Which is your favorite SSD drive ?

c0re

Limp Gawd
If you could only rate one SSD as the best pick, which one would it be and why? Everyone whom i ask this question to says Samsung Evo.

Since there are so many brands out there and prices are dropping like crazy, it gets overwhelming to choose just one.

The Evo is amazing performance for the price, especially the 512 and up since they are so fast.

The Samsung Pro drives are even better, but usually quite a bit more pricey so not as good perf/price.

For best of all desktop use, I would prefer the Samsung Pro as well.
For cost sensitive server use I prefer the Sandisk extreme pro as it offers a better continous performance under load (maybe its only due the larger overprovisioning per default).

For a heavy write load without regarding the cost, I would use the Intel S3700.

I choose Crucial MX100 512GB - because it's the biggest SSD I have! It's fast enough and big enough for me. Boots windows 8.1 very fast. If it's 1 second slower than the others, who cares?

My favorite used to be the OCZ Revodrives, because of all the exercise one could get RMA-ing the drive so often.

I've purchased and installed over twenty 480gb RevoDrive 3X2's and have never experienced a failure. Just installed my first RevoDrive 350 and expect the same reliability!

For a heavy write load without regarding the cost, I would use the Intel S3700.
Yes, we have been using those for server applications and are very satisfied, best SATA SSD you can get for this purpose IMO. Better than that only with enterprise SAS/PCIe...

For heavy desktop use Samsung Pro is high on the list.

If we are talking SATA SSDs Samsung 850 Pro 1TB. Great desktop performance and a 10 year warranty. Will not wear out after decades of usage.
I'd argue this is a bad metric for evaluating a desktop SSD, and here's why: You usually won't have an SSD in your desktop for more than 2-3 years before upgrading. By that time the new SSD you buy will be 2-4x the capacity for the same price, and likely faster besides. Essentially, unless you have incredibly high write workloads, even the cheapest of consumer SSDs won't wear out before you upgrade. Also, generally speaking the "fast" SSDs and the "slow" SSDs have similar real world speed. 90,000 IOPS versus 75,000 isn't some massive difference when you're sitting at your machine using it, as opposed to benchmarking.

For those reasons I like whatever is cheapest and biggest, which right now is the Crucial M500 and 840 Samsungs at the 960GB/1TB level.

for performance I like Samsung 840/850 pros

but for best bang/deal I like crucial mx100.

I'd argue this is a bad metric for evaluating a desktop SSD, and here's why: You usually won't have an SSD in your desktop for more than 2-3 years before upgrading.

We might do that. But most PC owners (i.e. the 99.9% other than us enthusiasts) aren't going to upgrade a hard drive or SSD in their PC. They're going to expect it to last 5 - 10 years (and sometimes longer). And even those who do upgrade after 2-3 years may prefer to move the old drive to a secondary PC for a few more years of service.

i have always liked Crucial.

i have a four and a half year old C300 128GB
and a six month old M500 256GB

Another vote for mx100 good space for the price and I never am saying "god I wish this was faster"

Samsung, by far, just seems to be the one that is going to last the longest. But to be honest out of all the 8 ssds ive had not one failed. Hehe. I guess its the marketing. Ocz, muskin, corsair, samsung.

Back