Which GTX 1080? Gigabyte xtreme gaming vs Zotac amp extreme

smodtactical

Limp Gawd
Too big beefy 1080s and I'm looking at getting one of them. No formal reviews on them but some benches on youtube but they aren't apples to apples. Also no temps I can see on zotac amp extreme.

Any thoughts on what you would choose between these? Thanks.

Gigabyte review:

Zotac review:

I need to watch the Zotac video but damn look at that copper Heatsink on the Gigabyte. Covers the vram chips too.

I need to watch the Zotac video but damn look at that copper Heatsink on the Gigabyte. Covers the vram chips too.

Ya its beastly and I love the bigger 100 mm fans on the gigabyte.

But the Zotac seems to have metal covering vram as well, but its not copper, looks like steel (refer to video below at 0:27).

I own gigabyte xtreme 1080, but was also looking at zotac before snagged mine. All I can say is that you won't go wrong with either, though gigabyte has a nice premium package. I can vouch for giga being very cool and silent and that solid copper plate is actually one of the best heatsinks I ever saw if not the best at the moment.

Zotac heat sink:

245fyah.png

Gigabyte heat sink

sp9e34.png

I own gigabyte xtreme 1080, but was also looking at zotac before snagged mine. All I can say is that you won't go wrong with either, though gigabyte has a nice premium package. I can vouch for giga being very cool and silent and that solid copper plate is actually one of the best heatsinks I ever saw if not the best at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback man. Actually ya the big piece of copper looks like it might better than the copper and steel combo of the zotac. But the Zotac definitely is thicker and seems to have a thicker heat sink.

No temps on the Zotac but it seems like the 1080 is quite cool as you suggest. Thanks Raendor.

Thanks for the feedback man. Actually ya the big piece of copper looks like it might better than the copper and steel combo of the zotac. But the Zotac definitely is thicker and seems to have a thicker heat sink.

No temps on the Zotac but it seems like the 1080 is quite cool as you suggest. Thanks Raendor.

No problem. For me the package, extended warranty, heatsink, huge fans and that intetesting ventilation technology for the central fan turned out to be a no brainer when I got a chance to order xtreme at release date. Card is also big but definitely shorter than zotac and takes 2,5 slots where zotac takes 3. Just some things to consider.

So the Zotac has VRM heatsinks separate from the main HSF unlike the Gigabyte which is all one unit? Which would fair better? I'd guess the Gigabyte from the greater surface area but that hasn't worked out so hot with my Asus STRIX 390X temp wise....

Any idea if the G1 has the same Heatsink?

No, it has a simpler heat sink, smaller (80mm) fans. mine gets to 70C at full load and sets the fan accordingly. Usually at ~55%. It is audible, but nothing too bad.

Last edited:
No problem. For me the package, extended warranty, heatsink, huge fans and that intetesting ventilation technology for the central fan turned out to be a no brainer when I got a chance to order xtreme at release date. Card is also big but definitely shorter than zotac and takes 2,5 slots where zotac takes 3. Just some things to consider.

Ya, I loved how big the gigabyte was and thought I was going to be the big man on campus with a huge 1080... then I saw the even bigger Zotac and I was like awwww maybe i should switch. LOL

On the plus side, SLI is more feasible space wise with the thinner gigabyte over the zotac.

The guy who did the review above from tech of tomorrow said the Zotac was at 77 degrees under load and 82 degrees when OC'd but apparently he lives in a warm climate. Pretty bad numbers.... I think the gigabyte extreme does much better. Something like less than 70 even with OC.

Thank goodness I haven't read people suggesting two 480x - "because they are just as efficient as a single 1080 and perform faster on every single game on the planet".

Tired of reading those kind of comments for the last month or so :/

The Zotac looks like a great card. To bad it has a yellow backplate because that color does not gel with anything in my case. A monochrome backplate would be awesome on that beastly frame.

The Zotac looks like a great card. To bad it has a yellow backplate because that color does not gel with anything in my case. A monochrome backplate would be awesome on that beastly frame.

True... but the size of it makes it look super impressive regardless.

Anyone out there have a zotac amp extreme 1080 card?

Thank goodness I haven't read people suggesting two 480x - "because they are just as efficient as a single 1080 and perform faster on every single game on the planet".

Tired of reading those kind of comments for the last month or so :/

A big LOL at that hahaha

just order ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme, ZT-P10800B-10P from newegg this morning. (only 1080 in stock lol)

Should get it next Wednesday. It will go into an alienware graphic adapter though so bench will be a bit lower due to connection being limited.

They probably perform similar. Personally I think the Gigabyte looks better, but you'll likely be fine either way.

The way it sounds with Pascal they will probably perform about the same, depending on the silicon lottery and all.. I also think the Giga Xtreme looks better personally but both look really beefy and bad ass. The back-plate on the Zotac might be a little too "Neill Blomkamp" for a lot of people's tastes though. ;)

The way it sounds with Pascal they will probably perform about the same, depending on the silicon lottery and all.. I also think the Giga Xtreme looks better personally but both look really beefy and bad ass. The back-plate on the Zotac might be a little too "Neill Blomkamp" for a lot of people's tastes though. ;)

lol "Neil Blomkamp" - good stuff.

