Which is better plug and play? Intel expander or HP?

SomeGuy133

2[H]4U
Taking everyones advise on here I am going with an HBA and expander for my NAS.

I am looking at getting the LSI 9211-8i because everyone seems to recommend it unless I should for some reason change my mind and get a different one like something newer or whatever.

I was going to get either the HP SAS Expander or the Intel one. The prices are relatively equal on ebay for used/new for either one and the HP has more ports

But ignore all of that. Both suit my needs and the only thing I really care about is plug and play. Which will work out of the box and be easiest to use? I know 99% chance I have to update the BIOS on the HP but I don't think i need to do that on the Intel. The thing just working is crucial for me and I wanted to get your guy's advice on which would be best in that regards.

Compatibility and working is all I care about because each fit my needs at the spec level.

I figured I would chance buying used on ebay since you can get each item for ~half off retail price. HBA plus expander for 250 is not too bad lol.

I haven't bought either expander as I went for JBOD units with their own, but from what I read at the time to upgrade the HP expander you need an HP controller card.

For the LSI you can get the newer 9223 or the IBM equivalent M1115.

I haven't bought either expander as I went for JBOD units with their own, but from what I read at the time to upgrade the HP expander you need an HP controller card.

For the LSI you can get the newer 9223 or the IBM equivalent M1115.

whats the difference? I have heard a few people claim the 9211 has terrible write speeds but others say opposite.

I also heard about the lsi 9260-8i as well. I honestly haven't had time yet to look into all the different versions and pricing yet.

Unles if i am looking in the wrong place I don't see 9223 or 9260 on their site.

Last edited:
Back