Which is better BIOSTAR TForce6100-939 or GIGABYTE GA-K8N51PVMT-9

xtremerpr

n00b
Hey which of these 2 mobos would is better BIOSTAR TForce6100-939 or GIGABYTE GA-K8N51PVMT-9

I'm not planning on overclocking but would like some opinions, since I plan on ordering next week wanted some last minute opinions. Thanks for any help

I've seen more trouble with the GA board on a few forums and from the reviews at newegg.

Also the GA board worries me as they have been known to sometimes use cheap ass Taiwanese capacitors, in this case they are using tall electrolytics, and I'm not sure if they will interfere with the larger heat sinks.

The Biostar board is using low profile caps that may fair a bit better if you choose to use a huge heat sink and fan for noise concerns.

That's just my 2 cents though...

MD

I think if you wish to overclock, the only option is the Biostar board.

Otherwise, for a little more, the Gigabyte board is more feature-loaded.

By the way MD, the board he's referring to, the GA-K8N51PVMT-9, was just released and as of today, two people had reviewed it, one person who actually bought it giving it a good review, while the other person giving it a 3 out of 5, although I might add he gave it solely because he saw it didn't include a DVI-out, and thus he never even bought the motherboard (people who review products on newegg without having actually bought them shouldn't be allowed to post again).

The older Gigabyte board though did have a few issues.

I personally like Gigabyte. I've always lucked out though - I've had Biostar, Gigabyte, Shuttle, MSI, Epox and ECS motherboards, and I've never had any problems from a single one ( I like ASUS too, but prefer MSI the most).

Just to clarify I'm not bashing GA, and I believe I confused that board with the older one Gigabyte does make decent boards..So I apologize for my screw up :eek:.

I've been looking at both boards myself...

*Neither* Gigabyte board has ANY voltage adjustment options in the BIOS, however.

Makes overclocking extremely difficult, if possible at all.

MD_Willington said:
Just to clarify I'm not bashing GA, and I believe I confused that board with the older one Gigabyte does make decent boards..So I apologize for my screw up :eek:.

I've been looking at both boards myself...

Sorry if it came off like I was annoyed/angry/etc. at what you said. I was just trying to correct the comment about the GA board.

The last computer I bought before I started out-right building all of my own, was a eMachines eMonster 500. We used to have a running joke amongst my friends - that I had the only good eMachine they had made (this was back in 1999, and my little eMonster is still running to this day).

And I have heard where people have had problems with GA boards before - I'm just going off of my own personal experiences. I also haven't overclocked though since 2002, so overclocking features no longer really matter to me vs. just a solid board with a nice set of features (which is why I ultimately chose the GA-K8N51PVMT-9 over the Biostar board. :)

I've had the GA-K8N51GMF-9 for almost a month now and I've had nothing but problems. I keep receiving the MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR and from various posts on forums and on the newegg reviews I am not the only one.
Im not looking at overclocking, just lookin for stability that was the reason I went with the gigabyte board. Looks like I was wrong. I may go with the Asus board unless there is some sort of fix for this problem that is released.

ToastMaster said:
Sorry if it came off like I was annoyed/angry/etc. at what you said. I was just trying to correct the comment about the GA board.

The last computer I bought before I started out-right building all of my own, was a eMachines eMonster 500. We used to have a running joke amongst my friends - that I had the only good eMachine they had made (this was back in 1999, and my little eMonster is still running to this day).

And I have heard where people have had problems with GA boards before - I'm just going off of my own personal experiences. I also haven't overclocked though since 2002, so overclocking features no longer really matter to me vs. just a solid board with a nice set of features (which is why I ultimately chose the GA-K8N51PVMT-9 over the Biostar board. :)

Hey ToastMaster

Have you had any problems with your GIGABYTE GA-K8N51PVMT-9?

clarknova said:
I've had the GA-K8N51GMF-9 for almost a month now and I've had nothing but problems. I keep receiving the MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR and from various posts on forums and on the newegg reviews I am not the only one.
Im not looking at overclocking, just lookin for stability that was the reason I went with the gigabyte board. Looks like I was wrong. I may go with the Asus board unless there is some sort of fix for this problem that is released.

Actually, I did read about that problem, as well as the fix for it. Give me a day and I'll find it for you (have a Final to finish studying for for tomorrow, plus a paper to write :( )

xtremerpr said:
Hey ToastMaster

Have you had any problems with your GIGABYTE GA-K8N51PVMT-9?

It arrives tomorrow via UPS ;). I'll have my system up-and-running in a couple of days, so I'll post the results of the installation process/etc. once I get it going, here.

Probably Biostar, but like all of the TForce boards, they both have the stupid problem of having the PCI-E x1 slot in the top slot. So much for quiet video coolers and using the PCI slots! Really frustrating me right now.

ToastMaster said:
Actually, I did read about that problem, as well as the fix for it. Give me a day and I'll find it for you (have a Final to finish studying for for tomorrow, plus a paper to write :( )

Dude, please post the fix. I have not found any fix for it just people post after post of people talking about the problem but no solution. Please post the fix please I will be forever greatful.

ToastMaster said:
No problem !...I was taking a quick look and had a brain fart...

My multi-tasker was a few cups short on the caffeine :p

dderidex said:
*Neither* Gigabyte board has ANY voltage adjustment options in the BIOS, however.

Makes overclocking extremely difficult, if possible at all.

Is this after accessing hidden Bios features by pressing Ctrl + F1?

My PVMT-9 worked for a day and then refused to POST with no display and no beeps. I've encountered another forum member who just returned his for the exact same reason. I hope this is not indicative of a systemic or design problem with the mobo.

Rand

rand777 said:
My PVMT-9 worked for a day and then refused to POST with no display and no beeps. I've encountered another forum member who just returned his for the exact same reason. I hope this is not indicative of a systemic or design problem with the mobo.

Rand

I had the same problem with the PVMT-9. I ended up RMA'ing half my parts until I realized it was the motherboard. I just ordered the Asus 6150 motherboard.
I went as so far as calling Gigabyte regarding this problem along with the MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR. They refused to acknowledge it at all even though I see these problems being posted on forums all over the net without any solutions.

Given the # of reported errors with the gigabyte board I may just play it safe and get the Asus board if newegg will let me change my mind (I sent in the RMA this morning). Does anyone know if the Asus board will support two graphics cards at once (PCIe and PCI)? Thanks!

Rand

Has anybody come up with a fix for the "MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR" for the Gigabyte yet? I got the error while running BF2 last night twice.

im assuming this is gigabyte's 6150/430 board you're referring to, as i can't recognize the model number and im too lazy to look it up. this board shouldn't even be an option when you're looking at matx boards. all three of the competition is better than this board, asus 6150/430 for stock usage cuz it's capped at 240fsb, foxconn for oc'ing - plenty of options, 285fsb prime stable, and the msi's capabilities are semi-unknown, but the other two options seem better at the moment cuz people can't find any vcore adjustments in the msi board's bios. if you're oc'ing, it's really a matter of do you want the higher fsb capabilities of the biostar or do you want the features of the foxconn. if you have a cpu with a 10x multi, you might as well go with the foxconn unless ur water cooling or something like that.

Back