Which generation of gamer are you?

I'm glad to be a millennial and watch the progress of nes>snes>ps1>ps2>ps3... I think those first three saw the biggest jump in quality and it was very exciting...

nowadays kids just see such small jumps in quality, it's probably like how we saw home printer quality get up there in quality and basically stop improving much between 2005-2010.... not very exciting

VR would be next on the list... or at least I hope

Late Gen X. My parents wouldn't allow a video game system but we had an Apple IIGS that I taught myself Basic with. Later we upgraded to a 486/66 and that was when I was introduced to Wolfenstein, Doom, Ultima 7, Daggerfall, Wing Commander, Privateer, MS Flight Simulator and Chuck Yeager's Combat Flight Simulator among hundreds more (I have the fondest memories of those listed) .

Been an exclusive member of the PCGMR ever since...

Good thread.

My first console was an Atari 2600. But grew out of games and started chasing women at 17.

Came back to gaming both PC and consoles around 97 ish. when I was 27.

How is that old, kids program their own games nowadays just the same as before?

How is that old, kids program their own games nowadays just the same as before?
Very uncommon these days. All kid til even adults in their 20s are very computer illiterate. Even people like my older brother who got me into computers when I was a kid can't proabably even put a computer together.

I would be Late Gen X but can say the peak of my gaming has never changed since childhood. I love gaming as much now as I did when I was a child.

Very uncommon these days.
I'd love to see some stats on this, I just see it all as being a ton more accessible than before... maybe the ratio of kids into programming is less, but overall the total number of kids is more?

I do cringe when I see things like node.js and mongo... wth are these made by kids who just like to piss off older people or what :D

I'd love to see some stats on this, I just see it all as being a ton more accessible than before... maybe the ratio of kids into programming is less, but overall the total number of kids is more?

I do cringe when I see things like node.js and mongo... wth are these made by kids who just like to piss off older people or what :D
Accessible yes. Interest in it nope.

Definitely Early Gen X, and come early 90's, both PC and Consoles. Bought my first PC (Gateway 2000 - 486) and built everything since. Still remember the first "Accelerated Graphics Card" (Canopus 'VOO DOO') and the difference it made in Jedi Knight 2. Little short of an addiction since then.

Core Gen X but I really got my start in all the Arcades which were way over anything out there.

This. The arcade is something that only Gen Xers grew up with. Almost every neighborhood had one. I remember riding my bike to the local bowling alley that had an ok arcade. There were rules too. Stacking quarters on the machine to reserve your place in line, sometimes they would be all the way down the top display of the game. Crowds of kids standing behind watching waiting for their turn to play the newest game. Stopping by everyday after school to see if your top score held up from yesterday. Glad I got those memories of being a kid.

Late Gen X. My parents wouldn't allow a video game system but we had an Apple IIGS that I taught myself Basic with. Later we upgraded to a 486/66 and that was when I was introduced to Wolfenstein, Doom, Ultima 7, Daggerfall, Wing Commander, Privateer, MS Flight Simulator and Chuck Yeager's Combat Flight Simulator among hundreds more (I have the fondest memories of those listed) .

Been an exclusive member of the PCGMR ever since...
Had Apple IIs in my 5th grade ?weekly? computer classes in the mid 80s. Was in charge of booting them up til the day I left the boot disk on a monitor turned on for some reason, lost to time........

This. The arcade is something that only Gen Xers grew up with. Almost every neighborhood had one. I remember riding my bike to the local bowling alley that had an ok arcade. There were rules too. Stacking quarters on the machine to reserve your place in line, sometimes they would be all the way down the top display of the game. Crowds of kids standing behind watching waiting for their turn to play the newest game. Stopping by everyday after school to see if your top score held up from yesterday. Glad I got those memories of being a kid.
I lived right behind an arcade, any time I can get up a pinball arcade or classic arcade I will do so. Quarter stacking, so good, taking a whole new turn in the neighborhood when Mortal Kombat was released.

