Which HDTV should i get....

Pioneer is closing their plasma factories and is going to start using Panasonic glass. I'm unsure of the date however. Truely a sad day (not that Panasonic glass is anything to sneeze at either...)

I keep seeing this FUD posted around here and there.

Pioneer's first-gen Kuro is on the trailing end of the 8G model year. Pioneer is manufacturing the glass for their next model year, the 9G Kuro.

Panasonic will manufacture the 10G Kuro panels in their own plants, but they will be built to Pioneer specs. This is a FAR cry from Pioneer using Panasonic glass.

There is a really decent chance that this will enhance Pioneer panels by allowing them to keep the quality high while they reduce costs significantly enough to be more price competitive.

I don't see anyone complaining that Samsung manufacturers the glass for Sony's current LCDs.

Thanks for the info about the 10G Kuros. It's been a while since I've been on the Displays forum on AVS, so I cruised over there to catch up on the latest scoop. It IS going to be Panasonic glass (if you want to argue symantics) with Pioneer guts so they should be amazing. It'd be nice to see 10G 60" Kuros for around $2500.

Very informative thread, I am also looking at getting a new HDTV, I went to my local best buy and I have narrowed my choices down to: (from first choice) all 1080P
42in Panasonic Viera Plasma
42in LG LCD
40in Samsung LCD

I'm going to be ordering one of these from lcdtvs.com or I may just go there and get one...

But I see that no one has given LG praise, is it a bad brand in regard to HDTV's? I thought it and the Samsung were pretty damn close in overall quality though the "Samsung looked a bit smoother in frame rate"

But from what I have seen, I'm pretty set on that panasonic, just curious about LG

Should I buy online to save money? or should i always buy from stores like best buy compusa or something? are there any stores i should avoid?

Personally, I bought mine from Newegg. I watched prices for a couple months at retail stores, but Newegg's prices were better then the retail stores. When the price came down to what I wanted, I bought the TV. Shipping was extra, but was less then tax would have been, so it worked out fine.

When buying the 4065 sammy, i looked everywhere for the best price. Ended up being Amazon, with free shipping, WITH a limited warranty.

Amazon beat newegg on this particular tv by 200 bucks. For sure, I would check them out. Besides, the free shipping was great.

That's the TV I bought, that I paid $1600 with shipping for. I'm happy with my purchase and would have been ecstatic to pay that price, especially with 10% off!

Umm, I dont live where you do and strangely perhaps, most of the readership here doesnt either.

Also why are you going on about 1024x768 res plasmas, they are NOT the holy grail and are not what I was talking about.
I'm glad you use a projector but what has that got to do with the price of fish?
Why havent you bought a 1080P plasma if they are so cheap?

It was basically a FYI post. If you have an issue with that then TFB. But I think it is quite obvious that I am calling someone a liar when they claim LCD is for paupers when they cost about the same as a comparable size plasma.

Back