which headphone? $100~ish ($150 max)

atarione

2[H]4U
so... dang it.. when I bought my HARX500s on a whim @ fry's i should have probably held up and thought it thru more.

so... now I'm kinda itchy with better headphones.

I've been banging my head on desk for days... closed design will probably be better cause sometimes the mrs. is in the same room while I'm gaming or using the computer in general... NEED A MAN CAVE..but that will have to come later sadly not an option right now ** sharing a house so my pc is out in living room ...which kinda sucks but just need to work with it right now.)

anyways.. I will mostly use the headphones for gaming, I have SMSL SA-S3 t-amp and Polk T15 speakers which i generally use for music. I will use the headphones for music some not sure how often but I'd like some that are good for that also probably.

considering a number of options

Sony MDR-7506 $100~ish on amazon (can't remember exactly around $100 however) I don't know if these are good for my purposes?

i really loved the looks of the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s ($105 on amazon) then I realized they are a rather horrid purple? and more importantly the open design may be highly problematical give my pc is in the living room if the mrs is watching tv while I game.

So also looks at the ATH-A700 (a900s are probably too expensive) $120 @ amazon

and then I don't even know how many other things looked at on amazon and guitar centers site... sooo.. now that I have given myself a massive headache

I will ask you.. where should my $150 MAX...seriously if they are closer to $100 that would be better but if they are over the $150 i just won't do it right now.

(many things going on in our lives right now..bought new car just got married ...trying to save up for house..so yeah i would like nicer heaphones but i have to draw the line and i draw it at $150 but I'd rather spend less if possible.

edit... oh yeah my sound card is a XonarDG btw if that helps your recommendation processes at all..thanx..

For $150 max (ok these are $159 but its 9 dollars .. don't cheap out on 9 dollars well spent) , it simply doesn't get better than : Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

Nothing comes close at that price range. The only real upgrades start at $250-300.

slippery damn slope =p ...ok i could probably round up $9 more

i was really hoping to find something more @100 but the m50 added to considerations... not sure if i want to spend that much..have to ponder I guess.

I own the Shure 440 and mainly use them for my iPhone. The KRK is alright but I hear its mids are muddy.

Again , you said your max budget is $150 .. save $9 more for it (and a little for shipping) and just get the M50's.

I know your trying to save a buck but I'm betting you rarely buy headphones ? Why not buy something that will not only last but sounds fantastic as well?

For $150 max (ok these are $159 but its 9 dollars .. don't cheap out on 9 dollars well spent) , it simply doesn't get better than : Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

Nothing comes close at that price range. The only real upgrades start at $250-300.

The ATH-M50 for gaming?

What kind of material are the ATH-M50's ear cups made out of? It doesn't look like your typical pleather, it looks like better quality material. Anyone? Anyone have any comments on the comfort level of the M50's over a few hours?

What kind of material are the ATH-M50's ear cups made out of? It doesn't look like your typical pleather, it looks like better quality material. Anyone? Anyone have any comments on the comfort level of the M50's over a few hours?

Here is a video review : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9wICEbA5DA

They are quite good for gaming , comfortable to wear over the long term and built well so they won't fall apart without serious user intervention.

The ear pads of the m50 are made of pleather. Not the most comfortable either. The thing with the m50's when I owned them, is that the clamping force is very strong. I don't have a large head just average maybe. But I couldn't wear them for more than about an hour tops. Now, I loved the sound signature of these headphones...one of my favorites actually. There are incredibly detailed and accurate in the mids and upper register while having a strong impactful bass as well.

But the comfort level was not for me and I sold them for $100 less than two weeks after I got them. I spent $220 on a pair of Denon d2000 and can wear them all day. Sound is actually better across the board.

M50 are fine for recreational gaming but not for competitive...IMO

I find them to be quite comfortable on my large dome , the clamping force is a bit stronger but the pads aren't incredibly cheap just typical.

I think $220 too far out of this guy's budget otherwise that's probably what I would recommend lol. Also if you are competitive gaming than you need very light , closed headphones with an excellent sound stage. But I don't think that's what he's doing.

My next pair of cans in fact will be the Denon 2000's actually , can't wait.

If you get the Samson Sr850, remove the stock pads and replace them with the akg 240 velor pads you will basically have an ATH M50 with a bigger sound stage and more comfortable pads for around $85.

If you get the Samson Sr850, remove the stock pads and replace them with the akg 240 velor pads you will basically have an ATH M50 with a bigger sound stage and more comfortable pads for around $85.

That seems like a very good idea, especially if you're looking for quality on a budget. My only qualm with those headphones is that they aren't closed. Suggestions?

The Samsons are semi-closed. They leak as much sound a lot of light clamping closed headphones. If you really need to cut sound leakage, the Shure 440 mentioned earlier would be a great bet.

