Which laptop should I buy for gamin?

Riki-maru

n00b
Hello,

I'm deciding on which laptop should I buy for gaming. My budget right now is between $1000-$1500. I was looking at the Alienware M14x or the Asus G74 Sx. Any opinions? Thank you.

- Riki

At that price might I suggest actually either going with the MSI or a Sager from XoticPC.com I just ordered a NP8150 Sager from then a few weeks ago and am completely satisfied so far. You can configure the 8150 with either the radeon 6990m or if you got the money the nvidia 580M. The MSI one comes with a nvidia 570m. I believe that the asus one only comes with the 560m. heres my specs that I bought from them for 1519 total
x Sager NP8150 / Clevo P150HM
- Current Promotion: SAGER Sale!!! - $100 OFF When you spend $1500* or more! (*excludes accessories, shipping, non Sager items & taxes) NP8150 & NP8170 Only - Confirmation of discount will be provided after Order Processing
- Display: 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen (SKU - S1P318)
- Monitor Calibration: NO Professional Monitor Color Calibration
- Dead Pixel Warranty: 30 Day No Dead Pixel Warranty (On any screen)
- Processor: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache) (SKU - S2R201)
- Thermal Compound: -Stock OEM Thermal Compound
- Graphics Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD6990 2048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 (SKU - S3R151)
- External Display Video Adapters: No Video Adapter
- Ram: 8GB - DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (4 SODIMMS) - Special! (SKU - S4P369)
- Branding: Sager Branding
- Exterior Finish: Standard Finish
- Primary Hard Drive: 500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) (SKU - S5R207)
- Optical Drive Bay: 6X Blu-Ray Read/8X DVDRW Super Multi Combo Drive - Special! (SKU - S7P557)
- Optical Drive Bay Hard Drive Caddy: No Extra Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy
- External Hard Drive (Back Up): No Back Up Hard Drive
- External USB Optical Drive: NO External USB Optical Drive
- Floppy Drive: No Floppy Drive
- Memory Card Reader: Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
- Back Up Software: No Back Up Software
- Bluetooth: None Standard--
- Wireless Network: Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth (SKU - S8R110)
- Wireless Network Accessories: No Network Accessory
- Camera: Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- TV Tuner: No TV Tuner
- Sound Card: Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Case: Basic Black Business Case - Included
- Battery: Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
- Car Adapter: No Car Adapter
- Spare AC Adapter: None Standard*
- Port Replicator / Dock / Adapters: No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- Fingerprint Reader: Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- Mouse / Keyboard Accessories: No External Keyboard or Mouse
- Notebook Cooler: No Notebook Cooler
- XOTIC PC Redline Boost™ Extreme Performance: No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system (Overclocking will add 3-6 business days to build time)
- Operating System: No Operating System Standard - Drivers & Utility Software Only
- Microsoft Office Software: No Office Software
- Software Bundle (Not Installed): No Software Bundle
- Warranty: LIFETIME Ltd Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime -24/7 DOMESTIC Based- Toll Free Telephone Tech Support (Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)
Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Warranty Repairs (SKU - X9R009)
- Outside of U.S. Shipping Coverage: No Outside of US Shipping Coverage
- Build Time: Standard Production Time
- Xotic Gear: No Xotic PC Gear

My friend just got a G74, I've had a G50 for years and if i had the cash right now I'd buy the new G74 with a 2670QM. Asus is great at that price point... if I had $3,000 to blow I'd go Sager or Alienware. I like MSI, but their products are NOT as quality in my experience.

Well as you can see on my build I got a sager myself for 1500 so its still possible there. As for MSI I had heard that new ones with the 570m solved alot of the old problems. Thats what I had heard. My suggestion is go to www.xoticpc.com check the configurations out on the Asus, sager, and MSI laptops they have there (Their all configurable, except the vid cards sometimes). See which one you think you can afford and still have great performance with. :D

Sagers are great for gaming. They have great customer service and quality. ASUS is also a good one, but make sure to read the reviews on the model you like. Some ASUS ROG laptops had overheating problems(should've been fixed).

I have a g73 from xoticpc and am very happy with both it, and xotic.

The g73 has been a great laptop so far. The only way you ever even hear the fans are is you balance it on it's left side. Don't ask.

my salesman was brett s. Helpful, quick, answered my questions.

Sager's are good, but lack many features that other brands add for free.

Asus is great if you get one that is in perfect shape, pray you never have to deal with their rma department. I had the G73, which was great until it died.

MSI is now producing a great gaming notebook line, the GT780DX/DXR. There have been very few complaints since its release in early June. This is what I am currently using and it kicks the Asus's ass all day long in every aspect, build quality, cooling, features, stability, etc.

Xotic does provide excellent service, however, I personally use Gentech, the service provided is the best, Ken always answers any question very rapidly and will help deal with the manufacture, if you ever do run into any problems with any notebook that he sells.

G73JH-BTS7 Refurbished from Amazon/Circuit City for 780$ shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-G73JH-BS...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319243843&sr=1-11
This is the AMD 5870M version. OC'd, it beats the G74 in performance.

Why spend $1000+ when you can have the same or even better specs for under $800?

I picked one of these up from Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230021

Outstanding bargain. You can also buy an extended 2 year warranty from Newegg for $110.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Another recommendation for the MSI GT series laptops, I have a GT780DXR and it has run everything I have thrown at it so far without issue.

I'll vouch for the M14x. It's a good overall laptop, with gaming in the mix. The TN panel is of higher quality than most, speakers are also high in ranking. The keyboard, touchpad, build quality are also very good. Not to mention, it's still portable.

i just got a G74 BB7 from best buy on a clearance. I wanted something more portable for LANs. I used it a one this weekend. Rock solid. It was the first time I've ever felt like I wasn't cheated by gaming on a laptop. For the price, it was unbeatable. I was considering Sager and MSI as well, but this thing was a steal for the performance to price.

Well as you can see on my build I got a sager myself for 1500 so its still possible there. As for MSI I had heard that new ones with the 570m solved alot of the old problems. Thats what I had heard. My suggestion is go to www.xoticpc.com check the configurations out on the Asus, sager, and MSI laptops they have there (Their all configurable, except the vid cards sometimes). See which one you think you can afford and still have great performance with. :D

http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-fx620dx256us-p-3440.html?wconfigure=yes

i like how they admit their PCs come with bloatware and charge you $15 extra to have a clean OS install

Back