which GTX 770 to go for??

XenatR

Limp Gawd
hi guys, im seriously considering gtx 770, as its performance is awesome, and contains self-recording features which appeal to me (i havent heard anything about next gen amd coming out with this tech also

i wanted to pair it with my Phenom 955 @ 3.9ghz, i know i will likely have a bottleneck, but i cant afford to upgrade both gfx and cpu

anyway, all the following cards are roughly the same price, i was wondering which to go for:

Gigabyte GTX 770 WindForce OC
Palit GTX 770 JetStream 2
ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II OC
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked ACX
MSI GTX 770 Gaming

It's a decent card but its not better than a 7970.

It's a decent card but its not better than a 7970.
its most certainly better overall than the plain 7970 at 1080. its even slightly faster overall than the 7970 ghz at 1080. really just depends on the games and settings being used.

OP please list your resolution.

I would go with one that exhausts out the back of your PC and is as close as possible to stock clocks. My experience with those factory OC'd carts is that they suck significantly more power (and make more noise as a consequence).

I'm waiting to pick one of these up that come with the reference cooler but I havent seen one yet..

The windforce cards seem to be best, as they have the most ventillation.

Extreme cards are a trade off, as they run a little hotter, but, are overclocked from the factory.

The 770 and 7970 Ghz are close, with the 770 being superior in most cases, especially low resolutions, and the 7970 Ghz edging it out at higher resolutions because of the 3GB 384-Bit setup vs 2GB 256-Bit. However, you can buy a 770 4GB for $450 which will negate a lot of that at higher resolutions, still being moderately limited by the 256-bit bus, however.

I don't know if there will be a 770 Reference since that is usually the first version that is released. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one.

As for the rest, my top choice would be the EVGA ACX followed (in no specific order as both seem excellent) by the ASUS DCII and MSI TF Gaming. I know that some of the reviews I read, for the 780 not the 770, showed the ACX being 15%+ cooler than Reference at full load. That cooler is quite impressive.

HOWEVER, as I'm sure you've heard, if you don't have excellent airflow in your case OR if you are planning on a multi-gpu setup (maybe excluding 2 cards only if your airflow is top notch) then you would want a reference style that exhausts hot air out the back instead of releasing it into your case as the aftermarket coolers do. In that scenario, though, you're most likely going to be going under water and not trying to aircool 3 or 4 of these so it shouldn't be an issue.

I hope this helps. :)

EVGA>(had one imported crazy ass rock solid card never gave up on me once)MSI> (making stable bad asss cards past 4 years till now , and are very affordable) >ASUS (tbh i gave up on ASUS altogether ...way to fanbloated) >Gigabyte (Never had one so ..)

I got the EVGA ACX cooled GTX770 and I am loving it. It is idling at 35C which is like 40 C cooler than my old EVGA 480. Great card in my opinion

I got the EVGA ACX cooled GTX770 and I am loving it. It is idling at 35C which is like 40 C cooler than my old EVGA 480. Great card in my opinion
lol bad comparison. 35C is not all that low. my 660ti has higher voltage and 2.5 x the clockspeed at idle and I am only at 27 C.

The 770 and 7970 Ghz are close, with the 770 being superior in most cases, especially low resolutions, and the 7970 Ghz edging it out at higher resolutions because of the 3GB 384-Bit setup vs 2GB 256-Bit. However, you can buy a 770 4GB for $450 which will negate a lot of that at higher resolutions, still being moderately limited by the 256-bit bus, however.
Not so. Even at higher resolutions the 770 keeps up with or surpasses the 7970ghz slightly (@2560x1600). You cant compare 2 different architectures when stating one card performs better due to the larger bit bus. Heres a performance summary of all games tested at various resolutions:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_770/27.html

lol bad comparison. 35C is not all that low. my 660ti has higher voltage and 2.5 x the clockspeed at idle and I am only at 27 C.

35c is low at idle. 27 is better, obviously, but both are great. The real question is what are the load temps? Throttling could very be the cause of the low idle temps.

I don't know what you have now ,, but I would spend the money on a HD7950 unlocked card and take the rest of cash and drop a FX8350/20 in it and forget the bottleneck.

35c is low at idle. 27 is better, obviously, but both are great. The real question is what are the load temps? Throttling could very be the cause of the low idle temps.

35C is low for this card where I live(Phoenix). Its a constant 115 degress outside and the machine is in a room that is never lower than 86C ambient.(garage was made into computer room, insulation is bad). On full load my ACX is going to 46C. Again my 480GTX idles at 80C.

35C is low for this card where I live(Phoenix). Its a constant 115 degress outside and the machine is in a room that is never lower than 86C ambient.(garage was made into computer room, insulation is bad). On full load my ACX is going to 46C. Again my 480GTX idles at 80C.

86C ambient!!!! That's like 180F!!! How do you survive? :p

Has anyone tried the Gigabyte 770s yet? I honestly just noticed the specs on them in that they are the 2nd highest factory overclock (just barely below the Lightning and WAY above the EVGA SC) and one of the cheapest at $399. I've heard the Windforce coolers are great and that Gigabyte makes quality cards but I have never owned one.

