Which GPU for 2560x1440, budget around $530

varzock

n00b
Hello guys,

I'm about to upgrade my GPU to be able to play 3D games in 2560x1440 resolution quite smoothly. My budget is max $530 (or 400 euros here in Finland).

I've been browsing forums here and there and it seems that I should wait for few months until the new Radeon cards are out so it would drop the prices of, say, 7970 models. I also have read that the GTX680 is actually faster than the new 770 model?

Here's the ages old dilemma though: Nvidia or Radeon, or does it matter? I won't do SLI, I have to go with one single GPU for my system.

Thanks for advices!

I'd say wait. It's basically $400 for a GTX 770 or $650 for a GTX 780. The new Radeons should fit somewhere in between.

The GTX 770 is a GTX 680 with new vBIOS, slightly higher core clock and better memory. It's still the same GK104 core, so no real difference.

Crossfire 7950 at $180 each?

I run a 2560x1600 on a single 7950 for sometime, no complaints in any games.

3D works by alternating frames - so to achieve 60 fps in 3D, you need to be able to achieve 120fps at 1440p - which is not very possible (depending on the game and settings) with a single GPU.

So honestly, it comes down to what you consider playable fps/game settings.

He didn't mean 3D like with glasses, just 3D rendered stuff...

Or at least, that's my inference because I'm not aware of any 1440p 3D capable monitors...

I have GTX770 and gaming on my Asus 2560x1440 monitor with BF3 everything set to high no aa but high post AA I can get 55-60 frames just about all the time.

if you can afford to save a few more pennies, I'd take a look at the 7990. The prices recently dropped on them and, so far, it has handled everything I've thrown at it without breaking a sweat. You get 8 free games with it too :)

I got it for a 1440p 120hz monitor (which I'm still waiting on)

+1 for waiting on the new AMD cards. Not saying AMD is the way you should go, it very well could be, but we don't know exactly what they will bring to the table or if nvidia will lower prices in response. At this point it's close enough that waiting is likely profitable.

I'd wait for the AMD Radeon 9xxx series to hard launch in October. Once the reviews for that series come out, you will see good deals in the "For Sale/Trade" section of this forum as folks unload their older hardware. That would be a good time to get in on some sweet deals (like a nice GTX 690/7990) for cheap ... the other alternative is, if the 9xxx series really is all that, you could get one of those. Seems like a win-win situation to me.

A GTX 680 or GTX 770 will handle that quite nicely. Or if you have the money of course the GTX 780 will also

I would vote for the 770, but the 780 price may start drifting down over the next couple of months if you can hold on for that. The Radeon 9x series has fantastic potential, but still too early to draw final conclusions. Drivers will still need work.

Love my EVGA GTX770 SC. Clocks at 1280/7500 and doesn't break the bank for under $400. Get the 4GB version for about $450 and in a year, go SLI.

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it!

Yes, I mean 3D games like WoT, Skyrim, Crysis etc. (and hopefully The Division in the future!). I'm not in a hurry since I haven't even had much time lately to play any games. What about noise then? I want it to be very quiet in idle but of course when I play, it doesn't matter if it emits some noise as long as it is just a smooth whoosh.

Another factor is the case. I have a Fractal Design Define Mini although I have a spare case (FD4) if I need it.

edit: I forgot to add that I fly to my friends' place at times and we play games there every now and then. For this I have a Silverstone Sugo SG05 so it would of course be a plus (but this is not a must) if I could also fit the new GPU in this case as well:)

edit: I forgot to add that I fly to my friends' place at times and we play games there every now and then. For this I have a Silverstone Sugo SG05 so it would of course be a plus (but this is not a must) if I could also fit the new GPU in this case as well:)

The Sugo SG05 will fit most any full sized cards discussed here. It has a GPU clearance of a little over 10", which is plenty long enough for a 770 or 780, or the higher end Radeon cards. Just make sure you have enough fan speed to get air moving in the case, because the card fans will be very close to the side panel and have a hard time sucking in clean air.

a 770 is justl like a 7970 ghz edition. the 680 is slower. either buy a 770 or wait for the new amds.

I need a VERY fast reply: I can get the ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP 3GD5 for 390 dollars. Should I pull the trigger or just wait?

So you're buying a 2 year old card while in a month AMD releases their new one? Also there are plenty of newer cards out from Nvidia....
Your logic is backwards dude.

So you're buying a 2 year old card while in a month AMD releases their new one? Also there are plenty of newer cards out from Nvidia....
Like the GTX770 that is a renamed GTX680 with a $100-200 higher price tag lol. :D

Who cares how old it is when it out performs nearly any single GPU and does so silently?

At that price you can game now, or wait and see. It's anyone's guess if you will get able to get faster/cheaper cards.

I need a VERY fast reply: I can get the ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP 3GD5 for 390 dollars. Should I pull the trigger or just wait?
Asus's 7900 dc2 cards, were known to have problems. I would stay away.

Just wait one more month, it should be worth it for you.
Like the GTX770 that is a renamed GTX680 with a $100-200 higher price tag lol. :D
You mean $100 cheaper.

Just hold out for a little while longer. Then you will have more options once AMD releases their new line of video cards. Then you can pick between a used gpu at a great price from someone upgrading. Or get e new ATI/Nvidia as the prices should drop on them from the new released video cards.

Asus's 7900 dc2 cards, were known to have problems. I would stay away.

Just wait one more month, it should be worth it for you.

You mean $100 cheaper.

New batches seems to got the "black screen" problem fixed. They have also got great overclocking features with adjustable Vcore, Vmem and VDDCI voltage.

single monitor, single GPU, either wait for next AMD cards or increase your budget to a 7990.
If none of the above fits your bill, there is no reason to go any higher than a 7950.

You really should read more about FCAT and multi GPU sistems, as things have never been better for gamers with deep pockets like your U$530 budget. You will face issues on only a few games and skyrocket your FPS.

At 1440p expect performance go like this:
760<7950<770<7970<650ti boost SLI<780<660ti SLI<titan<7950CF<7970CF<760SLI

At 1440p AMD fares better than NVIDIA in any price step. With the new drivers a single monitor setup is just perfect for CF, but CF still does not scale as well as SLI.

Back