Recently i picked up samson sr850's and loved them and I been using some JVC harx 700's I have had for 2 days and for $33 they are fucking outstanding. In fact I think they are my favorite gaming can as they are a little more neutral and still have soundstage. I gamed on 700's for a long time also BTW which are widely considered the best for gaming.

You don't have to spend alot of money always, there's some good cheap cans out there, sr 850's, harx 700's and a set of panasonics in the same price range.
I really want a pair of AKG 701s and Denon 2000's though, I had a pair of closed back 900's for a while and still own dt770 pro 80 ohm phones.

They do look promising but keep in mind that they haven't been around for a while and even though they are rebranded no one really knows how they will cope sonic wise over time. They are said to sound very similar to the AD900.

You are welcome to become the guinea pig for this forum and let us know what you think but you might also end up disliking them because the biggest plus that's been stated is that they are very flat and neutral sounding which some people dislike. Some people love bright , fast headphones that have a stronger dynamic range than a balanced , level set of headphones that tend to temp highs and lows to a more even sound stage.

But you won't have any idea how they really sound until you are past the 200+ hour mark when a nice long proper burn in period has been observed.

If you do plan to get them use a dedicated sound card not some on board realtek garbage. In order for them to shine , a proper DAC ( be it internal or external) must be considered.

Let us know if you end up getting them. If you pre-order now you should get in on the shipment coming at the end of the month.

+1 on these. I have them and I have to agree, bang for the buck, nothing comes close to touching them for under $300. Check out headfi.org - there's a reason they are ranked #6 among all headphones there...

+1 on these. I have them and I have to agree, bang for the buck, nothing comes close to touching them for under $300. Check out headfi.org - there's a reason they are ranked #6 among all headphones there...

Yes there is a reason. New users who parrot "Buy the M50's" to anyone with a budget of $150 max. They are very good headphones, but I would never recommend them for gaming headphones. The HD 25-1 II is ranked #3 and I wouldn't recommend those for gaming either. Neither one have a great soundstage.

FTR the Denon D2000 can be had for around $220 but you'll have to call since shops cant advertise that low under msrp.

There are a lot of good headphones at around the $200 mark, I kind of have my doubts that not a one of them is better than the closed M50.

Yes there is a reason. New users who parrot "Buy the M50's" to anyone with a budget of $150 max. They are very good headphones, but I would never recommend them for gaming headphones. The HD 25-1 II is ranked #3 and I wouldn't recommend those for gaming either. Neither one have a great soundstage.

FTR the Denon D2000 can be had for around $220 but you'll have to call since shops cant advertise that low under msrp.

D2000 which is over budget and without a proper sounding DAC/AMP will sound not even close to what they can.

Not sure why the HD25-1 comparison was even warranted. The M50's are just great all around headphones , they don't exceed in one area more than any other but they are a fantastic jack of all trades pair of headphones. Its easy to recommend them because its a safe bet that most people will find them very pleasing sonic wise. They also are easy to drive and not everyone wants to spend another $200+ on a decent DAC/AMP.

And what shops will offer the D2000 for around $220? I'd love to hear which ones so I can call and verify this because I would actually love a pair and have NEVER seen them that cheap or even approaching that.

The D2000 was only a rebuttal to best can under $300 is the M50. HD 25-1 II because highly ranked doesn't mean it's good for the op needs. Btw, while a nice amp/dac is always better than onboard or mp3 player, the D2000 can be driven with ease by just about anything with it's low impedance and high sensitivity.

The M50 is a nice all around headphone, but not particularly great for the op needs and price range.

btw Godmachine check pm

And what shops will offer the D2000 for around $220? I'd love to hear which ones so I can call and verify this because I would actually love a pair and have NEVER seen them that cheap or even approaching that.

They used to sell for around $200 a couple years ago. That is when I got my D2000. I remember Denon prices fluctuating a lot back then. I guess they stabilized to where they are today.

ok so the K540s out i guess.. kinda wondered why there are no reivews and why they are marked down so much.

went to guitar center ..which sort of helped except they didn't have half of what i've been looking at in stock

they let me try the Shure 840s (which where $200 there...ouch but are $132 at buy.com..) LOVED them sounded awesome (using my smrt phone..and some mp3s)

but now i have a couple questions cause someone linked to some DT770s from ebay and then the 840s I saw on buy.com... so should i assume ebay (even if new) are going to be about out of luck on any sort of warranty coverage? .. GC was a authorized dealer for all the ones they have

how big of a concern should i have about this.

the other concern on ebay type things is how to be sure if they are legit and not knock offs?

anyways ... if that helps / if anyone could shed light on my new questions.

so to recap.. listened to the Shure 840s and liked them alot.. but they didn't have the M50 or DT770 or the Sony V6 or 7506...or basically f*** all else i actually want in stock.

how much better are the Shure 840s then the 440s ???

thanx everyone for the advice so far.

so... as it turns out the mrs has grown weary of my bitching about my JVC ;) and since I said she should buy some boots she wanted, she has granted WAF for new headphones /DAC/AMP whatever.. to $250 now... SOOooo I'm not sure i want to spend that much but i could GO NUTS apparently now if I want..or sort of nuts up to $250.

