldn't work with the then-new Core 2 CPUs even if the CPUs physically fit the sockets.

I recommended the Asus M4A89TD for two reasons:
....B) I knew for sure that the Asus M4A89TD was a good overclocking motherboard which was one of your requirements....
C) It was recommended the most around in the AMD subforum

With that said, the Asus M4A89GTD is a pretty great motherboard
http://hardocp.com/article/2010/07/06/asus_m4a89gtd_prousb3_motherboard_review/

So if you need to save some cash, no problems whatsoever going with the M4A89GTD. There's even a combo link for that mobo and 1055T:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.500630

Does the M4A89GTD overclock well like the other board recommended? I dont plan on dual video cards at this current point in time so if I can save a bit of money on this setup right now that might be best.

pricing for 1075t is much higher than what i though it would be. 1055t is still best value for money CPU in AMD line up.

i have use M4A89GTD to take a 1055t too 4 GHz more than once.

are you talking about how they just added the 1075t on Newegg at $245? Fry's has the dang 1055t for $180 at the store, and I just wish that Newegg would drop it to that price. Driving 2 hours one way isn't worth the 20 bucks difference to go to phoenix though. I am almost ready to purchase everything, I just want to make sure I am making the right choices. So this motherboard is the right one then right?

I also am reconsidering getting a video card now. If I did purchase one, what would play games at high resolution on the 30" monitor? I realize the 460 is best bang for buck, but I also understand it can't handle 2560x1600. If I do get a new vid card, do I need a new PSU, or do I only need a new PSU if I go for SLI/Crossfire?

I also am reconsidering getting a video card now. If I did purchase one, what would play games at high resolution on the 30" monitor? I realize the 460 is best bang for buck, but I also understand it can't handle 2560x1600. If I do get a new vid card, do I need a new PSU, or do I only need a new PSU if I go for SLI/Crossfire?
For an AMD setup right now for 2560x1600:

Option A: 2 x HD 5850 1GB in Crossfire + new 750W PSU - $635
Option B: HD 5870 1GB + new 750W PSU - $470
Option C: GTX 480 + new 750W PSU - $555
Option D: HD 5970 1GB + new 850W PSU - $655

Option B would be the bare minimum for 2560x1600. Still wouldn't get the max settings with the HD 5870. Option A would be the more cost-effective out of the two. As you can tell, you will need a new PSU for all the options, even for a single GPU setup. Option C is the worst value out of the four.

Yes the Asus M4A89GTD is a good motherboard.

Last edited:
Danny bui, are those setups so that I can run all current games at max settings? IS there a comprimise that would work while running games at medium to high settings for that monitor.

I know we have talked alot about upgrade path, but I am most likely to use this PC for quite some time without upgrading it. If thats the case, would the AMD still be recommended? I am very happy with theAMD setup, I like the fact that it will be a hexcore system, so if AMD is still the best choice while taking into account the previous statement, that is just fine by me.

Danny bui, are those setups so that I can run all current games at max settings? IS there a comprimise that would work while running games at medium to high settings for that monitor.

I know we have talked alot about upgrade path, but I am most likely to use this PC for quite some time without upgrading it. If thats the case, would the AMD still be recommended? I am very happy with theAMD setup, I like the fact that it will be a hexcore system, so if AMD is still the best choice while taking into account the previous statement, that is just fine by me.

No those ARE the minimum setups needed for medium settings at 2560x1600. So yeah, I think there's a compromise already. 2560x1600 is pretty demanding in terms of GPU power. So much so that the all of the options that I mentioned would have been enough for max settings for 1920x1080. That should give you an idea of how demanding 2560x1600 is. Though Option D is probably more than likely near max settings. If you want low to medium settings at 2560x1600, HD 5770 1GB Crossfire might be up there.

If you're happy with the AMD setup, stick with it.

Back