Yeah they both look great. Zotac scares me a bit because of it's thickness - SLI will be dicey.

Exactly. No matter which one you buy, you're gonna be running at 2050 Mhz. Really doesn't matter beyond cosmetics and fan noise.

Exactly. No matter which one you buy, you're gonna be running at 2050 Mhz. Really doesn't matter beyond cosmetics and fan noise.

From many reports the gigabyte's cooler is fantastic. Still waiting for user reviews for the zotac, im sure it will be great too but i'd like to see the consensus.

Looks like with a CLC system 2.2ghz+ might be doable. I guess the temps need to stay at or under like 50c for those kind of clocks.

I've seen a couple reviews of 1080s with AIO liquid coolers and they didn't pass the 2.1Ghz wall either.

Yeah I think to break that barrier you need a combo of a willing chip and the cooling solution. The review where they put together a hybrid 1080 with the FE they got 2168 or something close solid without throttling. I guess the FE's power delivery is enough to run that speed. I'm thinking about one of those CLC coolers for mine. Seems like a fun project.

Mine runs 2.1 with +100 on core with automatic fan settings in quite warm summer environment now. Could try to push it further, but have no desire now. Gigabyte Xtreme is hand binned btw. Don't know about zotac.

Yep, the "wall" is at 2.1Ghz, and most 1080s won't go higher than 2.05.

Mine runs 2.1 with +100 on core with automatic fan settings in quite warm summer environment now. Could try to push it further, but have no desire now. Gigabyte Xtreme is hand binned btw. Don't know about zotac.

Ya the hand binning is super appealing. When they do that are they mainly just looking at how far the frequencies go?

I believe so.. I am not sure how the binning process actually works but I *think* they do it with a test card that's got a socket on it like a cpu bracket/socket. Checking the ASIC and then some kind of quick frequency test if the ASIC is high enough seems plausible.

just got the card, its a beast so much so it doesn't fit the alienware graphic amp ( not yet anyways :) ) Benchies to come later

Teaser pic.
2016-07-06 14.52.36.jpg

gpuz.gif

Report so far:

Fans:
* The fans don't run on idle.
* I set the fans to 100% and it wasn't that bad, no where near what my 290x do.
* fans slow down when set to 25/30% but never stop

3d mark observations:
* So far without running each test with demo, my load goes up maybe 200-250 watts. Not bat at all. Also the temp hover around 60C with 10% fan and 2025 boost.

Ultra Run- stock with no demo
I scored 5 390 in Fire Strike Ultra

Extreme Run - stock with no demo
I scored 9 864 in Fire Strike Extreme

Strike - stock with no demo
I scored 17 178 in Fire Strike

Ultra - boost 100 w fans @ 100% (boost 2088 and temps 54c
I scored 5 524 in Fire Strike Ultra

Gaming:
So I played GW2 for a few hours last night. Experience was awesome. I had full details turned on running on 3440x1440 resolution. FPS were higher then 60. I didnt spent too much time watching them, but while playing i didnt notice any slow downs or tearing. The card ran on default settings and temps were aroun 60C with 20% fan. Boost keep to around 2k mark.
gw001.jpg
gw002.jpg
gw002.jpg

Last edited:
if you manually set the fan to under 30%, say 25% do they rev between 0% and 25% every second? I read a newegg complaint about that. I'm really eyeing that card or the gigabyte. As soon as I can find one in stock.

if you manually set the fan to under 30%, say 25% do they rev between 0% and 25% every second? I read a newegg complaint about that. I'm really eyeing that card or the gigabyte. As soon as I can find one in stock.
They slow down but never stop. I tried at 25 and 30%

Sounds like a great card marcoi, thanks for the thoughts.

I ended up getting my gigabyte xtreme gaming 1080 and its an amazing card. Awesome temps, smooth smooth performance at 1440. 60 fps min in pretty much all games maxed that I've tried so far.

Idles in OC mode at about 45-48 and under load with fans at about 60% it doesn't go above 65 deg C. Often times its 50-60 deg C. When it gets really hot in my room the highest I saw it go was 70 but that was with a very modest fan speeds, when i turned it up a bit temps came way down. Also card makes barely any noise.

1 issue is its so big that it does sag a little, for now I've fixed the problem with a ruler propping it up lol. But I am planning on getting an mnpctech video card bracket.

Mnpctech Single Gaming GPU Video Card Support Bracket

Pics of the card:

xtremegaming.jpg

xtremegaming2.jpg

xtremegaming3.jpg
xtremegaming4.jpg
xtremegaming5.jpg

Very nice looking cards. Those Temps are really impressive too. Looks like you got a winner there.

Very nice looking cards. Those Temps are really impressive too. Looks like you got a winner there.

Ya man, just looking at it today with idle (few browsers and pictures open), temp at 41 deg C fans at 37 %. Stock curve has the fans totally off and then it will go to 45-48, I like keeping it a little colder since i hear no sound at all from the fans.

I went with the ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme and have been very, very impressed with build quality and overclocking. So far I've only taken the card to 2101 core / 5500 memory without a voltage bump just custom fan profile. Temps haven't risen above 65 degrees. This card is massive by the way. Length wise + may as well be considered triple slot cooler height -- be sure your case can support dimensions!

0Sa0xHS.jpg

Last edited:
Back