Late Gen X. First console was a Coleco Vision in '85. Then when that stopped working I got an NES in '87 for my fifth birthday with Metroid, Super Mario Brothers, Gumshoe, Duck Hunt, Kung Fu/Spartan X, Gyromite (with ROB), and Ten Yard Fight.

don't really know wtf...but I have burned through a few keyboard membranes in my day

Early to core gen X and I'm not nostalgic for the old days. Not one bit. In fact I love current gaming; games, graphics and technology is finally at the point I dreamed of as a kid.

i love remembering those old games but i refuse to ever go back to play them in fear that i'll destroy all those great memories when i realize just how bad they actually look compared to modern games.

I had a VIC-20 and was going to coin-op arcades whenever possible. Defender, Stargate, Robitron 2084, Gyrus, and Tron were some of my favorites.. I got a million on Robitron and Gyrus once. As far as that list goes I guess Early Gen X..

Early Gen X. We had an Odyssey 3000 (yellow one) that I think my sister still has. Then we moved on to the Magnavox Odyssey 2.

Started out with the Pong game tables in bars in the mid-70's.

Guess according to this I'm a Core X - though as tech engineer (since 80's) I'm not a fan of console gaming at all and still prefer multiplayer games that can be hosted on servers (service that I can buy) where can add mods and such - Though I do like DLC, but hate all the in-game purchases.

I see it as the in-game selling came into play when they took around our dedicated servers to pay for their own servers that they force us all on.

Mostly late Gen-X. I had friends with the 2600 and/or a Colecovison, but my first console was the NES. I didn't get into PC gaming until the early 90's. I was at the mercy of my luddite parents in those days.
I've kept things going steadily ever since, though. I've bought every major system since the 16-bit era except the TurboGrafix 16, Dreamcast, and the first Xbox. My PC gets at least 1 decent upgrade per year (or as needed), too.

Born in 88 so I would say mid to late gen y was my high as a gamer kid every summer. by the early mid 00 I was no longer able to sit there and play games for 15 hours straight every summer day.

Something they aren't really covering: At least for me, arcades were probably a bigger part of my gaming upbringing than the consoles.

Something they aren't really covering: At least for me, arcades were probably a bigger part of my gaming upbringing than the consoles.

Same here. My parents didn't get us consoles, and I didn't get into PC gaming until X-Wing/TIE Fighter and DOOM came out in the early 90s. (Thankfully my dad was an even bigger Star Wars nerd than I was.) Going to Aladdin's Castle at the mall was my main fix until I was in my teens.

Same here. My parents didn't get us consoles, and I didn't get into PC gaming until X-Wing/TIE Fighter and DOOM came out in the early 90s. (Thankfully my dad was an even bigger Star Wars nerd than I was.) Going to Aladdin's Castle at the mall was my main fix until I was in my teens.

I actually did have consoles, but still preferred the arcade experience. Especially in the 8-bit era where the NES and Genesis versions of most arcade games were totally different.
The amount of money I put into arcade machines from the late 80's through '97 or so is staggering. The social scene that revolved around fighting games (and stuff like NBA Jam and Cyberball) was huge.

I actually did have consoles, but still preferred the arcade experience. Especially in the 8-bit era where the NES and Genesis versions of most arcade games were totally different.
The amount of money I put into arcade machines from the late 80's through '97 or so is staggering. The social scene that revolved around fighting games (and stuff like NBA Jam and Cyberball) was huge.

Hell yeah man. I had to explain to some young 'uns recently how we would *plan ahead* during the school day when we would meet up at the mall later in the evening. They are amazed how we functioned without mobile phones.

Early Millenial, I did have a Spectrum from Age 5 or so and played heaps of games on that but really it kicked up a gear when I got a PC aged 10 and a PlayStation a year or two later

Wait, I'm getting old, so I forgot about playing baseball & startrek on USN NTDS consoles running on 642a/642b's.

Hah, checkmate.

I don't understand the picture. I was born in the late 80's, but I started gaming pretty early. My first gaming experiences were on a Commodore 64 and a DOS/Windows 3.1 PC. The first video game console my parents bought was a NES, but really I only played Mario on it, even back then I preferred PC games. SNES and Game Boy opened me up a little bit more to console game, and PS1 was the first system where I would save up to buy my own video games and had what I would consider a collection. I don't understand the "peak" part though... I don't think I have peaked. So... you tell me what that means...

Back