Which LGA1366 motherboard?

RamGuy

n00b
Well, the new Asus Rampage II Extreme 1104 BIOS update did completely mess up my Rampage II Extreme motherboard BIG-TIME!

No, it was not a bad flash, I have no idea what happened, re-flash / down-flash didn't resolve anything what's so ever, making my motherboard useless as stuff like RAID didn't work any more whatsoever..

This gives me the opportunity to select another Rampage II Extreme motherboard, or some other LGA1366 motherboard as my replacement board! And as the Rampage II Extreme is the most expensive board available here in Norway it means I can freely chose between whatever LGA1366 I want!

The question popping in my head then is.. Which board should I pick?
Any options / recommendations on this matter?

If there's that big of a problem with the 1104 bios, I'd just wait and see if a newer bios fixes the issue as there should be a "fixed" bios out quickly.

Personally, I have the EVGA X58 SLI mainboard and it is a fine board.
It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it is a solid board.

I have a i7 920 at 4.0 GHz and most likely could go higher.

If you want to wait, and like all those expensive perks, EVGA will release their "Classified" mainboard in mid-March.
It's touted to be the ROXORZ ......I don't know.

I've read about it and it seems to have alot of really keen features......but it will be brand new and all that goes with that.

Im waiting for the Asus Rampage II GENE or the DFI Lanparty DK JR... both mini boards (that can still do 2xSLi/crossfire). The Rampage II Extreme was pretty much the first wave of x58 boards... I wouldnt have high hopes for stability with such boards. Im hoping by the time the GENE comes out (a second wave) they can iron out these problems. The P6T6 WS Revolution looks like its more stable (other than the nf200 chipset not being able to run 3-way SLi)... posting some record overclocks at least.

I got an Asus P6T plain board. Supports 24GB ram at over DDR3 1600. It was decently cheap as well, compared to many of the other boards.

Im waiting for the Asus Rampage II GENE or the DFI Lanparty DK JR... both mini boards (that can still do 2xSLi/crossfire). The Rampage II Extreme was pretty much the first wave of x58 boards... I wouldnt have high hopes for stability with such boards. Im hoping by the time the GENE comes out (a second wave) they can iron out these problems. The P6T6 WS Revolution looks like its more stable (other than the nf200 chipset not being able to run 3-way SLi)... posting some record overclocks at least.

The P6T6 now runs Tri-SLI after a bios update.

There weren't really stability issues with the first generation of boards though, I haven't had any problems at all with the 4 systems I've built for people or with mine. Well except for the standby makes my PSU think it has a fault but that's it's fault. *knock on wood*

The P6T6 Revolution is a very nice board as is the EVGA X58. Pretty much go with whatever you like!

Back