Which HDTV should i get....

Hyperian

Limp Gawd
So it's time for me to finally get rid of the ol' tube tele and get a HDTV.

I have some requirements like it has to be close to 50", energy star, and 1080p. Lets ignore the cost for now.

I am kind of stuck because i dont know if i should get a LCD or a plasma. I've read that plasma are better for a 50" but all the information i've came across is around a year and two years old so i dont know how accurate they are for 2008. They also say LCD are only good below 37" but i'm seeing 50" LCD at costco.

I've also read that plasmas dont usually come with QAM tuner (HD tuner?) for HD content. I dont like that since i use comcast and i believe i need to pay monthly to use their HD box. If i can i would like not to buy their tuner and use the one in TV. I dont use on demand or HBO type channels anyway.

If anyone has an exact model for me to check out and not just general advice please give model number :)

The reason no one has posted an answer is because there is no “best set” out there. This subject is a hot potato almost totally associated with opinions on each persons personal likes as to what they feel is the best picture quality and features.

Personally I like a plasma but there will be 10 others that like LCD better. There is no right or wrong on this subject. The best way to solve this problem is to go out and discover what is out there in the stores around you and hang out playing with the remotes of the ones you think you like the best (if they let you).

The best place to see the personal opinions on particular models is to go to AVSForum and spend 40+ hours. You will either be totally confused or considerably more focused after visiting the site but it is the best place to see why someone purchased or did not purchase a particular model.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

I agree, its really hard work trying to find a set that is good enough in all respects.
I've started a simple database to log everything I found for the sets I'm looking at so I can do quick comparisons.
My conclusion for now is to wait a bit longer for LED backlighting LCDs to take off.
This should give reduced power consumption, wider colour range and better contrast ratios that will compete well with plasma sets for quality.

For the short term, if you watch a lot of sports and want it to look supreme, plasma is the best.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sort of expecting opinions anyway but i thought there would be more clear cut answer since so many sites say pros and cons of plasma/LCD.

If you have the money and can afford to buy/run a big plasma, you have the holy grail already.
Paupers and planet respecters need an alternative and boy is it complicated to weed through the crap the manufacturers push at us.
Without reviews of new sets, its very hard to know how they really perform.
Roll on laser TV, your time is now!

Samsung 46" 1080p LCD TV

I've got one of these and I love it. I got the 3rd from the top model as the other 2 above it have the matte black finish and I like the piano black finish. It doesn't have the 500,000:1 contrast ratio that their top model has but it's got 20,000:1 and it rocks.

It doesn't have the 500,000:1 contrast ratio that their top model has but it's got 20,000:1 and it rocks.
That's inflated dynamic contrast numbers. While it may be much better than prior generation LCD's it isn't a true 20,000:1. But if the OP goes LCD then 1080P is def the way to go.

Just a friendly heads up to the OP while he's comparing the different technologies

Samsung 46" 1080p LCD TV

I've got one of these and I love it. I got the 3rd from the top model as the other 2 above it have the matte black finish and I like the piano black finish. It doesn't have the 500,000:1 contrast ratio that their top model has but it's got 20,000:1 and it rocks.

Nice, thats a S-IPS, you can tell be the 178 degree viewing angle.
Is their any noticeable ghosting or lag?

I recently owned a 5ms 37" S-IPS and there was a tiny tiny amount of ghosting but it was absolutely fine for fast FPS use.
The lag wasnt quite so good though, I had to set 30ms in Guitar Hero III

I agree with SJetski71, the real contrast ratio on your set will be nearer 1500:1 which is still pretty good for an LCD.
If using the TV with a PC, 1080p is a must imho :)

If you have the money and can afford to buy/run a big plasma, you have the holy grail already.
Paupers and planet respecters need an alternative and boy is it complicated to weed through the crap the manufacturers push at us.

50" 1080P Plasma is about the same price as 50" 1080P LCD where I live so what is this about paupers?

It comes down to this for me. Plasma has better black level quality but shorter life span. LCD has not so great black quality and have issues with viewing angles, they have sharper image and longer lifespan. If you can find an LCD with good black levels and decent viewing angles then I would go with the LCD.

I use an LCD projector and my only real complaint about it is the black levels look bad if you don't turn off the lights. I have a friend with a cheapish 42" plasma and his blacks look all mottled, worse than my LCD projector. Only thing I can think that is causing that is that his plasma has native res of 1024x768. I noticed a lot of the older plasma screens used 1024x768 native res. That's not even an HD res and the only way they could use that res and still maintain correct 16:9 aspect ratio was if they used rectangular pixels. What was their reasoning behind using 1024x768 native res besides cost?