Anyone have any input on this?

Has anyone tried the Gigabyte 770s yet? I honestly just noticed the specs on them in that they are the 2nd highest factory overclock (just barely below the Lightning and WAY above the EVGA SC) and one of the cheapest at $399. I've heard the Windforce coolers are great and that Gigabyte makes quality cards but I have never owned one.

Anyone have any input on this?

Where have you seen the Gigabyte WAY above the EVGA SC unless i am missing some data it dont appear to be much at all :

Gigabyte :

Core Clock: 1137MHz (Std 1046MHz)
Boost Clock: 1189 MHz (Std 1085 MHz)
Stream Processors: 1536 Stream Processors

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130921

EVGA SC :

Core Clock: 1111MHz
Boost Clock: 1163Mhz
CUDA Cores: 1536

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130921

They are ALL nice cards IMO ! :cool:

Regards, :)

I should have specified, I meant in relative terms to all of the base stats. For example, the ASUS DCII is $409 and runs 1058/1110. The highest is the MSI Lightning which runs 1150/1202.

In between, you have the Gigabyte at $399 which runs 1137/1189. The EVGA is $419 and runs 1111/1163. There is ~ 7.5% increase between the Asus at base stats and the Lightning at the highest so it's not a huge margin to begin with. However, in terms of this small of a range and the fact that the Gigabyte is $20 cheaper, it falls only 13 Mhz short of the Lightning while the EVGA comes in at 39 Mhz short of the Lightning. Hopefully, that helps you to see where I'm coming from.

I didn't mean to insult the EVGA at all as I know they are excellent cards and a superb company. It just SHOCKED me that the Gigabyte was actually that close to the Lightning for $50 less. I also read a review where they got another 36 Mhz out of the Gigabyte without ever breaking 75 celcius. It overclocked higher than the Asus, Msi Gaming, Palit Jetstream, and EVGA Reference.

I'll see if I can find a review that compares these two specific cards as they are my front runners right now. I want two for SLI and I can't decide between them.

EDIT:

I can't seem to find a review featuring them both. However, I did find one using the MSI Lightning, Gaming Edition, Asus DCII, and Gigabyte Windforce. Here are the Overclocks and Results they achieved:

JEmg5Zb.png

Last edited:
I had bought an MSI 770 Lightning and it died on me within a week. Replaced it with a Gigabyte Windforce 770 and I am glad I did.

The gigabyte is running 1306 core and 8ghz memory without ever going over 65c at 65% max fan speed.

At those speeds and temps the card is very quiet.

I am definitely leaning toward the Gigabyte. I'm still up in the air on the 4GB vs. 2GB and the Step-Up Program from EVGA seems nice.

It's a tough call. :(

I'm actually debating either the GTX 760 or the GTX 770. I'm sure I'm still getting the 770, but still curious as how the 760 performs next week so I will wait till then. As to which model for the 770, I am probably getting the windforce 4GB version. I've always liked gigabyte's cooler design and lets face it the future is uncertain especially with the new generation consoles coming out. More vram will help more than it can hurt to be honest and only at an extra $50 premium which In my opinion is worth it. I mean you are already paying 400-420 bucks for the 770 so I don't really see adding an extra $50 for 2GB more vram as not worth.

@ narupls,

The 760 Official Performance Numbers are out already. They look to be around 15%+ faster than the 660 Ti but will also be offered in an OC Version and 4GB Version and the Price Range is set at $249-$299. I believe their release date is set for June 25th.

This first review compares the 760 to the 660 Ti and shows the Specs vs the other 700 Series Cards:

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-...rmance-unveiled-15-faster-geforce-gtx-660-ti/

This next graph compares the 760 to the 7950, but it is based on specs and manufacturer predictions, not actual benchmarks:

http://videocardz.com/43099/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-performance-preview

If that pricing is true, that is an extremely attractive price. However, it's obvious those are Nvidia's numbers as it shows the 770 10% ahead of the 7970 Ghz (which we know isn't true), the 760 only 12% slower than the 7970 Ghz (no way possible), and the 7950 Boost trailing the 760 by almost 10%. I think the 760 will be roughly equal with the 7950, faster at lower resolutions and slower at high because of the 7950's 3GB VRAM and 384-Bit Bus.

The problem with the 4GB models of the 770/760 is that, from every discussion and such that I've read on them, the cards will run out of processing power well before they hit the 4GB VRAM cap.

I plan to go with SLI 770s for high frame rates on a 144Hz Monitor w/ Lightboost. However, if I decide to upgrade to triple monitors, I will be swapping them out for 780s because they offer a decent amount more power and 384-Bit Bus.

