Which laptop for gaming use?

they look promising but the prices dont. in my price range I can only get one with a 9600 GT for $850 which the 2 options above show more of a bang for the buck. One has a 9800 GS and the other a 9800 Gts

you could get the 3850 17 inch one

on that note of fail, i'd go for the asus but only because I have used them in the past and they are solid, whereas the gateway's I've used have a trend of using cheap materials.. =x

im not sure how well a 3850 stacks against those other cards. however it is in my price range.

Now the asus. Is a 9800 GS vs a 9800 GTS a huge defference in laptop graphics?

Not really. It has similar specs to the 9800M GTS but, with a lower clock speed of 530mhz vs 600mhz.

ok.... so is it worth spending about $170-200 for the gateway then? as appose to this one ....

ok.... so is it worth spending about $170-200 for the gateway then? as appose to this one ....

Really up to you at this point, as they are quite similar in price/performance (IMO they are in the same bracket range).

The Gateway is 17" (as opposed to the ASUS's 15.4"), but the Gateway's resolution is 1440x900 (as opposed to the ASUS's 1366x768). More expensive variants of that Gateway feature a 1920x1200 screen.

Video cards are quite similar as HardwareGuru stated. You can also check this link out for a look at most common mobile GPU's: Notebookcheck.net. I wouldn't go for a notebook with 3850 personally, a bit too slow and outdated for most recent games on high settings.

Like elite.mafia has mentioned, some Gateways have had some issues in the past (mostly heat-related if I remember correctly). Can't speak personally for Gateway as I've never owned any of their products.

I have the ASUS G50VT-X1 (from a Best Buy Outlet deal a month or so back), and so far, it's working just fine; I've played WoW, TF2, and Fallout 3 on max settings with no problems whatsoever in getting smooth in-game performance.

Review for the ASUS: ASUS G50VT-X1

Review for the Gateway: Gateway P-7805u

If you can spare the extra cash, I'd recommend the Gateway, which was the one I was planning to get until I got a good deal on the ASUS; then, of course, a better deal came out for the P-7805u a day after I placed my order. Karma :p

I think this thread should really be in the Mobile Computing section, though ;)

anyone have any first hand opinions on the Asus being refurbed? or with the battery life on this system i see the review site said 2 hours 19 mins on balanced wondering if anyone has tried to see how long it would last on power saver?

My friend just bought the newer version of that Asus from Best Buy, the one with the lightning on it... and I have a Gateway w/ 8800m GTS, and I added a T9300 to it.

I'd say that either will fit your needs. Basically it comes down to probably if you want a little smaller with lower resolution, or a little bigger and higher resolution. They're both pretty similar otherwise. I can vouch for this line of Gateways, they have rather decent quality... maybe one step below Asus laptops, because Asus laptops are pretty nice. The Gateway is a lot less flashy though, lol.

But yeah, either will work for you just fine.

I have alienware M17x and its working well no problems yet so it is obvious I will recommend Alienware M17x.

===============================================================
Regards

Computer / Laptop Repair keeps your computer / laptop in good working condition
"gamemaniac"

dell e1705 can be had for around 4-500 on ebay and another 2-300 for a decent video card and your golden :)

Back