50" 1080P Plasma is about the same price as 50" 1080P LCD where I live so what is this about paupers?

Umm, I dont live where you do and strangely perhaps, most of the readership here doesnt either.

Also why are you going on about 1024x768 res plasmas, they are NOT the holy grail and are not what I was talking about.
I'm glad you use a projector but what has that got to do with the price of fish?
Why havent you bought a 1080P plasma if they are so cheap?

And arguments about plasma lifespan are pretty moot. The life spans of the latest generation are longer than CRTs. By the time the phospors wear out, you'll have been drooling over the latest 4000p sets...

Also, my Pioneer 6010 tunes the few HD channels that our local cable company (Cox) is kind enough to send out un-encrypted. We just have the expanded basic (no cable box) service and get ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX and PBS in HD.

thanks for all the advice, i actually think i should put DLP back into the picture if there's a good one since i read a good point where DLP only needs bulb replacement and the picture is as good as new but LCD and plasma only goes down hill from when you bought it. (atleast i thought it's a good point)

at the moment i'm looking at this special costco only at costco AQUOS LC-C4654U. it's in their front page and seems like lot of people like it.

I think in the end i should look at reviews for each good deal and see if it's good or not...

I was in same situation. Spent about 15 hrs doing research on the subject.

Ended up getting the Samsung 40 inch 1080p, Glossy Screen. I checked out all the different types, and what is better for what type of use. I am 100 percent happy with my decision.

Got it for cheap on amazon as well. Plays my upconverted dvds great, and my bluray from my pc via dvi to hdmi.

Well there are a few simple rules I followed when buying a TV..

For the most part, LCD has the worst color reproduction and black levels of any type of TV at the moment. If you want accurate colors, and great black levels, and you want to stay in the flat-panel region, plasma is your best bet.

If you do go plasma, people will say that burn-in doesn't exist anymore, but it definitely can happen if you aren't careful. Google plasma break in, and read about it, and if it sounds like too much work for you, maybe plasma isn't your route.

Now, I personally have a 55" Sony SXRD. I think rear projection is the way to go, if you have the room for it. People seem to have this odd perception that rear projection TVs are hideously ugly and heavy, when most weigh about the same as their LCD or plasma counterparts. My TV is something like 80lbs, and a 52" Sony LCD weighs 93lbs WITHOUT the stand(and costs $4000!).

I paid something like $1800 for my set, it's 1080p, 55", has something like a 2.5ms response time, and 20,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. It's #2 on cnet's top 10 list for TVs (http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs-overall/). Oh, I also returned a 40" Samsung for this TV, one of the best decisions I've made.

Anyways, I'm ranting now. My point is do your research, a TV is a big purchase. :)

I was in same situation. Spent about 15 hrs doing research on the subject.

Ended up getting the Samsung 40 inch 1080p, Glossy Screen. I checked out all the different types, and what is better for what type of use. I am 100 percent happy with my decision.

Got it for cheap on amazon as well. Plays my upconverted dvds great, and my bluray from my pc via dvi to hdmi.

Any chance you can tell us the model.
I'm in the market for a 40" as well :)

Now, I personally have a 55" Sony SXRD. I think rear projection is the way to go, if you have the room for it. People seem to have this odd perception that rear projection TVs are hideously ugly and heavy, when most weigh about the same as their LCD or plasma counterparts. My TV is something like 80lbs, and a 52" Sony LCD weighs 93lbs WITHOUT the stand(and costs $4000!).

I paid something like $1800 for my set, it's 1080p, 55", has something like a 2.5ms response time, and 20,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. It's #2 on cnet's top 10 list for TVs (http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs-overall/). Oh, I also returned a 40" Samsung for this TV, one of the best decisions I've made.

Sadly not available in the UK :(

Sadly not available in the UK :(

Eh, it's not really available anywhere anymore, hehe. They stopped production of them to focus on their LCD line.

Plus with the coming of Laser and OLED in the consumer market, all the current RP sets will be phased out.

like they said its a HOT potato.
LCD cheaper to operate than Plasma thats for sure.

LCD get 120mhz and 10 bit processor.
samsung>sony>toshiba
price wise sony>samsung >>>>>>>toshiba regza

probably get a toshiba 550 around 2K
sony 4K
samsung 3.2IK
look at a samung in store and it blows everything out of the water on brightness and color

they are all WAYYYYYY overpriced
but the toshiba is best for the price

me I have a sony A3000 55in best bang for the buck and GREAT pic but alas it was discontinued because sony could not rape the buyers on it.