I'm a bit torn about doing this cause we need to save money for a number of things and (well not that y'all need to know..but maybe will help some understand why with the money and wife green lighting (if you are single someday you will understand the importance of WAF...if you are lucky i guess...anyways...) unfortunately my wife has cancer... we are lucky in that we have fairly kick ass insurance and so far the treatment has gone quite well...still makes me cautious to spent monies right now.

alright then on that happy note... thanx for all the help so far

if anyone can vouch for the DT770s off ebay as seeming pretty certainly legit / and or comment on warranty concerns that would be super...

Dt770s are durable as headphones get. Since I have not heard an unmodified pair in years, I can't comment on their sound. You will be happy with those. They are at least as good as the Shure 840s and are probably better for games.

i have a xonar DG this card could drive the DT 770 (or other ones i've been looking @ ) on it's own?

I still argue against the DT 770 which are actually siting on the table next to me , they aren't that great for what they cost. Even with a nice DAC/AMP they still don't fair as well as other cans. But of course sound like anything is user subjective.

I'm sticking to my M50 guns on this one :) But yes the DG should be able to drive the DT 770 unless you buy a pair with a higher ohm rating. You want the DT 770 32ohm version or the 80ohm version , NOTHING above that without a better sound card or a proper headphone amp.

M50 are not all that comfortable. The pads are on the thin side and are pleather which makes my ears sweat but I guess it depends on how big your head and ears are. Shure (I have 840) are more comfortable with thicker pads but still sweat and are a heavy headphone. For long gaming sessions and good SQ Sennehiser and beyerdynamic are the way to go. I have Senn HD595 and beyerdynamic 990pro. Both are great for music and gaming because they both have soft velour pads and are light. You can get Senn HD555 in your price bracket and they use the same driver as HD595.

Huh? Way off on that one.

Look, leave the M50s alone. The sound stage is not right for gaming. Too small. Ok for music but that is about it.

Get either the 770, 840 or the Brainwavz and you will be happy.

Sound stage of the M50s is pretty much the best thing about it , I hear zero complaints from people who game and own them.

Agree to disagree there.

The Brainwavz's look interesting but they haven't been around long and considering how good of a deal they are for the sound they are supposedly reproducing I'm wary.

Just out of interest, what level of headphones can a Titanium HD soundcard drive? The specs mention 330 ohms but what is a realistic max that you would use on this soundcard?

Can you add an AMP between the soundcard and the headphones and still keep things like CMSS3D intact? Are there solutions like this that would drive 600 ohm headphones?

so... i think ** (haven't pulled trigger yet) I may have decided

I can get the DT 770Pro80 headphones for $169.99 from a authorized dealer (musician's friend $199.99 but %15 off promo code till teh 28th.)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80-closed-studio-headphones

I liked the brainwaves till i realized they have double ended cables (hope i am wording that right..) but i can't stand having a headphone wire going to each side ...i had headphones like that once and it drove me nuts...

i have read and read... and got a lot of feedback here.. and I think those DT770s will be good for what i want to use them for.

I have no idea why but the M50s have failed to speak to me

I have to admit that from looks alone the AD700 (except for the horrid colors) or the AD900 where very tempting...sadly they both would be a poor investment for my needs as my wife would almost certainly not be happy if i used open headphones.

but blah blah blah...

anyone care to comment on how good / BAD an idea this thing off ebay would be??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120854636224?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

?????

ATM i have my speakers and Headphones on a y-splitter cause my DG doesn't let you reassign ports .

that device on ebay (if it didn't ..and it may well ..suck) would allow me to solve the y-splitter problem...and would stay below my new $250 max targets.

the other main option i was considering was getting this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-design-...557?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebb87b46d (over budget..with the DT770s)

or more likely this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMSL-SD-793...459?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4162d82823

$56~ shipped which would be in budget..

either of the last two devices I would hook up to the optical port (or usb on the first one ..if that would be better?) of my DG and then to my SA-S3 t-amp for my speakers

i am also watching a auction for a Creek headphone amp on ebay that i might possibly be jumping on if it stays low enough?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just out of interest, what level of headphones can a Titanium HD soundcard drive? The specs mention 330 ohms but what is a realistic max that you would use on this soundcard?

Can you add an AMP between the soundcard and the headphones and still keep things like CMSS3D intact? Are there solutions like this that would drive 600 ohm headphones?

As long as it's not a headphone with low sensitivity, you should get decent volume level. 1Vrms isn't that much power, but some headphones don't need much more. Yes you can add an amp after the soundcard and keep the cmss3d. You will be double amping the signal, but it's not a problem most of the time. Usually it helps the soundcard since the load of driving the headphone is much greater than driving an amp with an input impedance usually 10K+. You'll basically be using your soundcard as a dac/pre-amp.

Back