Which high end SSD drive is NOT made in China?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I think w/ the money that they charges, I expect my SSD to be made in USA or Japan, so $500 for a 80GB SSD made in China is a bit absurd, consider it's just a memory chip inside.

So besides Kingston or Intel, who do we have that is fast like 250 MB/s read, 170 Mb/s write, and also made in USA or Japan?

Nobody. There are no RAM fabrication/manufacturing plants in the US, so... deal with it. :) Intel's x25 high end SSD isn't made in the US, or Japan, and it's the best one on the market right now, soooo... deal with that too. :D

NEXT!!!

I hope you are not asking this in belief that US workforce is more competent than that in far east, but rather because you would want all of your money to stay in US for the good of the economy...
:)

My Samsung one was made in South Korea...not that that would help you much.

It's all made by machines, it's not like it's made by hand, plus there aren't even any moving parts..

Nobody. There are no RAM fabrication/manufacturing plants in the US, so... deal with it. :) Intel's x25 high end SSD isn't made in the US, or Japan, and it's the best one on the market right now, soooo... deal with that too. :D

NEXT!!!

There are several RAM fabs in the United states. Several fabs make DDR and NAND RAM. Micron has U.S. plants in Boise, Idaho--Mannasas, West Virginia--and Lehi, Utah.

Nobody. and it's the best one on the market right now, soooo... deal with that too. :D

NEXT!!!

http://www.bitmicro.com/products_edisk_altima_35_sas.php

I'm willing to bet money that the above is made in USA. And their SSD is up to 1.6TB and 300 MB/sec Burst Rate. I just don't know what the read or write Mb/s is, eventhough they said ustained rates of up to 230 MB/sec.

Regardless, clearly INtel or Kingston is not the best one on the market, neither in speed or storage capacity

Um...I don't get why the OP has such a stigma against Chinese-made computer products, especially when most of the components in our computers are probably made in China to begin with. ;)

I work in Utah, for a joint venture between Intel and Micron (IM Flash Technologies)

We are currently making the baddest NAND flash there is, world class... For Intel and Micron, so the chips ARE made here.

Our drives are probably assembled in China or Mexico, even though the chips are made here (and Manassas, Va). Not giving away the store though, don't even ask. We have the technology lead at the moment, and IP is life and death. But all that I have told you is available in public domain.

I have more than enough made in China product in my house, I can't find 1 that doesn't crap out. So if the assembly is in china, and another brand is made in US, even if it is more than money, say $100 to $200 more, I'll go for the USA product.

I have more than enough made in China product in my house, I can't find 1 that doesn't crap out. So if the assembly is in china, and another brand is made in US, even if it is more than money, say $100 to $200 more, I'll go for the USA product.

That's probably because your buying the worst possible China knockoffs known to man. The China made stuff is one thing but when your buying a knockoff of a knockoff of a knockoff for 1/3rd the price you really shouldn't count that in this convo! :p

There's plenty of cheap, scammy stuff sold in the USA that's made in the USA and they blow! Just look at the TV infomercials! :D

I refuse to buy Chinese products... if there is a counterpart made in North America, I'd even pay extra.

Here is a quote to think about:

There are 293 million people living in the United States. If each one would shift $20 a month in spending from foreign made products to American made products, that would create 5 million new jobs

There's plenty of cheap, scammy stuff sold in the USA that's made in the USA and they blow! Just look at the TV infomercials! :D

I dont see what the problem is with stuff being made in China.....other then theres a general consensus that stuff from China Sucks.
Only problem is most of your stuff is prolly made in china.

I refuse to buy Chinese products... if there is a counterpart made in North America, I'd even pay extra.

Pull your seagates out....mine say product of China
mouse/keyboard.....China
Monitors.....China

The list goes on.

mouse/keyboard.....China
Monitors.....China

The list goes on.

That does not mean I wont support a domestic brand. Anyways, to refute your point, Seagate is an American company and not all their drives are made in China, it's a crapshoot if you get one from there or not.

Most of my components are USA made were I am able. Some things out there you don't really have a choice (such as TV's)

Here is a quote to think about:

Quote:
There are 293 million people living in the United States. If each one would shift $20 a month in spending from foreign made products to American made products, that would create 5 million new jobs

OR in the real non guilt trip world. If company's wouldn't send SO MANY of the jobs overseas we wouldn't be so screwed and just about forced to buy stuff made in China! And is your American made stuff really made here? Or just delivered and assembled here with China made parts like a lot of US made stuff is? :rolleyes:

I dont see what the problem is with stuff being made in China.....other then theres a general consensus that stuff from China Sucks.
Only problem is most of your stuff is prolly made in china.

mouse/keyboard.....China
Monitors.....China

The list goes on.

The reason there is that consensus is because it's true. Simple item like keyboard or mouse, I'm not picky about that they can be made in China.