There are a lot of things that you need to consider when buying a HDTV and hopefully some of these suggestions will help you.

First thing you should do is set a limit for yourself, there’s no reason to look at more expensive TV’s unless you’re welling to pay the price. With that said, the old saying is true, you get what you pay for, so if your only pay $1,000 don’t expect it to be top of the line. I’m not saying the $1,000 HDTV is bad, but the way that I look at it is would you rather save some money, or after a couple of months be disappointed with what you bought.

Next thing you should do is figure out what you will primarily be watching on your HDTV, movies, regular TV programs, sports, and if your interested in doing Blu-Ray. If your interested in Blu-Ray, make sure the HDTV your getting does 1080p. The reason to figure out what you’re going to be watching on your HDTV is what can determine if you want LCD or Plasma. If you’re really into movies get Plasma. LCD’s cannot produce true black, and Plasma’s well have deeper colors for a better picture. If your just going to be watching regular TV programming, go with an LCD.

Some of the main cons and pros of LCD’s and Plasma’s are LCD’s are usually cheaper and usually better for 42” and below, but their viewing angle isn’t as good and they can’t produce true black colors. Plasmas are usually better for 50” and above, have deep colors and usually no issue with viewing angle, but their usually not as cheap as LCD’s, they do have a half-life, but by the time that happens you’ll probably be looking at the next generation of TVs.

Some other tips for you, I would highly suggest that wherever you buy your HDTV to buy it from a department store for several reasons. First, most online sites will not let you return your HDTV. I’ve read lots of post about people saying they got a bad TV and couldn’t return it. Second reason you should really go in the stores and look at them in person. You’ll be able to get a feel for it and it will help you with your choice, but word of caution. Most stores jack up the settings on the TV to make them look really bright and change the lighting to make them look pretty; just be aware of this. One other thing you should do is bring a couple of movies with you that you know have really dark and bright scenes and watch it on the TV, this is good way to test out the TV before you get it back home and realize it wasn’t as good as you thought it was. If the sales person refuses to let you play the movies you brought in, then just walk away, there’s no reason why you can’t and you should test it out as much as you can before you buy it.

In the end go with what you think looks the best to you. There is a lot of information out there and hope some of this helped, but you are the only one that can decide what looks good to you and what doesn’t.

If your interested, the HDTV I chose is this one: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/350723126PRO-1140HD.pdf

Viewing TVs in stores is a losing proposition unless you get the chance to play with the settings. Most TVs are set to torch mode to attract passers-by. To get down to how the TV performs in your home you should do as LiquidFlame says and bring your own choice of video to sample. I would add that you should, under no circumstance, put up with substandard help, either.

One other consideration is the lighting of the room you will be watching the set in. If it's really bright a lot of the time you may want to move towards LCD. Anything else you should go with plasma as the PQ is better than LCD. You really cannot do any better today than Pioneer but Panasonic comes really close at about 2/3rds of the price.

Pioneer Kuro. Anywhere anybody says anything about this TV is that it is the best.

edit: It's a plasma, which is what you should get since you will greatly appreciate their contrast ratio and much better blacks. Trust me, it's worth it to get a screen with good blacks. I myself have a high quality LCD ( 46" Sony XBR2 ) which is amongst the top in LCDs but dark scenes still don't look that good.

Another vote for the Kuro's...I've got a 6010 and love it. But then again, it's easy for us to spend your money.

The lower end Pioneer Kuro's are only 1024x768 though, not really HD, the others cost a packet.

Pioneer Kuro. Anywhere anybody says anything about this TV is that it is the best.

edit: It's a plasma, which is what you should get since you will greatly appreciate their contrast ratio and much better blacks. Trust me, it's worth it to get a screen with good blacks. I myself have a high quality LCD ( 46" Sony XBR2 ) which is amongst the top in LCDs but dark scenes still don't look that good.

Aren't they phasing out the Kuro's? I read that somewhere...?

Pioneer is closing their plasma factories and is going to start using Panasonic glass. I'm unsure of the date however. Truely a sad day (not that Panasonic glass is anything to sneeze at either...)

Pioneer is closing their plasma factories and is going to start using Panasonic glass. I'm unsure of the date however. Truely a sad day (not that Panasonic glass is anything to sneeze at either...)

wtfisthisshit? Why? Cost reduction?

