Which GTX 580 should I keep?

Which GTX 580 should I keep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

andrew734

n00b
I just got two different Gigabyte GTX 580 cards from Newegg. One is the ordinary stock version of the card. The other is the "Ultra Durable" version, with custom components, PCB, and heatsink, with three quiet-running fans and a slight overclock.

I'm not sure which one to keep. They were the same price, except the stock version came with a coupon for a couple free games. I'm not planning on overclocking the card at all, but I will be running Folding at Home when I'm not at the computer. I've already installed the stock card, and performance is better than the ATI Radeon HD 5870 it replaced.

Since Newegg doesn't give refunds for video card purchases, I'll have to sell the one I choose not to keep on Ebay. I like the stock version because as I said, I don't plan on overclocking it. On the other hand, the Ultra Durable might run cooler and quieter. Which one do you guys think I should keep?

I just got the 570 with the windforce cooler. I love it, stays cool and is pretty quiet. It replaces a 6970 that was artifacting at around 82-83 which was typical load temp for that card. It was weird that it artifacted at that low of a temp...but just saying by comparison the windforce 570 is 15-20 cooler.

edit: running folding@home I'm 56c with 19c ambient. Fans @ 46% and quiet. gpu load 98%, 780MHz (factory OC)

Last edited:
why not keep both? kidding aside I vote to keep the one with the custom cooler. I do so under the assumption folding puts 100% load on the card and it would keep it cooler.

I see the response is overwhelmingly in favor of the Ultra Durable board.

However, there seems to be a problem. When I turn off automatic fan control and set the fan to 40%, and then play Battlefield Bad Company 2, the card crashes the system when the temperature reaches 82 C. I know I should probably keep automatic fan control on, since it isn't too loud under load (I use headphones), but I was thinking that the card shouldn't be crashing until the temperature was well over 90 C.

Any thoughts? I think maybe I'll put the stock card back in and see if it behaves any differently. If so, then I might send the Ultra Durable card back to Newegg for a replacement.

Back