But w/ hard drive, the high end SCSI drives are made in Singapore. Even w/ SATA drive, I check w/ dsitributor, and make sure they are from Singapore before I buy them.

Why do you think Futjisu laptop are all made in Japan even as of today?

DVD+R, all of mine are made in Japan, because I rely on those data.

w/ my HP, I bought the highest end Professional workstation, the HW9300, and that thing still have glitches because it's made in China

Anything assemble in China, is a red flag, anything has the word china on it, is a red flag. Why is china product piece of junk? Take a look at how many pets die due to the poison they put in pet food. Take a look at how many babies die due to poison they put in baby milk. Take a look at lead poison from their import toys, the list goes on and on.

If it's assemble in china, I look for another brand name. If it's made in china, I look for another brand name. I called dealer and ask what country make it.

This is a stupid thread. Intel is an american company, they currently make the highest quality consumer level SSD's. Who cares if the casing is placed over the NAND flash in mexico or china? The reviews have already told you how great they are, so stop worrying about things that don't matter. Are they going to poison the casing of your SSD?

This is a stupid thread. Intel is an american company, they currently make the highest quality consumer level SSD's. Who cares if the casing is placed over the NAND flash in mexico or china? The reviews have already told you how great they are, so stop worrying about things that don't matter. Are they going to poison the casing of your SSD?

This.

The country where it is assembled doesn't mean crap.

For a while I worked in many factories. I worked in a knitting mill making medical grade fabric. We shipped all of out products to a plant in Mexico to be stitched together, and the final products said made in Mexico. If someone stopped buying them for a US made product, they would be putting many more Americans out of a job than Mexicans.

On the other side I worked for Polaris for about a year. I was on the engine assembly line. I used to always laugh when I was putting valve covers on. We'd get the steel parts straight from China with the words "Made in the USA" stamped on top. Not a single component on thos engines is made in the US. Americans just do the final assembly. This somehow magically make them made in the US. :rolleyes:

DEFINE "CHINA"?

Though the scumbag Bush administration in an act of placating their Chinese Communist masters, had required all products from TAIWAN to be labeled CHINA, Taiwan is NOT China.

It is our ally and a democratic nation.

Soon this bullshit Bushie nonsense will be recinded under Obama, and Taiwan will once again be able to label thier products "Made in Taiwan". :eek::rolleyes::p

made in taiwan is just as junk as crap made in china.

Could I remind those of you who used to own products such as camcorder, VCR, TV that are made in USA, that these products last many years, vs. junk made in china, that we are lucky if they last thru the warranty

iPhones... iPods... Blackberries... Motorola Razors... Creative Zen DAPs... should we go on? :D

made in taiwan is just as junk as crap made in china.

Could I remind those of you who used to own products such as camcorder, VCR, TV that are made in USA, that these products last many years, vs. junk made in china, that we are lucky if they last thru the warranty

Stereotype much? Taiwan makes much of our consumer electronics, ya know...

:rolleyes:

so $500 for a 80GB SSD made in China is a bit absurd, consider it's just a memory chip inside.
Economics 101. . . the location of the manufacturer, the cost of materials, the ultimate cost of production. . . all of these things are irrelevant (except perhaps as setting a price floor below which the producer will decide not to offer the product).

The price of an item is determined by what the market is willing to pay. Whether it's made in China or on Mars, the market will set the price where the manufacturer makes as much money as possible. Whether that's selling a lot of them at a cheaper price or selling fewer of them at a higher price, the market is the biggest influence.

The cost of that Intel SSD can be approached from this perspective that comes from the medical and pharmaceutical industry:

Medicine isn't expensive, really, and neither are the pills people take for healthcare purposes. But the very first pill of any medicine cost a few billion in research and development, testing, approvals, more testing, etc.

Same thing with the Intel SSD and, to be honest, any product manufactured by any company: the first one off the assembly or manufacturing line is considered to be worth billions... the rest of 'em are market value.

In time this SSD hardware will come down, but is no different from anything else. When TVs first came out, they were insanely priced. People bought 'em anyway, and then color was added and the price skyrocketed back up again, and people still bought 'em.

Same principles...

"There's nothing for you to see here... move along... move along..." :D

DEFINE "CHINA"?

Though the scumbag Bush administration in an act of placating their Chinese Communist masters, had required all products from TAIWAN to be labeled CHINA, Taiwan is NOT China.

It is our ally and a democratic nation.

Soon this bullshit Bushie nonsense will be recinded under Obama, and Taiwan will once again be able to label thier products "Made in Taiwan". :eek::rolleyes::p

Yeah, I bet Obama's shit smells like roses, but I'll let you do the smelling.

If you really think we're going to give China the finger... :rolleyes:

The ASUS and Gigabyte are Taiwan companys. The are best motherboard manufactures. My EVGA vedio card and seagate HD are made in China. MY HP and DELL laptops are made in China too. All them are working perfectly well. Stop posting craps please....

Back