I just got a samsung ln46a650 samsung. It was released 3 weeks ago. 120hz for better gaming. Quite expensive tho.

Thanks for all the input, I will probably go with plasma or DLP, since the room will not be that bright most of the time. I am going to get some video and have them play it for me in the store hehe. Now i just need to wait til a good deal comes.

I just bought a 42PFL5603D 42" Philips LED backlit TV that only consumes 70W !!
Its rated at 5mS and have seen it reported to be 2mS so it looks like a tweaked TN with 176 degree viewing angle.
It will be interesting to see how well it handles colour as it has a superior backlight colour gamut (to most LCDs).

This will save me £100+ a year on electricity compared to a normal 42" LCD and should easily last 3 years which is all I need.

I've got the Samsung LNT5265F at Fry's for $1800 around the holidays and love it. My friend picked up a 50" Kuro around the same time. Yeah the Kuro had better blacks but unless you've got it in a dedicated home theater room I think it's overkill. For everday use the Samsung is great and cost a lot less.

We have the Samsung 61" LED DLP downstairs. Looks amazing on my 360 with HDMI. I am getting the same one only the 50" version for my gameroom soon.

I just bought a 42PFL5603D 42" Philips LED backlit TV that only consumes 70W !!
Its rated at 5mS and have seen it reported to be 2mS so it looks like a tweaked TN with 176 degree viewing angle.
It will be interesting to see how well it handles colour as it has a superior backlight colour gamut (to most LCDs).

This will save me £100+ a year on electricity compared to a normal 42" LCD and should easily last 3 years which is all I need.

Some extra info in case its useful as this set is turning out to be much better than anticipated in some ways and a little different in others.
The set is the Philips 42PFL5603D, 42" 1080p LED lit LCD TV, 29,000:1 contrast, 500cd/m2 brightness.
It comes in 42", 47" and 52" sizes.

I havent got it yet but Philips released the specs in pdf form (7 days ago it seems).
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl5603d_27/42pfl5603d_27_pss_aen.pdf
Full manual
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl5603d_27/42pfl5603d_27_dfu_aen.pdf

Power is 75W with full dimming and 240W max.
It has an ambient light sensor to automatically reduce the brightness if needed.
The panel is 178 degree view angle, 5mS so is most likely one of the new S-IPS panels which I have experienced (same specs) and it was very good, excellent for gaming and the best colour rendering of all LCD panels.
This panel is coupled with Extended Gamut LED lighting so it should be pretty nice.

PC is supported via HDMI and quite a lot of resolutions are available.
Swivel base, BIOS updates are done via USB and it supports MP3 and jpg playback.
Analogue/Digital TV tuners and a Cable TV tuner too!
The sound (25W, 4 speaker stereo) is reported to be quite good, which will be handy if watching telly at the same time the hifi is switched to PC.
4 x HDMI, 3 are HDMI 1.3 and HDCP seems to be supported but I need to get confirmation.

If anyone wants to know what its like in use on a PC, let me know and I'll make a new thread or add info here.
It should be here by Tues 29th.

Samsung 4065.

Like I said, an amazing tv. I do not agree with a few of the posts here, espically with rear projection. Plasma and LCD imo are your options. I put in the time, and the above is what I ended up with. And I love it. You can see my review on amazon, under the Samsung 4065, sort by date, around march, or search reviews (B.Kowal)

Samsung 4065.

Like I said, an amazing tv. I do not agree with a few of the posts here, espically with rear projection. Plasma and LCD imo are your options. I put in the time, and the above is what I ended up with. And I love it. You can see my review on amazon, under the Samsung 4065, sort by date, around march, or search reviews (B.Kowal)

Better picture than LCD, cheaper than both plasma and LCD, what's wrong with RP?

After having 61" there's no way I could ever go back to something in the 40" range. That's not a TV, that's a computer monitor.

Since people are saying to buy HDTV in stores cause then you can see the TVs and if you buy it online if something goes wrong you have to send it back and stuff...

is there any store i should shun away from? cause i'm thinking of buying from places like bestbuy and frys but i dont know about compusa cause i remember they suck...

We have the Samsung 61" LED DLP downstairs. Looks amazing on my 360 with HDMI. I am getting the same one only the 50" version for my gameroom soon.

I have the 50" version and like it a lot.

TVb.jpg

TVa.jpg

Should I buy online to save money? or should i always buy from stores like best buy compusa or something? are there any stores i should avoid?

Back