which is better: dust filter material sheet or buy the actual fan filter? And why aluminum filter?

You're missing two key calculations here:

1) Time - at 20$ An hour if it takes you more than 10 minutes to make one, you're losing dramatically.
2) Ease of access - I'll absolutely pay the extra for something that is a drop in place solution.

Now if it were a 20-30$ filter you could make for 3$ in material? Then, go for it, the time investment is worth it.

So for the power cable comparison:

People buy pre-made power cables because removing pins from those ATX style connectors is a pain in the fucking ass and not worth the time and effort for most of us. (I've done it, but if I had to do more than a few, I am absolutely buying a pre-made cable.)
While there is a time-value factor, i dont think its that clear cut. For a few dollars, you'll have the materials on hand and the experience to mod your case as you see fit whenever you feel like it. It just opens up options.

Power cables, those connectors are like 40 cents a pop, and free if you have an old PSU you are replacing(i kept new ones as backup). I bought from Ensourced, fyi. Bought a huge roll of wire off ebay for a few dollars. Crimper for $25 from Amazon. I dunno, it only took me a few minutes to create a new set power cables for my new GPU, same for multiple times i changed drive layouts and when i realized a cleaner way to route CPU power(instead of near shortest path). While first time took a bit of time to wire up everything brand new and also learn how to crimp/double crimp, size wire right... Now its nothing.

I dont play baby dress up/action figure, no fancy heat shrink/sleeves,... The expensive/overrated stuff is when you go all peacock show, i fully agree with you there. But there is a lot of doors opened if you invest a few dollars on a crimper here or dremel there... Its not expensive at all. Like i showed, $20 will likely get you enough material to last you many cases and or re-designs. And the 3rd time on, it will take a few minutes at most.

I bought a piece of mesh filter that works. But I bought too much. If you like, I can sell you the rest, it's more than enough for any PC. Let me know

It is a good idea, stuff does accumulate some dust. But I run on the stand anyways and guess have the loop assembled on the stand, might be difficult to drain that way though...I don't know leave alittle slack in the hoses where you can move the pump off to the side and drain if need be.

or just don't worry about it and shut everything off periodically and use a vacuum cleaner.

following an update of this thead

is there any dust filter mesh that is made of natural material?

no not hard. you can get silk mesh/filter material, cant remember what its called though, its used in fashion

*edit*

I started at the beginning of the thread and didn’t realize it was an old bump. I have nothing intelligent to add.

Please carry on.

And No... I'm not going to quit smoking... As we are only smoking the finest... Guess I'm going to stick with the same thing I have always done order womans Day sheer pantyhose Size E is 60 to 70" size F is 75 to 85". I have done the size F before and each leg can wrap completely around a Full Tower. Then have the outer panels cover the hose. I have smoke, 2 dogs a cat and live on a farm and can swap them every 4 to 6 months - sometimes more often depending on service needs. As Freddy Mercury said Fat bottomed girls... you make the rock'in world go round...

Happy Hopping What mesh size did you decide on in the end? I want filter for the top of my Phanteks X... DEMCiflex make a custom filter, but it's $30 after shipping to the UK, and might jump to $40 if I get a import/customs charge, so I'm looking at making my own since a 1 metre roll of nylon is $5.

Reading up, nylon definitely seems to be the material of choice. If DEMCiflex really have 100 micron holes then 150 mesh looks to be a perfect match (reference table)... their filters get great reviews, so it seems a good product to copy.

Did you stick with the 150 mesh nylon, or did you go to a smaller mesh size (ie bigger holes)? 125 mesh will give better airflow (approx 120 micron holes)... does it still filter sufficiently well.. probably yes?

And No... I'm not going to quit smoking... As we are only smoking the finest... Guess I'm going to stick with the same thing I have always done order womans Day sheer pantyhose Size E is 60 to 70" size F is 75 to 85". I have done the size F before and each leg can wrap completely around a Full Tower. Then have the outer panels cover the hose. I have smoke, 2 dogs a cat and live on a farm and can swap them every 4 to 6 months - sometimes more often depending on service needs. As Freddy Mercury said Fat bottomed girls... you make the rock'in world go round...
please post pics of that.

Back