@ Flogger,

Honestly, I'm not hating on Galaxy b/c I've never owned one of their cards, but the Gigabyte is also $399 with an excellent cooler and it matches the MSI Lightning, which is $50 more, in max overclock. The lightning is an incredible card, though. The cooler on it was 5C cooler than even the Gigabyte at load. I still can't find a direct comparison including the EVGA ACX SC.

Just to toss in pricing:

The 770gtx which is a $400

The 7970 is on sale. You can pricematch on amazon to the newegg deal which is $320 - $20 rebate.

100$ difference is VERY significant. I am reconsidering the 770 now.

edit: I try not to be a fanboy, but I do tend to buy Nvidia, this is the first time in a long time that I am considering otherwise.

@ narupls,

The 760 Official Performance Numbers are out already. They look to be around 15%+ faster than the 660 Ti but will also be offered in an OC Version and 4GB Version and the Price Range is set at $249-$299. I believe their release date is set for June 25th.

This first review compares the 760 to the 660 Ti and shows the Specs vs the other 700 Series Cards:

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-...rmance-unveiled-15-faster-geforce-gtx-660-ti/

This next graph compares the 760 to the 7950, but it is based on specs and manufacturer predictions, not actual benchmarks:

http://videocardz.com/43099/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-performance-preview

If that pricing is true, that is an extremely attractive price. However, it's obvious those are Nvidia's numbers as it shows the 770 10% ahead of the 7970 Ghz (which we know isn't true), the 760 only 12% slower than the 7970 Ghz (no way possible), and the 7950 Boost trailing the 760 by almost 10%. I think the 760 will be roughly equal with the 7950, faster at lower resolutions and slower at high because of the 7950's 3GB VRAM and 384-Bit Bus.

The problem with the 4GB models of the 770/760 is that, from every discussion and such that I've read on them, the cards will run out of processing power well before they hit the 4GB VRAM cap.

I plan to go with SLI 770s for high frame rates on a 144Hz Monitor w/ Lightboost. However, if I decide to upgrade to triple monitors, I will be swapping them out for 780s because they offer a decent amount more power and 384-Bit Bus.

@ Flogger,

Honestly, I'm not hating on Galaxy b/c I've never owned one of their cards, but the Gigabyte is also $399 with an excellent cooler and it matches the MSI Lightning, which is $50 more, in max overclock. The lightning is an incredible card, though. The cooler on it was 5C cooler than even the Gigabyte at load. I still can't find a direct comparison including the EVGA ACX SC.

Yup I actually looked at those graphs you mentioned and yeah if its at the $250-300 price range then it does look pretty interesting. I totally agree with you with the extra vram too. You will probably lose out on raw processing power before you run out of memory. I just like playing big open world games like skyrim and what not and planning to use a good amount of texture mods. I heard skyrim will hit the vram wall pretty quick if you were planning to use some extensive mods on it so that's why I kind of wanted the 4GB version, but I am not sure.

If the 760GTX doesn't have 3Gb of ram then it's a waste IMO for the price.

The http://videocardz.com/43099/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-performance-preview chart means notting really other then Nvidia clocked the card just enough to beat a stock HD7950 boost.

What it doesn't show you is the reason people buy the HD7950 Boost is the massive overclocks it has as it's downclocked to meet a price point as many will match 7970Ghz speeds easy .

Which one card do you think have better cooled VRM's?
MSI GTX 770 TwinFrozr Gaming or Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce?
Both costs the same for me.
I have only midi tower Thermaltake Swing, one 120mm fan in the front and one on the back.
Gigabyte is louder but GPU have less temperatures, but what about VRM's?

I have 770 ordered but now i'm curious about 760 pricing - nvidia slide suggests 20% diffrence so if 760 is 300$ i'm keeping my 770 order but if 760 really falls into 250$ then i think i'll cancel it and go for 760 instead.

I am definitely leaning toward the Gigabyte. I'm still up in the air on the 4GB vs. 2GB and the Step-Up Program from EVGA seems nice.

It's a tough call. :(

Step-up is only nice when new cards will arrive within 90 days of purchase. The new cards have just arrived, so there is nothing to 'step-up' to that's faster 90 days from now.

I used the step-up program twice, but both times I bought my card two months before the new series arrived. Once I traded in my 7800 GT for a 7900 GTX and later I traded my GTX 260-216 for a GTX 285.

The step-up program is nice for those that bought a 600-series card in the last three months and want to step-up to a 700-series card. Buying a 700-series card now makes step-up useless, since no new cards will arrive in the next 90 days.

So based on the specs, would a 760 be enough to game decently at 1440? Was planning on a 770 but if the pricing on the 760s is really sub 300 that makes it a harder choice. I'm going to guess that it probably won't be quite enough.

So based on the specs, would a 760 be enough to game decently at 1440? Was planning on a 770 but if the pricing on the 760s is really sub 300 that makes it a harder choice. I'm going to guess that it probably won't be quite enough.
decently? um well you can just look at 670 reviews to see about how the 760 is going to perform. at that res you will be lowering some settings in demanding games and still not staying anywhere near 60 fps.

Back